IGNORED

Semenyo is not a striker they score goals

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Fair shout....I was out of my seat shouting.  Do you think if Antoine and the team had all appealed though we might have got it?

We've seen them given but refs know that 99% of the time players will make the most of the slightest contact, as Waghorn did last week, otherwise we'd probably see 5 or 6 penalties given each game.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Possibly, but I’d argue he might benefit from Martin....and even Wells as a partner more than Fam.  Fam just can’t form a partnership.

One little thing.  Watch Diedhiou’s aerial duels when he’s central(ish) facing our goal.  When he’s favourite to win it, he heads on behind him to the left every time.  He doesn’t flick straight on or to his right, he doesn’t look for a City player.  But....if I was Semenyo, I’d ensure my run is to that position.

That’s the partners responsibility, not Fam’s. 
The partner needs to read the flicks better, and knowing it always goes one way, you’re right, whomever the partner is ought to be heading that way. 

13 minutes ago, Harry said:

That’s the partners responsibility, not Fam’s. 
The partner needs to read the flicks better, and knowing it always goes one way, you’re right, whomever the partner is ought to be heading that way. 

That’s the point I’m making....it’s probably the rawness of Semenyo that he’s not picked up that nuance of Fam’s flick-ons.  Coaches should pick it up too.

I played up front for a pub team on a Sunday many moons ago.  We had a Dings rugby scrum-half who was quick as anything up front with me.  I used to say I will always try and flick on directly behind me, so always makes your run to end up directly behind me.  Wouldn’t always come off, but if I win it cleanly he was onto it like a shot.  And that was Sunday football....not pro!

The most creative player in the team contributing the most assists.

Have a day off. How much worse would we have been without him in the team? If we are basing strikers just on their goals then we should drop Martin, Semenyo and Fammy and just punt it up to Nakhi Wells as clearly he just scores goals irregardless of the support around him.

He had an off day today, but so did most of the team and most of all, so did Dean Holden.

3 hours ago, Better Red said:

Thats still not an opinion that’s a comment on someone else’s opinion. Let me help. Do you think he is a striker? 

It’s my opinion (rather than my OPTION) on your comment. 
And to answer your question, he’s what would be perceived as a wide striker at this point in his career, there are plenty of strikers that weren’t renowned as out & out goalscorers but that were classed as strikers as they would tend to be a partnership & do more of the spade work for their goal scoring partner.

Semenyo has currently assisted with 6 goals, now if he was in a fixed position of left-midfield, some of those goals wouldn’t of occurred (or he wouldn’t of set them up) as he would of been stuck on the wrong side of the pitch.

Maybe you are stuck too much on the title of a playing position? Semenyo certainly wouldn’t be classed as a midfielder or a winger in my OPINION but would be classed as a forward. Some people are unable to differentiate between the two.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

That’s the point I’m making....it’s probably the rawness of Semenyo that he’s not picked up that nuance of Fam’s flick-ons.  Coaches should pick it up too.

I played up front for a pub team on a Sunday many moons ago.  We had a Dings rugby scrum-half who was quick as anything up front with me.  I used to say I will always try and flick on directly behind me, so always makes your run to end up directly behind me.  Wouldn’t always come off, but if I win it cleanly he was onto it like a shot.  And that was Sunday football....not pro!

Absolutely, I agree on the premise that the partner should be aware of the flicks, but you started with the comment that it is Fam who can’t form partnerships, which I thought implied that it was his fault that his flicks weren’t being picked up. 

I agree that Fam is a difficult one to find a partnership with - he’s not a target man but is often used as one. He’s hard to pigeon-hole into one style. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

Absolutely, I agree on the premise that the partner should be aware of the flicks, but you started with the comment that it is Fam who can’t form partnerships, which I thought implied that it was his fault that his flicks weren’t being picked up. 

I agree that Fam is a difficult one to find a partnership with - he’s not a target man but is often used as one. He’s hard to pigeon-hole into one style. 

Yeah, I should’ve been clearer.  Yeah, not blaming Fam for this.

45 minutes ago, Harry said:

Or Harry,

Being blunt - what’s he actually good at , let alone very good at - most of the positive comments tend to come about his defending from set pieces

If you were trying to sell him to a prospective buyer , what would be your sales pitch

Im dissapointed that he hasn’t improved whilst here IMHO - His touch is so poor and something that should be improved , 

And I don’t think despite his ‘look’ he’s a great athlete , not so much his fault , but fitness is something he can work on and improve

Time to move on from Famara for me , if we are serious about progression

Ruthless , but necessary IMHO

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Or Harry,

Being blunt - what’s he actually good at , let alone very good at - most of the positive comments tend to come about his defending from set pieces

If you were trying to sell him to a prospective buyer , what would be your sales pitch

Im dissapointed that he hasn’t improved whilst here IMHO - His touch is so poor and something that should be improved , 

And I don’t think despite his ‘look’ he’s a great athlete , not so much his fault , but fitness is something he can work on and improve

Time to move on from Famara for me , if we are serious about progression

Ruthless , but necessary IMHO

Not the only we should be ruthless with.

• Flames 2

Just now, Davefevs said:

Not the only we should be ruthless with.

I agree Dave , if we want to progress

Cant all be done at once - but we need two or three windows where we get recruitment spot on

I know it’s an old debate but our recruitment over the last few seasons (As most in my life watching City) has been very mixed , and thanks to LJ , muddled and some harsh decisions needed 

How many in DHs shoes would you be desperate to keep and build around ??

Quick thoughts

Bentley

JD probably

Semenyo

Kalas ?  Probably

Bakinson (Due to Age and possible potential)

Vyner (Due to Age and possible potential)

Williams (If he turns out what we hooe he will be)

Wells (No messiah but we need to maintain some goals in squad)

After that.....

Do you think Holden is brave enough / ruthless enough , I have a suspicion he may well be - let’s hope his recruitment is good (a big question mark over The ‘recruitment team’ still for me )

• Like 1

I disagree. This is a kid who is coming up to speed on professional football. He has 3 very good championship strikers to learn off of as well as two former England youth coaches. He has plenty of time and definitely think he is showing promise in central positions that I did not see before this season. 

Sure he is more comfortable at this minute starting wide but definitely think long term he will be will be a central striker. Though do think as a team we are better suited to 433 than 532 and that would mean playing a wider role for now

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Possibly, but I’d argue he might benefit from Martin....and even Wells as a partner more than Fam.  Fam just can’t form a partnership.

One little thing.  Watch Diedhiou’s aerial duels when he’s central(ish) facing our goal.  When he’s favourite to win it, he heads on behind him to the left every time.  He doesn’t flick straight on or to his right, he doesn’t look for a City player.  But....if I was Semenyo, I’d ensure my run is to that position.

Pointed this out to my wife watching yesterday, that's only if he manages to win a header.

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Fair shout....I was out of my seat shouting.  Do you think if Antoine and the team had all appealed though we might have got it?

As a collective we are not as good as other teams in putting pressure on the officials. Other teams are far more effective than us and ultimately benefit from that pressure. A club not too far from us definitely benefit from it.

I have noted that we seem to be committing more fouls in the opposition half, something a lot of teams do to stop momentum and getting caught on quick breaks.

7 minutes ago, Rich said:

As a collective we are not as good as other teams in putting pressure on the officials. Other teams are far more effective than us and ultimately benefit from that pressure. A club not too far from us definitely benefit from it.

I have noted that we seem to be committing more fouls in the opposition half, something a lot of teams do to stop momentum and getting caught on quick breaks.

I sometimes wonder how much referees are influenced not only by match events but by individual teams records? As you say the other side are regularly given penalties as are teams like Man U. , not because they've earned the penalty but in the referee's mind they always get one so this must also be one!

I think after Man U's record last season of 20? penalties they are already on 1 every 2 games this season?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Some brilliant glimpses and raw talent - but at some point he has to start adding goals to his game.

You'd hope that it could be a case of, get the first and the second will follow soon after. He is certainly getting himself into good positions. 

I guess the question is: he's never really been a goal scorer, his loans (apart from at Bath was it?) have shown that he is not one of these natural finishers banging them away at a lower level and just taking time to step up to the Championship. He's got it physically for this league, so...

I give you Bobby Reid!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pillred said:

I give you Bobby Reid!

Bobby Reid, love him. But TBF, goal scoring-wise he had one good season for us. Since he moved he scored 5 in 30 at Cardiff and 6 in 31 at Fulham.

Not prolific goals wise, but we know his game is much more than that.

Very different player to Semenyo though.

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Bobby Reid, love him. But TBF, goal scoring-wise he had one good season for us. Since he moved he scored 5 in 30 at Cardiff and 6 in 31 at Fulham.

Not prolific goals wise, but we know his game is much more than that.

Very different player to Semenyo though.

Was just an example of a player not thought of as a natural striker suddenly coming good, but yes he has been a bit disappointing since, a case of a player just being a good fit at a club? 

Because I’m old and really don’t care anymore, I will make an observation of this thread that really gets on my tits. 

Semenyo is not a “striker” he is a forward. The constant reference to the word striker implies goal scorer. Where as the term forward implies he plays in front of the team and tries to create and hopefully take chances. 

should Semenyo be getting on the score sheet more often. Of course. But he has six/seven assists in his role as a forward. 

semenyo is not as effective with Fammy but very effective with Wells and Martin. 

A few goals will come, however it’s pretty obvious FD AND AS really are not that dangerous together. 

Anyway the point IS we have good forwards with one real goal scorer which is Wells. If you want to call him a striker I could just about stomach it. The other three are forwards. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

31 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Because I’m old and really don’t care anymore, I will make an observation of this thread that really gets on my tits. 

Semenyo is not a “striker” he is a forward. The constant reference to the word striker implies goal scorer. Where as the term forward implies he plays in front of the team and tries to create and hopefully take chances. 

should Semenyo be getting on the score sheet more often. Of course. But he has six/seven assists in his role as a forward. 

semenyo is not as effective with Fammy but very effective with Wells and Martin. 

A few goals will come, however it’s pretty obvious FD AND AS really are not that dangerous together. 

Anyway the point IS we have good forwards with one real goal scorer which is Wells. If you want to call him a striker I could just about stomach it. The other three are forwards. 

Where did the term striker come from...was it German football?  It’s interesting that the German squad is now announced with Goalkeepers / Defenders / Forwards.

I still like the terms Defender, Midfielder and Forward.  Semenyo and Wells are both forwards, but play the role differently.

Just now, Sheltons Army said:

;)

55A56F92-DF94-48E9-B93E-BD38B5DCE936.jpeg

My cousin had striker.  The bog standard set came with goalies who’s top half would swivel do they could throw it out....or into their own net frequently!  Or you could buy diving keepers that dived so slow that the ball was in the back of the net before they’d got down to it.

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Where did the term striker come from...was it German football?  It’s interesting that the German squad is now announced with Goalkeepers / Defenders / Forwards.

I still like the terms Defender, Midfielder and Forward.  Semenyo and Wells are both forwards, but play the role differently.

I think it really took hold in England because of a newspaper cartoon, but you may well be right about Germany.

Let’s be honest it sounds sexy, however skews the view people have of football and particularly the role of forwards as the implication is out and out goal scorer and that’s rarely the case. 

Yes Antoine needs another goal soon but the premise of the thread is completely wrong and I thoroughly agree with your analogy of Semenyo and Wells. 

51 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My cousin had striker.  The bog standard set came with goalies who’s top half would swivel do they could throw it out....or into their own net frequently!  Or you could buy diving keepers that dived so slow that the ball was in the back of the net before they’d got down to it.

Was the ‘Most Wanted’ toy of the day wasn’t it - the new football toy development after subbuteo 

was envious of those that got it  !

How times have changed !

On 28/11/2020 at 15:26, Bassomylord said:

Semenyo MUST play out wide.

He came to attention when at Newport on that cup run few years back playing in a wide position, getting the ball in space, and advancing on defenders and walking past them like they were  static tree trunks.  He has shown glimpses of that form this season, but playing in the centre, or more central,  he dos not seem to get the chance to get that head of steam up. SEM  can be an absolute star with the ability he has. I would play him in a PATO or COD role every day.  

Like Semenyo. big, strong, good with the ball. He already got six assists and he will score soon. 433 suits him and the team better. Martin, Wells and Semenyo is a good combination. Also like many others say here, play him instead of COD, or Pato. Semenyo alwsys go forward and tries to do something with the ball, six assists and the goalies have made good saves stoping him to score. Without Semenyo we would be mutch more poor going forward. He has his place in the team and he will continue to assist and hopefully score soon.

• Like 1