IGNORED

What's Massengo good at?

INB Red

11 minutes ago, INB Red said:

I'm not sure so I'm asking the knowledgable OITB members like yourself

I and most I know, fully agree. 

He's likeable, clearly has some talent, but what does he actually do....?!

Hes not creative. He's not a defensive rock. 

He can be neat and tidy, but is often to weak and dithers on the ball. 

I don't know if he struggles with the pace of the English game, or is just to young to have found his place, or just isn't really notably good at any part of the game. 

Last week he had to stop training because of chest pains, he has also been ill.

He looked completely off the pace today when he came on, but I really struggle with the logic of posts like this.

What is the OP trying to say? He is shit? That he fluked playing in The Champions League at 17? 
That last season, when fit, it was our imagination that he looked a good player?

He is still young, he clearly isn’t in favour, but there genuinely is no point to this.

1 minute ago, headhunter said:

No sign of the player we saw in his first half a dozen or so games - has bulked up but regressed from a skills perspective

As DaveFevs said he had 8 minutes. Yes , 8 bloody minutes to get into a game when he hasn’t played for weeks and has had a positive COVID test so was in isolation.

He was introduced as the ship was going down and no way could he bail us out. 

What does he do ?

Normally he sweeps up , links play between defence and attack, snuffs out opposition attacks and makes a general nuisance of himself.

I think he has been asked to be more disciplined in his work as in his  earlier appearances he was everywhere.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He looked completely off the pace today when he came on, but I really struggle with the logic of posts like this.

What is the OP trying to say? He is shit? That he fluked playing in The Champions League at 17? 
That last season, when fit, it was our imagination that he looked a good player?

He is still young, he clearly isn’t in favour, but there genuinely is no point to this.

Like I said I'm genuinely asking, there's no hiddden insuination in my post like you say. Just want other perspectives. There's good players that aren't particularly good at one thing

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I think sometimes we’re too fast to spread the hate when a player has one bad game (or a bad 8 minutes in this case). 

We should save the hate for players who are regularly shit... a la Pato. 

No hate here. This is the last time I'm going to say this

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Thank you.

To the OP, actually give us your thoughts as something to agree with or debate.  “What’s Massengo good at” is very leading in your view without giving us anything to go on.  What do you think he’s good at?  What do you think he isn’t / needs to develop?

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

As DaveFevs said he had 8 minutes. Yes , 8 bloody minutes to get into a game when he hasn’t played for weeks and has had a positive COVID test so was in isolation.

What does he do ?

Normally he sweeps up , links play between defence and attack, snuffs out opposition attacks and makes a general nuisance of himself.

I think he has been asked to be more disciplined in his work as in his  earlier appearances he was everywhere.

My comment was not based on today's showing! When did he have a game of note. For that matter when did O'Dowda? Feb 2019 Norwich away is the last one that comes to mind!

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Thank you.

To the OP, actually give us your thoughts as something to agree with or debate.  “What’s Massengo good at” is very leading in your view without giving us anything to go on.  What do you think he’s good at?  What do you think he isn’t / needs to develop?

I don't want to debate, I asked a question and expected answers. You're all assuming I don't rate Massengo when I don't ahve particularly strong feelings towards him either way. Like one person said, there's many worse players at the club at the moment and we're still in a good position so no need for witch hunts anyway. He's still a very, very young player.

He’s been very average for about a year. There is nothing I could point to that gives me the slightest thought that he would be in the squad if it were not for him injuries. And let’s face it, he knows it. 

The boy is out of his depth or simply doesn’t want to play.

Bottling out of challenges is always a sign of a lack of commitment. 

12 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

What does he do ?

Thanks, this is what I asked for

Leave the kid alone. Ask yourself have we got a 19 year old anywhere nearly as good as him the answer is no . At that age young players seem to  have periods of performing good and bad but overall this kid is a talent for the future and needs looking after. He is too good to be loaned out and being in and around the first team will benefit his footballing education.

Never rated him - but I work in IT not football so what do I know as a fan? 
He comes across as lightweight and wasteful with the ball. 
Having said that he’s still young and I’d be absolutely delighted if he suddenly ‘clicked’ and gave a good performance. I really want him to succeed - same as I want Dean Holden to succeed and LJ too in their roles as well as all our players. 
Come on Han - prove me wrong. 
Semenyo has proved me wrong so far this season - I didn’t rate him either but he’s playing really well now. Maybe Han can do the same?

1 minute ago, gavlin said:

Leave the kid alone. Ask yourself have we got a 19 year old anywhere nearly as good as him the answer is no . At that age young players seem to  have periods of performing good and bad but overall this kid is a talent for the future and needs looking after. He is too good to be loaned out and being in and around the first team will benefit his footballing education.

please read my other comments

11 minutes ago, headhunter said:

My comment was not based on today's showing! When did he have a game of note. For that matter when did O'Dowda? Feb 2019 Norwich away is the last one that comes to mind!

Massengo - Exeter, first game of this season (imho he was one of 3 or 4 who were MOTM contenders).  He’s only started one more game, versus Coventry.  Yes that was a Lg2 opponent.

To the OP - Massengo is good at progressive pass and move football.  He’s good at anticipating and intercepting.  He has good energy levels.

I think he suits certain midfield partners than others.

4 minutes ago, gavlin said:

Key word here is 19. Think we forget this usually means inconsistency. The key to whether he will become a really good player is how he reacts to this period of form. I also think the fact that we got him from Monaco is blurring expectations (and his previous excellence) a bit - he’s still 19.

2 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Key word here is 19. Think we forget this usually means inconsistency. The key to whether he will become a really good player is how he reacts to this period of form. I also think the fact that we got him from Monaco is blurring expectations (and his previous excellence) a bit - he’s still 19.

Digressing....I think Bakinson is under scrutiny too.  Came in and did well (as did Massengo) but we saw before his migraine and COVID that opposition start targeting you.  He’s done well to get through those games, but he’s just 6 starts into his Championship career.  I do think he’s got something about him and I think his physicality might help him (more than Massengo) but we were raving last season about Han-Noah too 5/6 games in too.

Only 8 minutes today but he came on and killed a couple of our attacks.

Real basics - his passes were laborious and behind his target who then has to adjust. We lose momentum they get players behind the ball. 

He consistently wants too long on the ball and takes too many touches when it’s completely unnecessary.

Appreciate he’s only 19 but he really should have adjusted to the pace of the Championship by now - he’s made enough appearances.

With everyone fit, I don’t even see a place for him in the squad.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Digressing....I think Bakinson is under scrutiny too.  Came in and did well (as did Massengo) but we saw before his migraine and COVID that opposition start targeting you.  He’s done well to get through those games, but he’s just 6 starts into his Championship career.  I do think he’s got something about him and I think his physicality might help him (more than Massengo) but we were raving last season about Han-Noah too 5/6 games in too.

See also Antoine?

Always thought the right move this season would have been a season long loan move for him, not sure where i would have sent him mind..maybe a move out on the continent would have suited him best. He certainly needs a run of games and I think he is better than your traditional League 1 or 2 loan move that we seem to send most of our young’uns on..we all saw what he was capable of last season in spells to know that there is potentially a top player in him.

1 minute ago, bris red said:

Always thought the right move this season would have been a season long loan move for him, not sure where i would have sent him mind..maybe a move out on the continent would have suited him best. He certainly needs a run of games and I think he is better than your traditional League 1 or 2 loan move that we seem to send most of our young’uns on..we all saw what he was capable of last season in spells to know that there is potentially a top player in him.

His family are with him in Bristol so it would have to be a team in the south/Midlands?

6 minutes ago, bris red said:

Agree....I thought France or maybe Bundesliga.2

3 minutes ago, Midred said:

His family are with him in Bristol so it would have to be a team in the south/Midlands?

Tough world is football.  If abroad was the right place for Han, they so be it.  Harsh maybe.

41 minutes ago, gavlin said:

We have a 20 year old who is better - Semenyo

Massengo should take a leaf from Antoine’s book and drop a level on loan to get as much first team football as possible.

Archived