IGNORED

Kasey Palmer

liamhealeybcfc96

57 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think the midfield was the problem in that respect yesterday but a front-man who it’s virtually impossible to play off of when he’s playing like that.  Palmer wouldn’t have solved it yesterday.  You need a striker who loves it into feet....Chris Martin, or a clever runner off the shoulder....Wells.

Dasilva was already an agreed fee (as part of the loan) and we signed him 6 weeks ahead of Palmer.  So very unlikely to be anything to do with it.  If anything Chelsea made us pay over the odds on Kalas (1 week after Jay) as we’d pulled their pants down on Jay (£2m).

Might be Swansea’s kit, but he looked like he’d put a bit of timber on in the highlights I saw the other night.

He has a lot of talent, but he would t be the first player with talent not to fulfil it.

Glad it wasn’t just me Dave

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

If we do get Swansea to take him off our hands in January it’s likely to be for a cut-down price as they’ll need to take on his wages too.  I’d like to think we could play hardball, but I think even MA might struggle to charm a deal on this one.

So if Diedhiou signs a pre-contract abroad and say Palmer goes for £1m....we’ve lost £8m combined.  Now, from an FFP point of view it’s not quite that bad as most of Fam’s fee has been amortised over the first 3 years of his contract.

I guess from Swansea’s point of view, they could easily turn around & say if we’re that desperate to get rid of him then we’ll pay part of his wages (while also taking a hit on his fee) but would we be that desperate to get rid? He’s been no trouble here so it’s not like a Tomlin situation where we need to get rid for the benefit of the rest of the squad.

And Swansea are unlikely to have much wage budget left to play with I’d suggest after paying Ayew his rumoured £80k-£90m p/w & all the other Premier League players they have on loan, granted there could be agreements for percentages of those wages but I’d still expect them to be fairly expensive.

Swansea could also just opt to keep KP until the summer & then see where they stand with players & what division they are in. I mean, would they really want to commit to any deal for him now plus let’s say a 3 year contract if they then get promoted (which must be their ambition this season)? If he’s hardly playing for them now & they've been bitten by giving players dodgy contracts previously (Ayew), will they be so stupid again?

9 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Glad it wasn’t just me Dave

Thought they’d signed Akinfenwa! ?

3 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I guess from Swansea’s point of view, they could easily turn around & say if we’re that desperate to get rid of him then we’ll pay part of his wages (while also taking a hit on his fee) but would we be that desperate to get rid? He’s been no trouble here so it’s not like a Tomlin situation where we need to get rid for the benefit of the rest of the squad.

And Swansea are unlikely to have much wage budget left to play with I’d suggest after paying Ayew his rumoured £80k-£90m p/w & all the other Premier League players they have on loan, granted there could be agreements for percentages of those wages but I’d still expect them to be fairly expensive.

Swansea could also just opt to keep KP until the summer & then see where they stand with players & what division they are in. I mean, would they really want to commit to any deal for him now plus let’s say a 3 year contract if they then get promoted (which must be their ambition this season)? If he’s hardly playing for them now & they've been bitten by giving players dodgy contracts previously (Ayew), will they be so stupid again?

Our only option (imho) is tell Swansea we are recalling him in January (we have that option) unless they stump up a fee and wages.

Swansea might turn around and say he’s not a starter, we will take our chances on someone else thank you very much.

Will be a test of MA’s skills.

He’s allegedly on £20k per week.

I’ve no real feel how this will play out.  Nobody holds the aces in this one ??‍♂️

4 hours ago, Red Skin said:

Every player gets a chance to impress every day in every training session.  KP obviously hasn't convinced the current staff he deserves a chance more than others in the squad.

You might argue that Pato and Callum haven't translated that to performances on the pitch consistently enough, but the days of throwing a player on into the team to see how he does are gone.   We can't give every player in the squad a run of games to see how they get on.  You'd throw away a season doing that.  They have to earn it in training.  

It's a no from me.  

They do but even just looking at this season Nagy was barely involved at the beginning and only came in because Bakinson was out and now he’s been one of our best players.

4 hours ago, hail gus cesaer said:

When you say he has never been given a run in the team, pretty sure he started the the first 10ish games of last season, got a few assists but offered next to kettle defensively got dropped and  never got in! 
He needs a system built around him I think for him to shine and I’m not sure we are prepared to to do that, no matter how talented he is!

Palmer played 25 games last season (1,057 minutes), only 11 of which were starts, (his last against WBA in November) and got 3 assists and 1 goal. 

COD played 32 games (1,614 minutes), 17 of which were starts, and got 1 goal and 1 assist. 

Even this season Palmer has more goals and assists for us, even if it was only against Northampton. 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Our only option (imho) is tell Swansea we are recalling him in January (we have that option) unless they stump up a fee and wages.

Swansea might turn around and say he’s not a starter, we will take our chances on someone else thank you very much.

I’ve no real feel how this will play out.  Nobody holds the aces in this one ??‍♂️

I can see negotiations playing out like that but I could also see Swansea calling our bluff by not taking him, why would they? And where does that leave us? How many other clubs would now be looking to take him if he did return to us in January having not cemented a place in ours or Swansea’s starting line-up. Why would anyone then be looking to pay anywhere near £20k p/w in wages plus whatever fee we wanted unless we get stuck with a chunk of his wages.

I think the club would need to decide how desperate we are to cut our losses & get rid or if they would rather keep him on board to pad the squad out to enable us to rest Paterson for game here & there.

3 minutes ago, Wade Wilson said:

They do but even just looking at this season Nagy was barely involved at the beginning and only came in because Bakinson was out and now he’s been one of our best players

Nagy got his chance because he was then the best option with Bakinson unavailable.   Who's to say we wouldn't be doing better with Bakinson in the team instead of Nagy. 

I do rate Nagy though and glad to see him involved.  I think he has proved himself and has just been unlucky regarding selection.  I don't thin KP has proved himself as far as the defensive side of the game goes.

44 minutes ago, Wade Wilson said:

They do but even just looking at this season Nagy was barely involved at the beginning and only came in because Bakinson was out and now he’s been one of our best players.

Palmer played 25 games last season (1,057 minutes), only 11 of which were starts, (his last against WBA in November) and got 3 assists and 1 goal. 

COD played 32 games (1,614 minutes), 17 of which were starts, and got 1 goal and 1 assist. 

Even this season Palmer has more goals and assists for us, even if it was only against Northampton. 

The point I was making is Kasey doesn’t track back and looks disinterested at times, like I said he seems to want the team and a system built around him to make him tick, I don’t think we are prepared to do that!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Agree but only problem with that strategy is he was an unused sub yet again today.

Not exactly desperate to have him, are they?

3 minutes ago, hail gus cesaer said:

The point I was making is Kasey doesn’t track back and looks disinterested at times, like I said he seems to want the team and a system built around him to make him tick, I don’t think we are prepared to do that!

He’s not perfect defensively, hell even our defenders aren’t, but why does he get *so* much more defensive stick than anyone else? Pato has literally, single handedly, gifted a goal away this season. If Palmer had done that he’d have been out of the squad for 5 months. There has to be a middle ground between Pato screwing up and keeping his place week after week and Palmer screwing up and being cast out. It’s no wonder he may look disinterested, he’s hardly been man managed well has he? 

3 minutes ago, Wade Wilson said:

He’s not perfect defensively, hell even our defenders aren’t, but why does he get *so* much more defensive stick than anyone else? Pato has literally, single handedly, gifted a goal away this season. If Palmer had done that he’d have been out of the squad for 5 months. There has to be a middle ground between Pato screwing up and keeping his place week after week and Palmer screwing up and being cast out. It’s no wonder he may look disinterested, he’s hardly been man managed well has he? 

Don’t deny that but it seems to be a pattern everywhere he goes at some point you’ve got to say is it the club or is it down to him???

My daughter is a follower of him and his partner on social media. They have constantly said how happy and settled they are at Swansea, they have relocated their family there and are expecting another baby.

I don’t think he will be back, or if he is he won’t be happy here compared to what he seems to have at Swansea.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

My daughter is a follower of him and his partner on social media. They have constantly said how happy and settled they are at Swansea, they have relocated their family there and are expecting another baby.

I don’t think he will be back, or if he is he won’t be happy here compared to what he seems to have at Swansea.

He was happy and settled here too!!

But a footballer’s life comes with no guarantee of stability these days.

I’m a fan, but i think it’s him that’s gonna have to adjust his game rather than have a team built around him.

@Wade Wilson I don’t think he’s as lazy defensively as others make out either.  It’s not lack of effort, I just don’t think he’s great at it.  He hares around inefficiently, tiring himself out.

On 29/11/2020 at 09:51, City oz said:

Stop blaming individual players can i suggest its DH the one you should be pointing your comments too and not the player or players. “Busy bees” and the lack of creative agreement I understand but its not the players its the positions they are put in by the governor and that is DH.

Many posts over the last few weeks are targeting players abilities by what I call home alone wan a be experts.

i think our current squad is good but not the depth for a true promotion push this season.

its the manager where the responsibility lies to manage the players and put forward his directive in the starting 11.

Nope, the players have to be accountable, they are the ones on the pitch. I’d be prepared to listen to a reasoned argument for Kasey Palmer, but I’m yet to a reason why we should even keep him let alone him being in the starting 11.

I can think of a couple of champagne moments for him as it were, but it anything they add to the show pony argument.

Well, we invested a sizeable amount to buy him from Chelsea. Others could have but we showed the faith.

He is exactly the type of player we need.

His speed of thought is there for all to see and I am disappointed that the coaching staff, for whatever reason, haven't been able to coach him into being a better player without the ball. 

48 minutes ago, Swede said:

Well, we invested a sizeable amount to buy him from Chelsea. Others could have but we showed the faith.

He is exactly the type of player we need.

His speed of thought is there for all to see and I am disappointed that the coaching staff, for whatever reason, haven't been able to coach him into being a better player without the ball. 

You cannot make a player be better without the ball. You can coach them how to do it but then they have to do it themselves 

I think the 5-3-2 with Nagy and Bakinson behind Palmer who has a bit more of an advanced role would hopefully see us retain possession much better.

Bentley

Hunt Vyner Kalas Mariappa Rowe

Nagy Bakinson

Palmer

Wells Martin

I'd be happy with that team with who is available right now.

I think it was the right decision to loan him out and would be the right decision to recall him.
Not a golden ticket, by any stretch of the imagination, but would give a better midfield balance in view of our injuries at present.
I would like to see Massengo in a more attacking role, too. I read somewhere on here that he plays this role for France U23s. Surely worth a punt.  

Archived