IGNORED

Kasey Palmer

liamhealeybcfc96

On 24/12/2020 at 01:04, Davefevs said:

I’d be after a new RB, someone like Nyambe

Long been a big fan of Nyambe....hell of a player.

Fortune favours the brave & I think we should push the boat as far as possible,,,be cheeky & go for him...

Not sure where he sits contract wise at the moment to be honest..

Wondering what the 'difference of opinion' initially would be in negotiation,,let alone the many imponderables!!

I think one of the issues we have with Palmer is that he needs someone with pace up top.  It’s no good playing a defence splitting pass with Wells or Martin as neither has the pace to beat a half decent defence over a 30-40 yard sprint.  Maybe Semenyo is the answer but he hasn’t found his shooting boots yet. 

Afobe had pace, strength and a quicker mind than the defenders he was playing against so he was able to see the picture earlier.  Without his injury, I think we would be having very different conversations now.

I have written this elsewhere (or perhaps even earlier in this thread) but to get the best out of Wells, he should be played as a lone striker with fluid players playing the ball through for him. Palmer could replicate much of what Eze provided for Wells at QPR last season. 

Looking at Dave’s options, my favourite would be the Christmas tree (4-3-2-1), which is a variation of what we have already been playing with 3 in midfield. I would partner Semenyo with Palmer for Wells and leave both Martin and Diedhiou as substitute options up front.

We need a midfield 3 that can provide cover for our defence. We are still conceding too many goals. Bakinson as a stronger physical presence while we wait for Williams return to fitness, plus Nagy and either Massengo or CO’D would seem the best that we can do at present.

And whatever formation we play, we seem reliant on Hunt and Rowe coming forward on the wings to provide width.

It all sounds good in theory but with the players’ form after 4 defeats in the last 5 games likely low and Rowett’s megaphone message that our players don’t like the physical challenge of the game, the chances of us slipping further down the table remain worryingly high.

2 minutes ago, Glyn Rileys Mullet said:

I think one of the issues we have with Palmer is that he needs someone with pace up top.  It’s no good playing a defence splitting pass with Wells or Martin as neither has the pace to beat a half decent defence over a 30-40 yard sprint.  Maybe Semenyo is the answer but he hasn’t found his shooting boots yet. 

Afobe had pace, strength and a quicker mind than the defenders he was playing against so he was able to see the picture earlier.  Without his injury, I think we would be having very different conversations now.

Not even Pace necessarily , just some good movement ,which Wells has. We haven't had anyone to play that ball early enough, to spot runs, in and behind for Wells . Yes we could probably do with some pace, but start with decent service and movement, which should go hand in hand.I think  HNM, Bakinson & palmer are capable of supplying the pass, Wells does try and pull defenders around, not his fault he's been playing wide.  I think we need to get them playing closer together and work on their movement .

1 minute ago, Dr Balls said:

I have written this elsewhere (or perhaps even earlier in this thread) but to get the best out of Wells, he should be played as a lone striker with fluid players playing the ball through for him. Palmer could replicate much of what Eze provided for Wells at QPR last season. 

Looking at Dave’s options, my favourite would be the Christmas tree (4-3-2-1), which is a variation of what we have already been playing with 3 in midfield. I would partner Semenyo with Palmer for Wells and leave both Martin and Diedhiou as substitute options up front.

We need a midfield 3 that can provide cover for our defence. We are still conceding too many goals. Bakinson as a stronger physical presence while we wait for Williams return to fitness, plus Nagy and either Massengo or CO’D would seem the best that we can do at present.

And whatever formation we play, we seem reliant on Hunt and Rowe coming forward on the wings to provide width.

It all sounds good in theory but with the players’ form after 4 defeats in the last 5 games likely low and Rowett’s megaphone message that our players don’t like the physical challenge of the game, the chances of us slipping further down the table remain worryingly high.

Reading through this thread many fans focus on what KP doesn't do and usually by comparison with our other midfielders. In our current set up, it is difficult to argue against this, but then again the way we currently setting up doesn't seem to be working, and especially as far as our attacking threat is concerned

You’ve posted pretty well what  was going to post, in that we have in Wells  a proven goalscorer at this level, but the way we are currently setting up just doesn't seem the way to get the best out of him. If you focus  on getting the best out of Wells then KP has to be considered, as he has what our other midfielders don’t. 

24 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Not even Pace necessarily , just some good movement ,which Wells has. We haven't had anyone to play that ball early enough, to spot runs, in and behind for Wells . Yes we could probably do with some pace, but start with decent service and movement, which should go hand in hand.I think  HNM, Bakinson & palmer are capable of supplying the pass, Wells does try and pull defenders around, not his fault he's been playing wide.  I think we need to get them playing closer together and work on their movement .

Just as @Sheltons Armysaid about the back four being trained by joining them together with a rope, I think striker pairings need to work the same.  A nice 10m bit of elastic that stretches to 20m.  Tow each other around the pitch.

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Not surprised.

Now we need to work out how he fits in. How do we get the best out of him.

I would like us to recall Pring too. Not sure on Jonny Smith, but we are short of wingers and we now play wingers so maybe that would make sense too. Clearly got pace and quick feet. Even Owura Edwards might surprise a few if he makes the bench and comes on late in games.

Going back to Palmer, him and Wells had some success whilst at Huddersfield. 

We know Palmer behind Diedhiou would never work, but behind Martin? Maybe not. Bit different to Fam though.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Palmer and Martin work you know.. they both like the ball played into feet and are both capable of playing it into feet nearly in the final 3rd, Martin has that bit of experience/intelligence the other strikers perhaps don’t have. Then again, Palmer has proved he can pick a 40yd pass, Martin wins headers in the box.. I mean surely it’s worth a try (yes I’m clutching at straws ? )

23 minutes ago, BCFC_95 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Palmer and Martin work you know.. they both like the ball played into feet and are both capable of playing it into feet nearly in the final 3rd, Martin has that bit of experience/intelligence the other strikers perhaps don’t have. Then again, Palmer has proved he can pick a 40yd pass, Martin wins headers in the box.. I mean surely it’s worth a try (yes I’m clutching at straws ? )

Palmer won't work with anyone unless he ups his work rate and commitment on the field

44 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Not surprised.

Now we need to work out how he fits in. How do we get the best out of him.

I would like us to recall Pring too. Not sure on Jonny Smith, but we are short of wingers and we now play wingers so maybe that would make sense too. Clearly got pace and quick feet. Even Owura Edwards might surprise a few if he makes the bench and comes on late in games.

Going back to Palmer, him and Wells had some success whilst at Huddersfield. 

We know Palmer behind Diedhiou would never work, but behind Martin? Maybe not. Bit different to Fam though.

Don’t think so

IIRC @Davefevsresearched this and IIRC Palmer didn’t assist one goal for Wells

Lets hope something snaps in him , because if you’d watched him for Swansea as a potential signing you’d laugh at the thought 

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Good point. I know Brown played a lot behind Wells as I think Palmer was injured for a while. 

I just assumed they might have been good as I imagine Wells would suit Palmer. Can't even remember seeing them both in the same team!

I agree , in theory they should suit each other with Wells movement and Palmers eye for a pass

I still think the main hope for Palmer rests as a second striker or as a No 10 with one striker 

1 hour ago, redpole said:

When he went back to Chelsea before he signed for us permanently he was used on the left in a front 3 in a 433 formation. I think he would be best for us there with wells down the middle and semenyo on the right. 

That could be interesting- Palmer left forwardish- wide left forwardish- Semenyo right, Wells middle?

Always associated Palmer as largely a central player though?

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That could be interesting- Palmer left forwardish- wide left forwardish- Semenyo right, Wells middle?

KP in behind Wells (4231) would suit. This his chance, time to step up and take it. 

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If you read Chelsea reports on Palmer they saw him as a wide left player with gaps left by Pedro etc. They didn’t see him as a CM player didn’t think that was his position. 

6 hours ago, Top Robin said:

And with all of his undoubted skills, wherever he plays, I hope he gets a bit more mobile and starts hassling and harassing the opposition and putting in some tackles....as per Bobby Reid used to.

Personally think that’s a bit of a myth with Palmer, I actually felt his work rate wasn’t bad, he did hassle & close down. Maybe his positional sense was of at times or his stamina faded, but for me he did hassle & close down. I’d play him in a 3-5-2 as the furthest forward of the middle 3, with two security players behind him. COYR

Just now, Simon79 said:

Personally think that’s a bit of a myth with Palmer, I actually felt his work rate wasn’t bad, he did hassle & close down. Maybe his positional sense was of at times or his stamina faded, but for me he did hassle & close down. I’d play him in a 3-5-2 as the furthest forward of the middle 3, with two security players behind him. COYR

Agree.

33 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

No one has replied to this and I still cannot find any indication that Palmer has been recalled.  Has this been confirmed?

No confirmation yet that i am aware of.. Im still not hopeful Palmer will add anything to us anyway but it’s another body for the management team to choose from I suppose.

Always thought this signing was odd.

Appeared to be one of MAs/SLs  ‘bonus buys’. In LJs defence don’t think he was particularly fussed about getting him. Didn’t overly impress on loan and was definitely not a ‘busy bee’. Strange one.

Only chance, if he returns, is if he can develop a few playing partnerships (attacking and defence) with some in the squad. Had the makings of that with Afobe. 

The Club are next to useless at building partnerships, so I don’t hold out much hope.

Archived