IGNORED

Jamie McAllister

man in the middle

Not sure if it's the best move from LJ really. I think it could be better for him to surround himself with different coaches, perhaps some with lots of experience (I don't know who else he's appointed/kept so may have already done this). 

He's friends with McAllister and worked with him for years. It's not always the best thing to surround yourself with friends in these jobs. 

6 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

So much has happened this year ,I really can't remember the time lines but did LJ sack JM or did he go when Lee was fired ?

He left on 7th August. 3 days before Holden was announced. 
He was originally still due to be on the staff, assisting Holden, but Mr Ashton approached both Simpson & Downing, expecting only 1 of them to agree to join. 
When both agreed, he realised he’d ballsed-up and had to sack McCallister to accommodate both England coaches. 

I see Lee has a new boss as well,  Sunderland have now been sold to a 22 year old Russian Kyril Louis-Dreyfus.

No one seems to know much about him, his father owned Ligue 1 Marseille but has now passed away leaving his mother the richest woman in Russia with £5 billion, the kid apparently has £2 billion in a trust fund controlled by his mother. Presumably he had to ask his Mum if he could buy Sunderland ?

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not sure if it's the best move from LJ really. I think it could be better for him to surround himself with different coaches, perhaps some with lots of experience (I don't know who else he's appointed/kept so may have already done this). 

He's friends with McAllister and worked with him for years. It's not always the best thing to surround yourself with friends in these jobs. 

Agreed. Unfortunately the pair of them will get found out at Sunderland eventually just like they were here..

15 minutes ago, bris red said:

Agreed. Unfortunately the pair of them will get found out at Sunderland eventually just like they were here..

I think Johnson would've known it's better to surround himself with coaches that help with his shortcomings. I was under the impression this is what Holden has done with Downing and Simpson. LJ has no doubt read many leadership books, so he should know surrounding himself with mates (who he probably sees himself as superior to) is a rookie error. 

23 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

I see Lee has a new boss as well,  Sunderland have now been sold to a 22 year old Russian Kyril Louis-Dreyfus.

No one seems to know much about him, his father owned Ligue 1 Marseille but has now passed away leaving his mother the richest woman in Russia with £5 billion, the kid apparently has £2 billion in a trust fund controlled by his mother. Presumably he had to ask his Mum if he could buy Sunderland ?

Sounds like a recipe for disaster 

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think Johnson would've known it's better to surround himself with coaches that help with his shortcomings. I was under the impression this is what Holden has done with Downing and Simpson. LJ has no doubt read many leadership books, so he should know surrounding himself with mates (who he probably sees himself as superior to) is a rookie error. 

Sounds like a recipe for disaster 

Maybe he likes to work with people that won't challenge him.Not sure where he will have learned that from though?

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's my suspicion. It's fine having a couple of friendly faces around you, but I think if you're LJ and you want to grow as a manager you might try something different. 

Not a direct dig at LJ,but maybe a manager that hasn't been very successful would benefit from colleagues with some fresh ideas,and maybe some proven experience?

12 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Not a direct dig at LJ,but maybe a manager that hasn't been very successful would benefit from colleagues with some fresh ideas,and maybe some proven experience?

For sure, especially one who's still young as a manager. I think LJ has lots of good things about him, but absolutely isn't beyond some assistance. Perhaps a proven operator who's been there and done it at a decent level then another coach (perhaps from abroad) with some interesting tactical ideas. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

He was originally still due to be on the staff, assisting Holden, but Mr Ashton approached both Simpson & Downing, expecting only 1 of them to agree to join. 
When both agreed, he realised he’d ballsed-up and had to sack McCallister to accommodate both England coaches. 

Both coaches who Holden did not know before he was presented with the "opportunity". 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Explains why Ashton’s face lit up in that announcement interview when he got asked about them!

I'd imagine football management is a very lonely job.  You need to keep players at a distance and you can't bring problems home since there's so little time you have with family you need to keep that for family.

I don't blame him wanting someone he trusts and is a friend in his staff.  

7 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

I'd imagine football management is a very lonely job.  You need to keep players at a distance and you can't bring problems home since there's so little time you have with family you need to keep that for family.

I don't blame him wanting someone he trusts and is a friend in his staff.  

I think that's a good counter argument and from a human nature point of view I can understand it. Just wonder whether it's the best thing to do. 

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think that's a good counter argument and from a human nature point of view I can understand it. Just wonder whether it's the best thing to do. 

Yes, that's fair comment but I'm sure he has other staff that can provide a different point of view.  Or maybe he'll bring in more? 

Archived