IGNORED

The FA Cup Thread

22A

Just now, Malago said:

Yep.  There was another 3-3 under John Ward.  Also remember going to Fratton Park on numerous occasions.  We won 1-0 one Easter Monday.  Adam Locke?  Great day out.

If I remember correctly the Ashton Gate 3-3 was the first game of the season 

24 minutes ago, fanjita said:

If I remember correctly the Ashton Gate 3-3 was the first game of the season 

I've got a vague memory of it getting a bit fruity in Block A of the Dolman. 

Cider'eds and Pompey fans struggling to work out where to sit so kindly assisting each other with an aerial seat exchange. 

35 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Marine turn up in the third round for about the first time ever, Spurs.

Bristol City meanwhile when on earth was the last time we played anyone worthwhile in the FA Cup? 

Jeeeeesssss

Well, we drew Liverpool at home last season, just had the little matter of beating the mighty Shrews......?

15 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

5th round 1967 v Spurs at WHL. Greaves scored two. Crowe missed a pen he should have left to Ford. Our coach was stuck on the North Circular in traffic for ages, arrived just before ht. 

Very irresponsible: no wonder we had chants of 'Dicks Out!' - right up your street, I should have thought ?.

35 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

I've got a vague memory of it getting a bit fruity in Block A of the Dolman. 

Cider'eds and Pompey fans struggling to work out where to sit so kindly assisting each other with an aerial seat exchange. 

Yes, the hilarious sight of City fans charging Pompey in slow motion! They had to get across rows and rows of seats so a roar went up and then they took 10 mins to get there ?. Pompey stood their ground to be fair and it got tasty until they were finally forced down the steps. The stewards wisely stood aside.

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

5th round 1967 v Spurs at WHL. Greaves scored two. Crowe missed a pen he should have left to Ford. Our coach was stuck on the North Circular in traffic for ages, arrived just before ht. 

Nice memory, but time has mislead you regarding the penalty. Tony Ford took the first one and Pat Jennings saved it, but ref said he moved before the ball was kicked, so it he ordered the pen to be retaken. This time Chris Crowe picked up the ball and everyone expected him to blast it past Jennings to equalise ( it was 1-0 Spurs at that moment) but sadly he screwed it just past the right hand post. Jimmy Greaves showed him how to take a penalty though sending Gibbo the wrong way... it finished 2-0. I was gutted, as I am sure you were too!

3 hours ago, archie andrews said:

Remember pompey away 2009 or 10 in cup the temp didnt get above minus 6 all day..... 

I remember going to the replay at AG, Pompey won 0-2, seem to remember Peter Crouch possibly handling in their penalty box, ref not giving a penalty, within seconds he was down the other end getting their 1st goal.  They had a pretty decent team back then, which probably explains why they became skint..  IIRC this was shown live on either Setanta or ESPN (which got replaced by BT  Sport).

Bristol City v Portsmouth, 13 January 2009 - 11v11 match report

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

Except it was under Ford !

Do you know, I wondered about that before I posted. 

I was just a little bit too young to go to this match, although I watched the Alan Gilzean League Cup match, and I was thinking was the FA Cup game AD or Fred Ford?

You are, of course, correct, as AD took over the following season.

Archived