IGNORED

The FA Cup Thread

22A

I haven’t got the confidence of others that Millwall and Sheffield Utd are an easy route to the quarter finals. Matches such as Luton were, on paper, easy matches but it didn’t work out that way. 

16 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I haven’t got the confidence of others that Millwall and Sheffield Utd are an easy route to the quarter finals. Matches such as Luton were, on paper, easy matches but it didn’t work out that way. 

Honestly never saw Luton away on paper as easy. In fact expected nothing.

I don't see us getting by Millwall either way.

Luton away was never a particularly easy game, who thought it would have been likely to be?

In recent weeks they had beaten Norwich, Preston and drawn with Bournemouth.

Millwall however have a ropey home record- I say ropey, more quite meh. Skimread the Championship table when I heard the draw and:

1. P11
  2. Won- 1
  3. Drew- 7
  4. Lost- 3
  5. Scored- 9
  6. Conceded- 12

Don't expect a thriller but clearly the lack of fans has hit them quite hard. They're comfortably better away from home- but then sides with a relatively reactive gameplan and a raucous fanbase, it's not maybe a great surprise.

We also have a rather strong recent record vs Sheffield United- 4 League games they've been under Wilder, we won 3 and lost one- including twice up there.

3 hours ago, Prinny said:

A truly miserable draw with no exciting incentive is what I'd say if we could go.

An excellent chance to progress however.

But do we even want the extra games?

On the plus side our staff know all about them and it could also give game time to one or two players returning from injury or loan. 

Surprised anyone cares about the draw to be honest, even if we got a big team, nobody can go and watch anyway, our best option is getting perceived easier draws so we stay in the cup for longer with a chance that fans might be able to be allowed back in later in the season, although I’m doubtful that will happen again this season

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Well Holden’s team talk should be easy.  Just whether he gets his tactics right.

I guess this is something that was mentioned on the podcast can he learn from his mistakes and adjust his tactics accordingly. The statement from Rowett would have hurt his personal pride. 

40 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Surprised anyone cares about the draw to be honest, even if we got a big team, nobody can go and watch anyway, our best option is getting perceived easier draws so we stay in the cup for longer with a chance that fans might be able to be allowed back in later in the season, although I’m doubtful that will happen again this season

I guess it’s TV revenue , which in the current climate would be welcome 

3 hours ago, daored said:

I guess this is something that was mentioned on the podcast can he learn from his mistakes and adjust his tactics accordingly. The statement from Rowett would have hurt his personal pride. 

I seem to remember vaguely some negative comments coming from Rowett, but can't for the life of me recall what was said.

Would you oblige?

Thanks.

12 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I seem to remember vaguely some negative comments coming from Rowett, but can't for the life of me recall what was said.

Would you oblige?

Thanks.

Basically along the lines of “that was the simplest game plan I’ve ever had to put together”.

18 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Thanks.

No wonder @daored was suggesting Dean Holden's personal pride might have been hurt.

We went for the simplest game plan I have used in ages and I picked a team to implement it. Bristol City have struggled against physical sides and our aim was to get the ball forward early and win the second balls.

"I took a gamble after our defeat at Middlesbrough and highlighted what I saw as a lack of honesty in the performance. That was totally unlike us and the players responded perfectly. 

"When we work as hard as we did, we are a very tough team to beat. Of course, there is massive relief after so long without a win, but they weren't all poor performances."

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Well Holden’s team talk should be easy.  Just whether he gets his tactics right.

5 hours ago, daored said:

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Basically along the lines of “that was the simplest game plan I’ve ever had to put together”.

1 hour ago, daored said:

We went for the simplest game plan I have used in ages and I picked a team to implement it. Bristol City have struggled against physical sides and our aim was to get the ball forward early and win the second balls.

So, perhaps not as inflammatory as was intimated or as I had understood.

It seems to me that, rather than criticising City or, especially, Dean Holden and his tactics, Rowett was just simply recognising that City are not a strong, physical side (no secret to us) and instructing Millwall to go long and make sure they win the second ball.

If Mawson, Kalas and Bakinson are all fit and available, I don't think a win is beyond our capabilities.

2 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

It seems to me that, rather than criticising City or, especially, Dean Holden and his tactics, Rowett was just simply recognising that City are not a strong, physical side (no secret to us) and instructing Millwall to go long and make sure they win the second ball.

If Mawson, Kalas and Bakinson are all fit and available, I don't think a win is beyond our capabilities.

I think it’s the term ‘simplest’, and as you say to be fair to him we’ve often struggled against teams who are direct & physical. An opportunity to address that weakness in this game 

36 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Yeah, not inflammatory, a bit of an easy dig....but I had no issue with him saying it.  I hope Dean now uses that in our favour.

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I have BT Broadband, used to get BT Sport free, then just free on the app....is there still any way to get it free.  Looks like its a £15pm add-on now.

Were the 3rd Round BT games on hesgoal?

Ta

Yeah it started out as a freebie with BT Broadband, then went up to a fiver a month which was still reasonable but then the cost shot up. We stuck with it for a while but found we were never watching it so got rid.

At least I`ll be able to get radio commentary on this one as it`s a cup game.

On 12/01/2021 at 13:06, PHILINFRANCE said:

I’d like to see some of our benchwarmers like Riley Towler a defender who scores goals , given a go. As Millwall won’t have seen him play they won’t know what to expect, and we can see if their ‘simplest game plan’ works this time.

Archived