IGNORED

The FA Cup Thread

22A

2 minutes ago, Slacker said:

And a Premier league club.Wonder who will get the decisions?

I'm not sure I follow that logic... 

As much as I hate VAR, surely it means that the correct decision is  called, more so than just on a referees interpretation..? 

Makes no odds which team benefit from the correct decision. 

40 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

As much as I hate VAR, surely it means that the correct decision is  called, more so than just on a referees interpretation..? 

I find that what seems to happen is that

If a player from a big club (say Man Utd ) goes down in the area

VAR seems to see the slightest touch and give it asap

If its the smaller clubs player thats gone down

VAR look at about 20,000 angles to find one that may give a a slight doubt even though the first 19999 show contact

They then show ref the 20,000th angle and he books the player for diving!!!!

14 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

Not sure that our game will have VAR. I read somewhere (sorry that is not helpful) that only two 5th round ties will have VAR and ours wasn't one of them. Man U v Liverpool today did not have it.

It did according to the Referees' Association: https://www.the-ra.org/appointments/emirates-fa-cup-fourth-round-match-official-appointments

1 hour ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I thinks it’s wrong, in a competition the rules and technology should be the same for every game.

Example of this, albeit different competition was Carabao Cup.

I seem to recall Toney disallowed equaliser at Tottenham- think was only at PL grounds, in the semi finals or something. Correct decision yes and if that's the bottom line then all good, but the integrity and equality for all sides in a competition- big question mark.

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Example of this, albeit different competition was Carabao Cup.

I seem to recall Toney disallowed equaliser at Tottenham- think was only at PL grounds, in the semi finals or something. Correct decision yes and if that's the bottom line then all good, but the integrity and equality for all sides in a competition- big question mark.

Our semi final with Man City was a perfect example, no VAR in our legs because it couldn't be used at AG, however Arsenal/Chelsea had it for both legs. Imagine if before Man City's last goal in 2nd leg we were chasing 1 to be level and we had something that VAR could have given in 90th minute but didn't have it where the other tie did.

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

Our semi final with Man City was a perfect example, no VAR in our legs because it couldn't be used at AG, however Arsenal/Chelsea had it for both legs. Imagine if before Man City's last goal in 2nd leg we were chasing 1 to be level and we had something that VAR could have given in 90th minute but didn't have it where the other tie did.

Had forgotten VAR was in play then- thought it came in later but that is a perfect example.

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

And of course VAR never gets it wrong.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It’s quite possible that the team used to playing under the VAR method have an advantage.

But that could also be complete bollox too. ?

You haven’t got a chart to show that? :D

8 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

To be honest, I watch virtually no premiership football...

Does it get it wrong, or does it just make calls that shouldnt/wouldn't have been made by a referee..? 

I don't watch a great deal of it either,but VAR is certainly not flawless.Someone has to review it,which makes it prone to human error.I understand that,and genuine mistakes will always be made.I do believe however,that as with referees making decisions on the pitch,any tight calls tend to be given in favour of the bigger club.I would love to see VAR scrapped with immediate effect to be honest and absolutely dread the day it comes to the Championship.

1 hour ago, Slacker said:

I don't watch a great deal of it either,but VAR is certainly not flawless.Someone has to review it,which makes it prone to human error.I understand that,and genuine mistakes will always be made.I do believe however,that as with referees making decisions on the pitch,any tight calls tend to be given in favour of the bigger club.I would love to see VAR scrapped with immediate effect to be honest and absolutely dread the day it comes to the Championship.

Completely agree. 

I'd far rather see officials increased (2 refs, maybe) and accept that there may be error sometimes, than the farce of VAR, which will only ever work if its scaled back to cover "clear and obvious" and not borderline or dubious. 

18 hours ago, Northern Red said:

That's alright, I've always preferred Wednesday to them.

Absolutely in my experience sheff wed fans been the more down to earth. Sheff Utd fans seem to have this arrogance about them. Basing this purely on the fact I worked with guys supporting both clubs and reading their forums.

Seem to remember them playing Coventry on TV when the whole SISU issue was at its peak. Their fans were taunting them about it the whole game and were giving it the biggun to the stewards.

Archived