IGNORED

The Lee Johnson Thread (Merged)

Never to the dark side

39 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Lee Johnson in at 1/7 to be appointed their next manager. 

Now we know with Hughton/Gerrard odds don't necessarily mean that someones getting it, but had a quick scan on their forum and a couple who seem to be ITK have pretty much said it's him. 

Their fans are absolutely fuming! Honestly take a look at their forum ? 

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/takeover-news-rumours-part-42.1534934/page-110

Bloody hell, who do they think they'd get to take them over? Johnson achieved a few top half finishes with us, it'd be like us missing out on play offs a few more times, sacking off Holden and having a premier league manager who'd finished mid table a few times take us over and us pissing and moaning about it. Suppose they still consider themselves a premier league club who're just out of position at the moment and haven't adjusted to reality.

The interesting part for me is working under a sporting director, as long as he has decent input into who/or the type of player he wants to bring him allow Johnson to just get on with the squad side of the club could be good for him. If he does go there hope he does well.

2 minutes ago, ROKERITE said:

Oh I'm sure we'll just sit and clap happily when he takes us on an eight match losing run. This is THE nightmare appointment. Of all the names mentioned none were as unpopular as "Little Lee".  I know what mediocrity he achieved at Oldham, Barnsley and Ashton Gate.  Our owners must really despise we supporters.

GTFO, his time here may not have been what fans wanted (promotion) but turning us from a club fighting relegation to a comfortable enough top half club is far from mediocre, a 'success' debatable to probably not, a mediocre stint? No.

3 minutes ago, ROKERITE said:

Oh I'm sure we'll just sit and clap happily when he takes us on an eight match losing run. This is THE nightmare appointment. Of all the names mentioned none were as unpopular as "Little Lee".  I know what mediocrity he achieved at Oldham, Barnsley and Ashton Gate.  Our owners must really despise we supporters.

.,....and when he tells them he'll need 3 windows to rebuild the team ??

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

Bloody hell, who do they think they'd get to take them over? Johnson achieved a few top half finishes with us, it'd be like us missing out on play offs a few more times, sacking off Holden and having a premier league manager who'd finished mid table a few times take us over and us pissing and moaning about it. Suppose they still consider themselves a premier league club who're just out of position at the moment and haven't adjusted to reality.

The interesting part for me is working under a sporting director, as long as he has decent input into who/or the type of player he wants to bring him allow Johnson to just get on with the squad side of the club could be good for him. If he does go there hope he does well.

They've got one of our fans on there called 'Bristol City' and he's rubbished Johnson a few times. 

I never thought Johnson would take us up and I would've got rid of him a lot sooner, but reality is he improved us year on year (until last season) whilst losing his best player pretty much every season.

He's at a much bigger side if he does get the job, and if he can get it right they could do back to backs. 

40 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Lee Johnson in at 1/7 to be appointed their next manager. 

Now we know with Hughton/Gerrard odds don't necessarily mean that someones getting it, but had a quick scan on their forum and a couple who seem to be ITK have pretty much said it's him. 

Their fans are absolutely fuming! Honestly take a look at their forum ? 

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/takeover-news-rumours-part-42.1534934/page-110

Some of the comments ???

I actually think it’s a good appointment for most Sunderland, oops I mean City fans.

Plenty on here say he’s only good enough for Lg1.

Plenty on here said he’ll go to a bigger club than us. (You know what I mean)

For me, Johnson gets a big club, and he gets the chance to earn his first play-off / promotion.  I don’t care about whether Sunderland was a basket case, it’s down to him now and we will see where it gets him.  I think it’s a no excuses appointment.  One point off playoffs in 7th place with a game in hand, anything but playoffs is below par.  5 points off automatics.

Will be watching with interest.  He has inherited a squad with a lot of ability.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Some of the comments ???

I actually think it’s a good appointment for most Sunderland, oops I mean City fans.

For me, Johnson gets a big club, and he gets the chance to earn his first play-off / promotion.  I don’t care about whether Sunderland was a basket case, it’s down to him now and we will see where it gets him.  I think it’s a no excuses appointment.  One point off playoffs in 7th place with a game in hand, anything but playoffs is below par.  5 points off automatics.

Will be watching with interest.  He has inherited a squad with a lot of ability.

If he does get it, Shrewsbury play them in 2 weeks time!

16 minutes ago, ROKERITE said:

Well obviously not. But Sunderland should be walking to the League One title according to your fans (and to be fair, you really probably should be) so unless he comes in and cruises to the top there will be a large element of your fanbase who will want him sacked right away. 

Also, didn’t loads of people say Johnson should work under a DoF as he’s a good coach but needs guidance? Sounds like that’s what he’d have at Sunderland. I think he’d probably take them up.

3 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

They've got one of our fans on there called 'Bristol City' and he's rubbished Johnson a few times. 

I never thought Johnson would take us up and I would've got rid of him a lot sooner, but reality is he improved us year on year (until last season) whilst losing his best player pretty much every season.

He's at a much bigger side if he does get the job, and if he can get it right they could do back to backs. 

Yeah there's no doubting there were bad times under him but equally some very good ones and left the club in a far better position then he took it over.

4 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Can't see the hardcore support from Sunderland fans really taking well to the rubbish he comes out with. Our fanbase is tame compared to the fanatics from the North East

If h gets them good results, I reckon they will forgive him for that. The test will be if (when?) he goes on a losing run and how the club react.

3 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

If h gets them good results, I reckon they will forgive him for that. The test will be if (when?) he goes on a losing run and how the club react.

Yes and I think so far Deano has been able to alter these little losing runs LJ used to go on. If he does the same with Sunderland, I can't see them standing for it

19 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

GTFO, his time here may not have been what fans wanted (promotion) but turning us from a club fighting relegation to a comfortable enough top half club is far from mediocre, a 'success' debatable to probably not, a mediocre stint? No.

It is also arguably exactly what Sunderland would want. Someone who can come in, get them out of L1 (which IMO would be LJ's biggest challenge) then cement them in the top 6 or 8 of the Champ - which LJ has already done with one team, us.

It would make Sunderland 'til I Die the spiritual third season of The Office (assuming the new owners continue to allow Netflix through the doors)

3 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Lets hope bailey wright, hasnt bought a house up there.

And i thought my luck was bad!

Don't think it'll be an issue, Bailey should be fine at league 1, just wasn't the standard needed for a play off push at championship level. If anything better for him as Johnson would probably look to him to be a leader within the squad again.

@Riaz £10 to winners charity says LJ won’t make the playoffs with AFCS. 

By the way, @Davefevs were currently still neck and neck with who’ll have the better season for City: Morrell or Walsh! Interesting battle that one!

12 minutes ago, petehinton said:

No chairman, owners want out, fans expect to be champions, what could possibly go wrong. Hell of a career risk. 

You missed out the important point: no sugar daddy pandering to his every whim. 

31 minutes ago, TomF said:

Linked Inn Buzzword Bingcards at the ready

OK eyes down, look in.............one line wins a pasty, a full house wins a pint of  cider

Play LJ Bullshit Bingo

PEP

3 WINDOWS

RED  ARROWS

DRONE

MEASURE GRASS

BOX ENTRY

JOSE WINE

RB LEIPZIG

SAS

POMO

PATHWAY

NHS

CULTURE

WORLD CLASS BASICS

3'A's

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Some of the comments ???

Not sure about that, they have consistently struggled to score goals since getting relegated (Will Grigg has been a disastrous signing) & a lot of really mediocre sides like Burton & the blue few have taken points of them, hardly an indication of a squad with a lot of ability...

That having been said, he was never going to get offered a bigger job than this, I personally think they are a bit of a mess both on the field & off it, but they are a huge club (definitely top 20 in England) if someone gets them going.

12 minutes ago, !james said:

Oh come on he did a far better job of that than any manager I’ve seen at Ashton Gate going back to Tinnion. 

Archived