IGNORED

The Lee Johnson Thread (Merged)

Never to the dark side

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s how I see it.  He ought to be able to go there (based on his own view of his capabilities) and take them straight up.  People will be expecting him to get them up.  The minimum they’ll expect is play-offs.

Its a bit like Mark Ashton with Holden’s appointment.  His recruitment skills questioned if he gets it wrong, when they contacted 10 others.

As I said I expect LJ to get them to the playoffs, he “only” needs to improve them one place.  Starts with a home game v Wigan (bottom of the league).  Do they have any crowd allowed today?

Yep this will be a good test of his proclamations of how good a coach he is. Going to be very interesting to see how he performs and fair play if he does get them up but he’s not going to get the myriad of chances he had down here that’s for sure. Big gamble for him. Fail there and he won’t get another job at a decent sized club again I don’t think. If he does well then he’ll get some very decent opportunities in the future.  

30 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Good luck to him. Hope it all goes well.

Agreed.

He has no track record or history there and they aren’t shy about booting gaffers who don’t get results, so he’ll rise and fall on how good he actually is.

Don’t get those still aiming shots at him; like others have said, did his best, wasn’t good enough so he went.

Sunderland will want to go up ASAP so will either be the making or breaking of him.

52 minutes ago, Harry said:

Only thing I’d pick up on is the away form. We weren’t just good in patches under LJ. We were probably one of the most successful away teams in the country during his tenure.

If so, then with no play off finishes it just reinforces how poor we must have been at home.

24 minutes ago, Crackers Corner said:

Good luck to him, if he can stop over thinking the opposition and playing players out of position then he could do a good job for them.

Reading that the newly appointed Director of Football Kristjaan Speakman would ‘take primary responsibility for reviewing and implementing new strategies to develop the club’s footballing infrastructure, with an emphasis on data analytics and innovation’ it would appear to be a tailor made job for him. 

7 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

If so, then with no play off finishes it just reinforces how poor we must have been at home.

Yep. We were. That’s what I always said. If he’d satisfied the home fans as much as he had done our away fans, he’d probably be seen in a much different light by many. 
The home form was his ultimate downfall in terms of the ‘hearts & minds’ as it were. 

Maybe the time away from managing, doing media work etc might have done him some good, hopefully he will have taken stock on what he achieved with us and how he could be better in the future.  For a start, I don't think the Mackems will take too kindly to the waffle (aka 'Johnsonisms') that he used to come out with.  He'll need to cut that out. He'll also need to take stock of the squad quickly to understand where they are deficient and establish a playing pattern and formation quickly.  Endless rotations of players won't work in L1.  He will need a work ethic and a structure from his team selections that at times was missing with us. Above all, he'll need a 'back to basics' approach. Players in the right positions, no throwing players under the bus, trust in his own ability away from the SL bubble, and who knows? Will he get them up this season?  I can't see it.  Play offs?  Maybe, this will be a minimum requirement you would think.  Then the pressure will build, as past history suggests that patience isn't in abundance in the North East.

Anyone know if there are any more documentaries planned with Netflix?  As the chance to appear on those will massive inflate his ego.  As for 5Live calling his appointment a 'coup', good to see the bar has been set at a relatively low level....

SC vs LJ later this month will be interesting.......

2 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Don’t think the manager can be to blame for that one, sometimes it just isn’t your day! He must be gutted

No blame insinuated in most post.  Fordy and me have a bet on.  I said LJ will get them top 6, he said they wouldn’t.

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'm amazed he couldn't work his magic in the four hours he's been manager....

I did think that Robbo but then why take charge at all?  Possibly if one was being mischievous you might say that they were playing the bottom club in the Division and as such he felt a mark in his win column was a given? 

19 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'm amazed he couldn't work his magic in the four hours he's been manager....

Spot on.

I think he was mad to say he was in charge today because realistically he couldn’t have much influence beyond picking players he hasn’t seen, but I think the opponents & his ego persuaded him to.

Whatever he does up there today isn’t really down to him.

18 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Spot on.

I think he was mad to say he was in charge today because realistically he couldn’t have much influence beyond picking players he hasn’t seen, but I think the opponents & his ego persuaded him to.

Whatever he does up there today isn’t really down to him.

I wonder if he took charge of today because it was against Wigan. Like him or loath him, it’s the sort of decision he’d make. 

Archived