IGNORED

The Lee Johnson Thread (Merged)

Never to the dark side

6 minutes ago, The dastardly red said:

Some cracking jargon from Lee post match. I like Dean but do find his interviews can be a little dry. Lee seems to put a lot of effort into preparing buzz phrases which can be quite inspiring for the players and galvanising for the club as a whole.

I've not heard him use "protocol" in this context before, I quite like it as a buzz word, he used it several times this week so I imagine it'll crop up fairly regularly for a while. Not many "if you likes" though but I'm expecting those to increase once he's settled in up there.

I've got an innate repulsion towards buzzwords in any context. 

On 13/12/2020 at 14:12, NickJ said:

He's managed to get a reference to Kenny Dalglish in an interview apparently saying that Sunderland would build a statue of Lee if he got them promotion - do I believe KD actually said that, no - and Lee even managed to elaborate on that by suggesting it would be like Arsene Wenger's statue at Arsenal, or something like that.

It's cringingly compelling, or compellingly cringy.

They can have this one.

23553F5B-F74B-4500-8D1C-7086BAF6A627.jpeg

On 13/12/2020 at 12:34, deadredfred said:

POMO.”Sorry, if I’m getting a bit technical for you”

And therein lies the perfect summary of LJ’s ‘I am smarter than thou’ approach. Baffle me with words, acronyms and inject whatever you want, but it’s absolute self-indulgent drivel, and he believes every word he says. 

Be interesting to see the Sunderland fans forum when the steak starts

I wonder if he believed it when he said he something along the lines of, we’ll be playing European football within five years? I think some fans did!

• The title was changed to The Lee Johnson Thread (Merged)
22 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

That's players (with medals). Name some 5'5' or 5'6' managers

I think the point is, I find it to be the argument of an imbecile, when they use height to judge a manager. 
There’s plenty of metrics by which we can judge LJ, some positive, some negative. Height isn’t one of them. 

Anyway, Brendan Rodgers is 5’7. Close ?

On 13/12/2020 at 12:34, deadredfred said:

POMO.”Sorry, if I’m getting a bit technical for you”

And therein lies the perfect summary of LJ’s ‘I am smarter than thou’ approach. Baffle me with words, acronyms and inject whatever you want, but it’s absolute self-indulgent drivel, and he believes every word he says. 

Be interesting to see the Sunderland fans forum when the steak starts

Well done, it's rare to see such a good post on here. Let's hope its not a flash in the pan.

30 minutes ago, Harry said:

I think the point is, I find it to be the argument of an imbecile, when they use height to judge a manager. 
There’s plenty of metrics by which we can judge LJ, some positive, some negative. Height isn’t one of them. 

Anyway, Brendan Rodgers is 5’7. Close ?

It’s not what we think, it's what players think. The players Johnson has to convince. This is the point.

What are small men in wider and popular culture - are they taken seriously, or are they made fun of? Are they respected, or the subject of comedy?

Take a look at the top class coaches and managers - none of them are little fellows. Why would that be - coincidence?

31 minutes ago, Banned User said:

http://safc.com/news/club-news/2020/december/club-statement-covid-19

Sunderland AFC will be without eight first-team players when they host AFC Wimbledon on Tuesday evening following an outbreak of Covid-19 at the Academy of Light.

Spent so much time embedding the new protocols forgot the COVID protocols! ?

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Spent so much time embedding the new protocols forgot the COVID protocols! ?

Another gem in his pre match 

"I can't guarantee a scoreline, but what I should be able to guarantee is a consistency of philosophy."

Blimey....all I wanted is 3 pts tonight but now even if we win - if I don't see a consistency of philosophy I'm gonna be gutted.....

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Great point tonight considering the circumstances.  EFL should have allowed postponement with all their COVID cases.

Was their situation any different to Rovers? 
Certainly many at Sunderland feel a tad peeved! 
The EFL making a bad call here. Isn’t a certain Mr Ashton on the EFL board, which makes these decisions????!!!! 

Archived