Jump to content
IGNORED

The Lee Johnson Thread (Merged)


Never to the dark side
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, ReggyRed said:

What an embarrassing post, obsessed.

 

I thought it was an excellent post when I read it on our message-board. I knew we'd appointed a prize pudding and Fordy62, along with Ziderhead1982 merely confirmed it with plenty of detail. I've supported Sunderland since 1962 and this is as bad a choice for new manager/first team coach as I have known. For once there were actually some decent managers available, in particular the Cowley brothers; and we've chosen little serial failure Lee Johnson. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ROKERITE said:

 

I thought it was an excellent post when I read it on our message-board. I knew we'd appointed a prize pudding and Fordy62, along with Ziderhead1982 merely confirmed it with plenty of detail. I've supported Sunderland since 1962 and this is as bad a choice for new manager/first team coach as I have known. For once there were actually some decent managers available, in particular the Cowley brothers; and we've chosen little serial failure Lee Johnson. 

Lee is OK but doesn't cope with pressure very well treat him gently he will get you up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If it hadn’t been for SL’s obsession that LJ will eventually get it right, he would have been sacked 18 months before he eventually was.

For me the football he served up for 75% of his time at City, was absolutely awful.

He has had three football league jobs, and has done nothing whatsoever, except presiding over record runs of defeats.

The only credit I can give him is for the League cup run, but because of injuries etc, the team basically picked itself. Once players were fit again, he got the tombola out, and we all know the rest! 

 

  • Like 12
  • Hmmm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mackem33 said:

Cheers for the feedback lads & lasses! 
here’s hoping it’s a good fit for him and he finally gets us out of this awful league! 
 

again, best of luck for the remainder of the season and I apologise on our behalf if we ruined any development in Semenyo....blame dinosaur Parky for that! 

 If he has learned lessons from the mistakes he repeated time and time again at City then you will have a good Manager. If he hasn't then my commiserations. Loads of players signed often never given them a chance to play, quantity not quality, team changes week in week out and spouts so much bullsh1t. Look out for the bad runs as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I've seen to it! @Riaz I think you may enjoy this...

 

Hi Sunderland fans,

,.....,
 

Good luck lads and lasses. I fear you'll need it. Because at Sunderland he'll be without his biggest strength - Steve Lansdown.

 

Fordy

 

 

Can't disagree with anything Fordy said tbh 

He was a bullshitting fraud who benefited from SL's irrational desire to 'make it up' to GJ for having to sack him.  The 'godfather' reference was very apt, and it will be interesting to see how he goes in a job where for the first time in his life he succeeds or fails on his own merit without the safety net of father or "godfather".  Football is a simple game - and history has shown that the top successful managers like Jock Stein, Alex Ferguson, Bill Shankly , Brian Clough, and latterly Pochetino, Klopp etc would never have indulged themselves in such immature and narcissistic bullshit by bigging themselves up by trying to sound clever with talk of grass measuring, drones, red arrows, NHS, etc .  

4 wasted years

 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, ROKERITE said:

 

I thought it was an excellent post when I read it on our message-board. I knew we'd appointed a prize pudding and Fordy62, along with Ziderhead1982 merely confirmed it with plenty of detail. I've supported Sunderland since 1962 and this is as bad a choice for new manager/first team coach as I have known. For once there were actually some decent managers available, in particular the Cowley brothers; and we've chosen little serial failure Lee Johnson. 

Commenting on something/someone you know nothing about. Cowley brothers over LJ, you must be on the wind up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mackem33 said:

Cheers for the feedback lads & lasses! 
here’s hoping it’s a good fit for him and he finally gets us out of this awful league! 
 

again, best of luck for the remainder of the season and I apologise on our behalf if we ruined any development in Semenyo....blame dinosaur Parky for that! 

Good luck to you Mackem

Cant be too long before you get out of L1

 

Whether Johnson can do it ....well...time will tell (I’m amazed any half competent manager can’t get you back up)

But at least if he doesnt

And

there’s a medical emergency in the dressing room

You need a guide to preparing a 5 course menu
 

or

Your players are captured in a war zone

 

You can rest easy that you have the right man in place 

 

* Ohhhhh ....and he has Pep on speed dial , or should I say actually Pep has Lee on speed dial

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ReggyRed said:

Commenting on something/someone you know nothing about. Cowley brothers over LJ, you must be on the wind up.

All about opinions, but the Cowleys are well thought of in this country.  They’ve had success too, that builds respect.  That is something Lee needs to get under his belt ASAP.

Im not saying they are better than LJ, but I think you’d be surprised how many people look at LJ’s lack of success or a play-off place in his 7/8 years of management as a big black mark.

This is his chance to prove it.  Good luck to him.  If he can’t get Sunderland into the playoffs this season, there will be a lot of questions asked.  Personally I think he will finish top 6.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Flint would be a sensible acquisition , but not sure Flint would be keen to renew the link.

Whilst currently on loan at Sheff Wed (& injured) Flint is under contract at Cardiff, who pay telephone numbers, so no way could Sunderland afford to pay those sort of wages.

The Sunderland squad these days is made up of players from Wycombe & Coventry, they don’t have those sort of funds these days.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

All about opinions, but the Cowleys are well thought of in this country.  They’ve had success too, that builds respect.  That is something Lee needs to get under his belt ASAP.

Im not saying they are better than LJ, but I think you’d be surprised how many people look at LJ’s lack of success or a play-off place in his 7/8 years of management as a big black mark.

This is his chance to prove it.  Good luck to him.  If he can’t get Sunderland into the playoffs this season, there will be a lot of questions asked.  Personally I think he will finish top 6.

Double or quits Dave?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ReggyRed said:

Commenting on something/someone you know nothing about. Cowley brothers over LJ, you must be on the wind up.

That would be the Cowley brothers with FIVE promotions on their CV,  as opposed to LJ - no promotions, no top 6 finishes, and no achievements as a manager. 3 bottom half finishes with L2,L1, teams and 2 Championship finishes of 18th, 17th, followed by a mid table 11th, and the dizzy height of 8th as his swansong.

5 - 0. Every post ReggyRed makes himself look even more ridiculous with his defence of LJ's record.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Double or quits Dave?

Shall we move the bet to this topic then....although I could claim Morrell is ahead this season by virtue of playing for Wales whilst still a City player!

What we saying:

Morrell v Walsh null and void?

LJ top 6 (Fevs) - LJ 7th or worse (Fordy)?  Yeah?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Shall we move the bet to this topic then....although I could claim Morrell is ahead this season by virtue of playing for Wales whilst still a City player!

What we saying:

Morrell v Walsh null and void?

LJ top 6 (Fevs) - LJ 7th or worse (Fordy)?  Yeah?

 

I could let you off the first I suppose although the wording was “who has the better season for Bristol City”!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

That would be the Cowley brothers with FIVE promotions on their CV,  as opposed to LJ - no promotions, no top 6 finishes, and no achievements as a manager. 3 bottom half finishes with L2,L1, teams and 2 Championship finishes of 18th, 17th, followed by a mid table 11th, and the dizzy height of 8th as his swansong.

5 - 0. Every post ReggyRed makes himself look even more ridiculous with his defence of LJ's record.

Christ, non league and league two promotions. Went well for them when they managed in the championship didn’t it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, ReggyRed said:

 

 

1 minute ago, ReggyRed said:

 

 

1 minute ago, ReggyRed said:

Christ, non league and league two promotions. Went well for them when they managed in the championship didn’t it

Yes it did. Arrived at Huddersfield when they were rock bottom with one point from seven. Their remit was to keep them up and they kept them up. Oh, and I'm pretty sure if they'd had the next four seasons in charge they wouldn't have failed to even finish in the play-offs like "Little Lee".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ROKERITE said:

 

I thought it was an excellent post when I read it on our message-board. I knew we'd appointed a prize pudding and Fordy62, along with Ziderhead1982 merely confirmed it with plenty of detail. I've supported Sunderland since 1962 and this is as bad a choice for new manager/first team coach as I have known. For once there were actually some decent managers available, in particular the Cowley brothers; and we've chosen little serial failure Lee Johnson. 

I can't imagine a club, having a decent short list of manager candidates then choosing the outsider that virtually no fans wanted! :whistle:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Mackem33 said:

Afternoon! Sunderland fan here! 
 

interested to read the comments on this thread. As it looks like we’re about to appoint Lee Johnson, I wondered what the overall thoughts are on here in relation to him? Good appointment for us? What’s his football like? & Does he have the ability to bring together an extremely unhappy, frustrated and disheartened fan base. 
 

To explain the underwhelming reaction from the majority of our fans, we’re on the verge of announcing a takeover with a multi-billionaire, talk of Poyet coming back got a lot of us excited again, the past few years have been nothing short of painful for us Sunderland fans, so the idea of a manager coming back in who is still loved from his previous tenure, was a nice escape for a bit. 
 

We’re desperate for a bit of success, by that I mean, just a club we can love again, Donald and Co have destroyed us, selling of assets, lying about fans and making full blown stories up about us! 
 

Hopefully it’s a time to start looking forward again. 
 

Good luck for the rest of your season, would be great to see you lot go up and give the PL a really good shot! 

Ps. Bailey Wright looks a level above at this level, very impressive defender!

Cheers!

There's been a hell of a lot of rewriting of history when it comes to Lee Johnson on here.

The last season we played some pretty uninspiring stuff and he ultimately lost his job for failing in the target of getting us into the playoffs.

However at times we played some fantastic stuff too, 2017-18 being a particular highlight, and when he joined the club we were in a relegation fight having just been promoted. 

Ultimately his overall time at City was one of progression until his final season.

He's a decent manager, not outstanding by any means, but don't let the eternally negative ones on here convince you he's a fraud or any of the other labels that would be thrown at him on a weekly basis.

A decent manager who has flaws, a tendancy to overthink being one of them. 

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ReggyRed said:

Christ, non league and league two promotions. Went well for them when they managed in the championship didn’t it

They've had moderate success - but got sacked in the championship.

Similar in some way to LJ who also got sacked in the championship.............   but minus the success and promotions. Sneer at the level but the Cowley brothers have demonstrated that they can coach teams to promotion. LJ has demonstrated that in 9 years of management he simply doesn't have that ability despite being given the time and the money to achieve it (at BCFC).  The Cowley's have never had money thrown at them like LJ.   ........or the time (at Huddersfield)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Just truthful. 

Going to stick it out there and say blaming LJ for Bryan and Flint for being at City for more than two and a half years before he sold them is not the most objective paragraph I’ve ever read, and I say this as someone who don’t think he’s a great appointment for Sunderland.

IMO Johnson did a middling job with a mid-table wage budget and a squad where his best players were picked off year-on-year, without the Brentford-esque recruitment to continue bouncing back.
 

He wasn’t especially likeable because of his turn of phrases and meaningless sayings which didn’t help when he already had the stigma of already playing under his dad.

LJ may well get Sunderland promoted but he may well not. He managed to put together all the ingredients of a play-off side at City a couple of times, but could never keep them performing consistently to do it over 46 games. Until he does that anywhere there’ll be a question mark over his head.

Edited by RonWalker
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, CodeRed said:

They've had moderate success - but got sacked in the championship.

Similar in some way to LJ who also got sacked in the championship.............   but minus the success and promotions. Sneer at the level but the Cowley brothers have demonstrated that they can coach teams to promotion. LJ has demonstrated that in 9 years of management he simply doesn't have that ability despite being given the time and the money to achieve it (at BCFC).  The Cowley's have never had money thrown at them like LJ.   ........or the time (at Huddersfield)

You're obscenely OTT with the criticism of Johnson.

At Oldham he kept a side in dire financial difficulties up, and one of the seasons there had them fairly competitive. 

After he left they were relegated.

At Barnsley he had them in the playoff hunt and got them to the JPT final before leaving to join us.

 

Does that change that he hasn't been promoted? No.

Does it add some context to the rest? Yes.

With the context any reasonable person would come to the conclusion that he did a solid or decent job at Oldham, with what happened to them after backing it up.

Barnsley were probably expected to be fairly strong in League 1, so a playoff fight (where he left them) was about right, alongside reaching the JPT final (his last game was the semi final I believe) has to be seen as, at worst, average.

Is he a spectacular manager? Absolutely not, but "bullshitting fraud"? **** off.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, RonWalker said:

Going to stick it out there and say blaming LJ for Bryan and Flint for being at City for more than two and a half years before he sold them is not the most objective paragraph I’ve ever read, and I say this as someone who don’t think he’s a great appointment for Sunderland.

I didn't read all of it because.... yikes that's a lot for a Friday night, but I'd point out the exclusion of Lloyd Kelly's sale unless mentioned elsewhere

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The title was changed to The Lee Johnson Thread (Merged)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...