IGNORED

Career Satisfaction .....

Sheltons Army

Just been watching Shearer chatting through his career with Gary Neville and it got me thinking

Stood On the terraces at Newcastle as a boy - truly his Club

Turns down Man United to become the most expensive player in World at the time

10 years of smashing in goals for the Club he supported as a boy

To Become Newcastle’s Record Scorer

And to end up with his statue outside ‘St James Park’

Add to which an excellent England Career

Undoubtedly sacrificed medals for the above 

If you were a pro , would you rather be , say a Teddy Sherringham who won more medals , Premier League , FA Cup and Champions League , or a Shearer 

No contest for me , am I alone ?

Dont we all grow up dreaming at some point of being a Shearer ?

I think it's not quite the right comparison for us though, as fans of Bristol City.

Shearer, at least at the time he moved there, would have thought he had a very good shot at winning trophies with Newcastle, as well as playing for the club he grew up supporting. He may not have won anything at Newcastle as a club, be they gave him a good platform to achieve lots of other things (personal accolades, and medals). Bear in mind also that he had already won the premier league with Blackburn, so one ambition of his was ticked off. I also imagine that at the time, the salary difference between Newcastle and Manchester United was nothing like it is now.

Now - if we were to choose between a career, lets say, at a Champions League club, or Bristol City - the different would be huge, both financially and the platform which we would have to succeed as a player.

I think it would be almost impossible to remain here, if you truly were good enough to play at the very top level. Unless you somehow managed to drag the club along with you.

Just now, Coxy27 said:

I think it's not quite the right comparison for us though, as fans of Bristol City.

Shearer, at least at the time he moved there, would have thought he had a very good shot at winning trophies with Newcastle, as well as playing for the club he grew up supporting. He may not have won anything at Newcastle as a club, be they gave him a good platform to achieve lots of other things (personal accolades, and medals). Bear in mind also that he had already won the premier league with Blackburn, so one ambition of his was ticked off. I also imagine that at the time, the salary difference between Newcastle and Manchester United was nothing like it is now.

Now - if we were to choose between a career, lets say, at a Champions League club, or Bristol City - the different would be huge, both financially and the platform which we would have to succeed as a player.

I think it would be almost impossible to remain here, if you truly were good enough to play at the very top level. Unless you somehow managed to drag the club along with you.

I think the comparison for City would be would you rather be at City banging in goals and turn down a move to a club who could get promoted or would you rather move for that better chance of going up to say a relegated prem club or say Brentford atm (discounting the fact we're in the play offs)

Even in the relatively short time since Shearer went to Newcastle things have changed dramatically. In those days his salary at Newcastle would have been similar to what he could have earned at Manchester United. Now, a team like Newcastle couldn’t afford the transfer fee and couldn’t offer a salary similar to that offered by a top 4 club. Going back even further John Atyeo was happy to stay at City but, if he was alive today, would he turn down a move to Liverpool, Chelsea etc and increase his salary by a factor of 5? 

51 minutes ago, pl00peh91 said:

Same goes for Gerrard, in the end he turned down a move to Chelsea (which almost certainly would have won him the title) in order to stay at his boyhood club, he’s going to be a Liverpool legend forever now so I suspect he considers that it was worth the sacrifice. 

Good comparison 

Gerrard also won them and lifted the Champions League for them

Some interesting views  - with Substantial wealth available widely I like to think money wouldn’t be a major driving factor for me , but we are all different

And @Lrrr, and although Inwas thinking of Shearers situation , good question 

I would stay at City with the hope I could help get us up , no question 

How much are those achievements and pride worth to Shearer

It's an interesting question but I'm not sure it is clear cut. You've also got players like Aguero, Lampard and Kompany who spent most of their careers at one club which, whilst it was not their childhood club, was one where they had a long careers, won trophies and were part of a team that made history. I'd imagine they feel similar career satisfaction to Shearer but with the medals to boot.

I'm sure players who spent a long period at one club and bonded with their supporters feel a greater sense of satisfaction than those who drifted around clubs and never really settled but I'm not convinced that one club has to be the one you supported as a child.

I also think Sheringham probably wasn't too unhappy with his lot. He seemed to build a rapport with Spurs fans in particular and I'd imagine he has few regrets. 

I think the bigger issue really is players who spend their careers moving from club to club, falling out with people and not really seeming to enjoy their careers. But I can't imagine Sheringham is in that category. 

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I suppose I always think of Le Tissier who played most of his career at Southampton. Could he have broadened his wings and gone on to something different/better and played more for England? Who knows…

I think Le Tiss was very much in his comfort zone at Saints. He enjoyed being the biggest fish at the club and having the side built around him. I suspect he enjoyed his career much more than if he`d moved to Spurs or somewhere like that.

Archived