IGNORED

My team versus QPR

Curr Avon

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

His hands have been tied in some respects with injuries and Covid.

I'm not convinced he's done the best job possible with rotation, time will tell. Very difficult job trying to cope with injuries, keep players fresh, keep us in contention .

As for the team, Holden said it will more or less be the same, and reading between the lines I think the only player coming back will be Kalas. The it's a toss up at LB, could give JD a rest or give Rowe a break, might depend on the shape we set up with. 3-5-2 I'd go with JD, 4-3-3 Rowe. I would guess Wells will start, could do with that instinct in the box. Semenyo could be due a rest and 3-5-2 would give him that chance. Wells, Martin, Semenyo or Wells, Martin. Personally I would be tempted to rest Pato or COD, the option being HNM, he looked very rusty though. Not sure there is any other way of getting him up to speed without playing him as we can't play friendlies. 

If I had to guess, I think we will probably start with the safe 3-5-2 that we have employed , so.

Bentley

Vyner.    Kalas.    Moore

Hunt.  HNM/Pato  Nagy. COD.    DaSilva

Martin  Wells

Just now, Sturny said:

I agree everyone should be but yet we have still done it in the past. Like I said I must be too used to LJ days where that occured at times 

I think the issue here is that we have such limited options. We must have such limited options to be playing Rowe in a back 3 & allowing Brunt in a squad! If / when we get some of the injured players back, I’d expect to see more rotation, the problem is, will the players currently playing survive injuries by the time the others return? Or will it simply be a case of those coming back having to replace more injured players for the remainder of the season.

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I'm not convinced he's done the best job possible with rotation, time will tell. Very difficult job trying to cope with injuries, keep players fresh, keep us in contention .

As for the team, Holden said it will more or less be the same, and reading between the lines I think the only player coming back will be Kalas. The it's a toss up at LB, could give JD a rest or give Rowe a break, might depend on the shape we set up with. 3-5-2 I'd go with JD, 4-3-3 Rowe. I would guess Wells will start, could do with that instinct in the box. Semenyo could be due a rest and 3-5-2 would give him that chance. Wells, Martin, Semenyo or Wells, Martin. Personally I would be tempted to rest Pato or COD, the option being HNM, he looked very rusty though. Not sure there is any other way of getting him up to speed without playing him as we can't play friendlies. 

If I had to guess, I think we will probably start with the safe 3-5-2 that we have employed , so.

Bentley

Vyner.    Kalas.    Moore

Hunt.  HNM/Pato  Nagy. COD.    DaSilva

Martin  Wells

I tend to agree.  With Covid out of the way, Mariappa fitter, Bakinson and hopefully Kalas nearing contention he probably will have more options come Saturday (if not tonight).  Then we can hopefully judge better.  But I would say it’s an area he can improve.

2 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I think the issue here is that we have such limited options. We must have such limited options to be playing Rowe in a back 3 & allowing Brunt in a squad! If / when we get some of the injured players back, I’d expect to see more rotation, the problem is, will the players currently playing survive injuries by the time the others return? Or will it simply be a case of those coming back having to replace more injured players for the remainder of the season.

Indeed. I sometimes feel we are not very flexible formation wise, with what seems like 3-4 seasons of having key players injured you'd think we would've almost perfected having to change tactics/formation for what players we have and what works best. It's possible we have tried that and it's gone over my head. Maybe that is simply asking too much to keep messing around with tactics, which is how I think LJ failed ?

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I tend to agree.  With Covid out of the way, Mariappa fitter, Bakinson and hopefully Kalas nearing contention he probably will have more options come Saturday (if not tonight).  Then we can hopefully judge better.  But I would say it’s an area he can improve.

What has to be remembered is that there was also less of a preseason & on top of that Martin, Brunt & now Mariappa basically had no preseason. And remember that preseason is normally at least 8 weeks long just go get fitness levels up, so having no preseason & then training at a club already playing, training isn’t going to be so intense & it is likely to take even longer to get those players up to speed.

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Providing we don't start picking up any more injuries, with ones coming back, but others dropping out due to getting crocked. 

2 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Indeed. I sometimes feel we are not very flexible formation wise, with what seems like 3-4 seasons of having key players injured you'd think we would've almost perfected having to change tactics/formation for what players we have and what works best. It's possible we have tried that and it's gone over my head. Maybe that is simply asking too much to keep messing around with tactics, which is how I think LJ failed ?

That is always something I’ve not really understood but then I don’t know if it’s more difficult to adjust playing as a professional but I managed to play from a kid as a striker before moving to wide midfield, central midfield, defensive midfield, centre back & right-back (we won’t talk about my one game in goal) & I didn’t feel I particularly needed to learn each position or changing of formations & I only trained once a week for 2 hours or so, so how these pro’s struggle with formations or positions when they are seemingly training so much & having tactical meetings all the time is beyond me.

I think part of the problem now is that players need to be told how to do everything, there is very little natural flow to a game.

13 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

I'm hoping for a return to the back four that served us well at Cardiff, accompanied by a midfield that can tackle and offer forward options.

It'll never see the floodlight of day, but how about

Bentley

Hunt   Vyner  Kalas  Dasilva

Bakinson  Nagy  Rowe

Semenyo  Martin Wells

I can’t see Pato not starting. Him in for Rowe if Deano goes with the other 10.

1 hour ago, GlastonburyRed said:

Providing we don't start picking up any more injuries, with ones coming back, but others dropping out due to getting crocked. 

Yep, big caveat is that one! ??

1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

That is always something I’ve not really understood but then I don’t know if it’s more difficult to adjust playing as a professional but I managed to play from a kid as a striker before moving to wide midfield, central midfield, defensive midfield, centre back & right-back (we won’t talk about my one game in goal) & I didn’t feel I particularly needed to learn each position or changing of formations & I only trained once a week for 2 hours or so, so how these pro’s struggle with formations or positions when they are seemingly training so much & having tactical meetings all the time is beyond me.

I think part of the problem now is that players need to be told how to do everything, there is very little natural flow to a game.

I suspect your training (like most amateur teams) tended to be a bit of fitness and a “game” rather than working on tactical shape (with and without the ball), studying the opposition, etc.  You probably tended to play what you thought the position demanded without thinking of the bigger picture.  The higher up you go the more complex the simple game becomes.

Football intelligence comes into too.  Some players will be more adaptable.

Just look at Chris Brunt (and I’m picking up on @Harry’s observations).  You can tell that he is far less comfortable playing in CM than he would be at LB / LM / LW.  His body position is all over the shop.  15 years playing top two tiers hasn’t really taught him to play a different position.  Look at how players run off of him, look how he can’t intercept / react.

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I suspect your training (like most amateur teams) tended to be a bit of fitness and a “game” rather than working on tactical shape (with and without the ball), studying the opposition, etc.  You probably tended to play what you thought the position demanded without thinking of the bigger picture.  The higher up you go the more complex the simple game becomes.

Just look at Chris Brunt (and I’m picking up on @Harry’s observations).  You can tell that he is far less comfortable playing in CM than he would be at LB / LM / LW.  His body position is all over the shop.  15 years playing top two tiers hasn’t really taught him to play a different position.  Look at how players run off of him, look how he can’t intercept / react.

I know it was way back and the game is a lot different now, but Paul Madeley played in a lot of different positions for Leeds.

Whoever was injured he just seemed to slot right into their place. Also played quite a few times for England, guess he was a rare breed.

43 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

I know it was way back and the game is a lot different now, but Paul Madeley played in a lot of different positions for Leeds.

Whoever was injured he just seemed to slot right into their place. Also played quite a few times for England, guess he was a rare breed.

James Milner in more recent times.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Spot on Dave. 
Brunt is simply NOT a defensive midfielder (I know you personally don’t like to refer to DM, AM, AMC etc, but you know what I mean - a deeper lying, centrally positioned, defensive screen). 
His body shape, when defending, is that of a winger. He allows passing lanes. This makes it extremely easy for the opposition to penetrate the central midfield area and pressure the back line. 
I don’t want to write him off as a footballer altogether (although it’s close), but I just don’t see what he offers in a DM role, aside from gifting attacks for the opposition.

7 hours ago, Top Robin said:

I would tweak like this and yes I would play Dasilva as an out and out left midfielder/winger and Semenyo the same on the right.

Bentley

Hunt   Vyner  Kalas  Rowe

Semenyo   Bakinson  Nagy  Dasilva

Martin  Wells

What!!!! 
4-4-2!!! 

What is this strange wizardry? Is this some sort of new-fangled foreign import! 

It’ll never work ?

3 hours ago, Sturny said:

Top goal scorer, he deserves a place 

I agree, in that I think it unlikely that Holden will omit him, but as discussed on other threads ("Style of Play" & "What Can We Expect"), Paterson is looking increasingly tired and needs a rest. He started the season very lively, but when his effectiveness is diminished, whether through fatigue or otherwise, the team as a whole is disproportionately affected, especially in the attacking third. There is currently no obvious, like-for-like replacement, which is why he gets flogged to death.

It's a concern. The only possible solution to which, short term, as far as I can see, is the suggestion made by several posters, that less should be asked and expected of him. (He is a very hard-working player.) Get him closer to the front two and you may resolve the problem we saw on Saturday, of so few scoring opportunities and attempts on goal. It will throw an increased burden on other areas of the midfield, when players are already working flat-out, but perhaps a risk worth taking. 

54 minutes ago, tin said:

With the players potentially available, I'd go with something like...

lineup (3).png

Like everything about that apart from Vyner RB, not totally convinced he's the best RB option. Better at CB. 

He'd be great defensively but I imagine O'Dowda wouldn't receive a great deal of attacking support down that side. That left side though ?

54 minutes ago, tin said:

With the players potentially available, I'd go with something like...

lineup (3).png

Been wanting to see something like this for ages. Pato and O'dowda aren't working as centre mids. This would allow Nagy to play a freer role, and Pato being further forward should suit him. With how quickly Bakinson gets the ball forward it shouldn't limit us too much in attack (not that there has been any sort of cohesion in that area recently)

Still can’t seriously believe some people are selecting Bakinson in their starting lineup after one day’s training in over 2 weeks..

Don’t think based on recent games I would be confident in seeing Kalas tonight, either.

3 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

As I said, some players are adaptable, unfortunately not all.  Ajax used to make their players play all positions....Bergkamp was RB for a while at Ajax.  Back in the day we have utility players....Gary Mabbutt, Mike Duxbury, Rob Newman, etc are names from my days growing up.  In the days of one sub, they were key.

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

James Milner in more recent times.

Yes, good intelligent footballer, technically good too.

45 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Like everything about that apart from Vyner RB, not totally convinced he's the best RB option. Better at CB. 

He'd be great defensively but I imagine O'Dowda wouldn't receive a great deal of attacking support down that side. That left side though ?

My thinking behind Vyner at RB was purely to give Hunt a breather and give us the option to go three at the back with minimal fuss. 

42 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Still can’t seriously believe some people are selecting Bakinson in their starting lineup after one day’s training in over 2 weeks..

Don’t think based on recent games I would be confident in seeing Kalas tonight, either.

I would give him 50-60 mins tonight before Massengo comes on. Rather have a square peg in a square hole offering support for Nagy and protection for the defence than watch more of Pato and COD playing deeper than they should be without really affecting the game. 

Archived