IGNORED

Chris Brunt

Bassomylord

I didn’t get the signing of Brunt at the time and get it even less with each game. I don’t think it helps him being played out of position as a holding midfielder where his lack of legs are really exposed, though. Can’t pass, can’t control, mostly side on defensively, stuck in the mud - really poor. 

There’s this screen on the tips for football manager which says “In their latter years, players attributes will decline considerably and often suddenly”.

All that’s missing is a picture of Chris Brunt next to that. Clearly was a player at one stage, but as of now, he’s gone. And in a season where there are 8/9 games some months, there’s no way he’ll be able to get to the level needed.

Holden's been pretty good after players play in changing things.

His pecking order style selection policy has issues if he mis-identifies a players ability as we saw with Nagy being frozen out for Brunt earlier in the season.

Hopefully, Bakinson plays next time, and we have him alongside Nagy, and Brunt reverts to his, substitute, game manager when we're ahead role, that he was alright in at the start of the season.

2 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Brunt was taking a leadership role in defence in second half and was, in my opinion, solid.  Criticism is not fair.  It isn’t all about speed it is about positioning and leadership - in fact just like Ivor Guy at the end of his career!

I think putting him as a lone central defensive mid is setting him up to fail, and he can play a role when he's put in a position to succeed like he was in the second half after we had the lead.

While people will criticise the player, when I am yelling abuse at Brunt, it's really Holden I'm having a go at. Because he SUCKED first half.

Just now, steviestevieneville said:

Brunt played well second half. Shielded the back for very well . He’s been poor so far , but with no preseason and only a few minutes on the pitch , I’m still giving him the benefit of the doubt. No one played well first half . 

Ironically I think he probably needs games - difficult if he’s struggling , but I’m sure a run of games / minutes would see him look much better

Needs a few 90 minutes games to get going, gain match fitness and sharpness. 

Short cameos for some, get become more difficult with age.  Both Brunt and Martin seem to struggle to get up to speed coming on as sub.

Second half particularly he was what we’ve been missing for many seasons, strength, presence, a bit of nouse and will to win in the middle of the park. Luv it. 

2 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Outside of the post I thought. 

Re: Brunt , let’s just hope his experience counts in the coming months rather than his engine. PS I thought he was bobbins in the first half. 

Well the commentator did say that he could hear Brunt being very vocal on the pitch. That's what every good team needs - leaders

21 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Brunt played well second half. Shielded the back for very well . He’s been poor so far , but with no preseason and only a few minutes on the pitch , I’m still giving him the benefit of the doubt. No one played well first half . 

Thought our centre backs were ok first half & Bentley saved us (again) but agree Brunt had a far better second half.

I doubt very much he will start a lot of games for us but the fact we were able to ease the recuperating Bakinson in for 10 minutes was good & Brunt being available to play (unlike Williams or Walsh) can only help with that.

1 minute ago, AshtonGreat said:

Well the commentator did say that he could hear Brunt being very vocal on the pitch. That's what every good team needs - leaders

Maybe. I’ve played with loads of mouthy bastards over the years, some knew what they were doing, some were just gobshites. Being vocal in itself isn’t worth, what, £10k a week minimum?

1 minute ago, RedRock said:

Needs a few 90 minutes games to get going, gain match fitness and sharpness. 

Short cameos for some, get become more difficult with age.  Both Brunt and Martin seem to struggle to get up to speed coming on as sub.

Second half particularly he was what we’ve been missing for many seasons, strength, presence, a bit of nouse and will to win in the middle of the park. Luv it. 

Absolutely if he can get a run if games we will see a decent player , good second half , definitely didn’t have a great start to the match but the meltdowns on here , worst player ever etc , are frankly pathetic 

Archived