IGNORED

Callum

Globe Trotter

1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

Turn back to Semenyo’s recent comments about the coaches having faith in him

COD doesn’t raise this but there is no doubt DH has faith in him , and has showed so , and that COD is benefitting

Have always that there is a very decent Championship player there, constructive criticism fine but the

Hes s***’. , ‘offers nothing’ , ‘rip up his contract’  type comments are laughable

There are posters who you can guarantee , very first post shortly after kick off , will be critical of one of a small band of players , usually COD , waiting for any hint of an error or poor touch to vent their spleen 

* And he’s not the only one benefitting in the coaches faith 

It’s why I close the MDT at k/o....and funnily enough....watch the actual game. ???

44 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, we all have unconscious bias, hence why last week I wrote that sometimes we need to ignore individual performances because they might be the sacrifice for the team to work...although hard to ignore Callum’s second half performance last night!

His post-match interview was good too.  Quite humble, whilst recognising they pressed poorly as a team first half.  Worth a watch / listen.  You sense he’s enjoying getting a run in the team.  Holden’s “possession of the shirt” selection policy working both ways.

Yeah, I almost choked typing it ???.

Seriously though, he’s been steadily improving since he got his chance in the team, last night topped it off.  I know it means nothing in reality but in the numbers he deserves at least a “1” in the assists column last night, because we can all be critical of end product, last night that’s exactly what we got.

Personally I don’t think there’s one player in our squad that’s “league one at best” or “downs league”.  There are some that Holden thinks are better than others, and rightly so, but in the main, virtually every player who’s had reasonable minutes this season has looked good enough at some point.  Players will have peaks and troughs.  Taylor Moore probably the most deviation so far, but he’s still capable and done good jobs in several games.

As I always say we are too keen as a fan base to take one poor performance and define them by it.

I do like Reading OTIB post-win.  There are obviously extreme posters on here, but post-win I think you get a more balanced discussion and probably read people’s real thoughts.

What a stupid opening question ?

How pleased are you with the result ? performance ? Win? 

Not at all , not very , very ... 

2 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Turn back to Semenyo’s recent comments about the coaches having faith in him

COD doesn’t raise this but there is no doubt DH has faith in him , and has showed so , and that COD is benefitting

Have always that there is a very decent Championship player there, constructive criticism fine but the

Hes s***’. , ‘offers nothing’ , ‘rip up his contract’  type comments are laughable

There are posters who you can guarantee , very first post shortly after kick off , will be critical of one of a small band of players , usually COD , waiting for any hint of an error or poor touch to vent their spleen 

* And he’s not the only one benefitting in the coaches faith 

A case in point last night - one poster slagging off Adam after one misplaced pass. The nice thing there was just afterwards he spotted the danger and nipped in to take it off Chair`s toe just as he was shaping to shoot.

It is funny seeing them try and dig themselves out of the hole they`ve made later in the game though......................

16 hours ago, Red Alert said:

Is it a coincidence that he’s had a consistent run of games?

He's had the runs of games before and struggled a bit to make an impact. He's looked better in general this season. My guess - although I don't know the ins and outs and I could be wrong - is he is a bit clearer on what is expected of him. I wonder if in the past he was overloaded with instructions and that was hindering his natural game. 

8 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

He's had the runs of games before and struggled a bit to make an impact. He's looked better in general this season. My guess - although I don't know the ins and outs and I could be wrong - is he is a bit clearer on what is expected of him. I wonder if in the past he was overloaded with instructions and that was hindering his natural game. 

I think the same goes for Nagy, both are now fully fit, have been given a good run of games and clearly the manager has confidence in them which they are rewarding with recent performances.

I wonder if Nagy and Callum are also benefitting from Holden’s man management style in comparison to LJ’s for example.

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Interesting.....last night he made his 8th consecutive league start inc 6 x 90 minutes

In his time here, his previous best starting league runs were:

• 7 in 17/18 when it terminated with his injury at Hull (he played all 90 mins in each until he came off after 55 mins injured
  • 14 in 18/19 when he came into the starting line up 3 games into our 12 game unbeaten run (8 x 90 mins
  • 6 in 19/20 before he got injured at West Brom (4 90s)
  • 6 in 19/20 straddling Covid (2 90s) - brought to an end by manager change 

Other than those, 3 is his best run....in fact he played his first three games (being subbed in each) when he joined.

@JonDolman thought you’d be interested.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Thanks Dave. Not that it matters but I always thought 18/19 unbeaten run was 15 games.

It's why I mainly backed LJ most of the time here because he was capable of superb unbeaten runs. But by the end it seemed he lost the ability to do that anymore!

You know me!

F3D8AB95-6EC7-4B41-8FDE-81267ECF4569.jpeg

Good to see Callum performing at his level.  Always convinced he is worth persevering with.  I have always wanted to him him play in a more advanced role - wide of one side with Eliasson on the other would have been exciting. 

I hope he takes the 'Bobby Reod' mantle (albeit without the goals)  in terms of his impact and how is is perceived by fans 

19 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep - good post - interesting though that when Jack Grealish is consistently the most fouled player in any division lots on here ignorantly call him a ‘diver’ - skilful players who run with the ball will always be the most fouled - amazing how so many just can’t grasp that ...

Both Grealish and O'Dowda hit the floor very easily - a blind man could see that.

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Skilful players get fouled more often ... Grealish is consistently the most fouled player at whatever level he plays ... not a cheat, just fouled lots, doubt a blind person could see that as per your post ...

Cheats too.

Just watched the winner again on Youtube. The way he nicks the ball and backs himself to run the long way around and collect is quality. I loved watching that goal. Give the guy the credit he deserves for recent performances and the effort. He's been running his socks off too. Well deserving of a place in the side on merit. Time to get off the bloke's back.

20 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You think Jack is a cheat? 

If by that you mean, if someone dives then they’re a cheat, then yes he’s a cheat.

He cheats some of the time.  He’s matured a bit and it isn’t as blatant as it was, but yes he still dives, feigns injury, etc.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If by that you mean, if someone dives then they’re a cheat, then yes he’s a cheat.

He cheats some of the time.  He’s matured a bit and it isn’t as blatant as it was, but yes he still dives, feigns injury, etc.

And then he laughs straight into the camera to confirm what he's just done. Great player to watch, but some of this "going to gound" stuff has been pretty comical for the neutral watching, in all honesy, it's been great fun to watch. I'm sort of liking the guy more and more  :laugh:

Who the fick would love a talented, crazy Brummie accented madman who plays for England. Count me IN.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

As I said, a blind man can see it.

I'm not accusing O'Dowda to be at the same level, but he does hit the deck too easily - he needs to work on his upper body strength a bit imo.

1 minute ago, Garland-sweden said:

Glad that COD shows that he can play. Vs QPR he was excellent. That run before our second goal was fast and class. He have doing ok the latest games but on tuesday he was awesome. Doesnt matter who scores for us but I really hope COD finds the net soon, he is worth it.

Always thought he had some class and a great football brain. Everyone on here well most knocked him harshly last season. However it shows a different manager can bring out the best in a player. He’s a great asset and he has played very well of late and will only get better. 

Thought Callum had an excellent second half the other night.

If we stick with 4-3-3 vs. Brum I’d quite like to see a midfield 3 of Bakinson in the defensive role with Nagy (looked good with the license to get forwards vs QPR) and COD roaming.

Dare I say I’d go with Nagy over Pato till the latter is fully fit. 

7 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

As I said, a blind man can see it.

I'm not accusing O'Dowda to be at the same level, but he does hit the deck too easily - he needs to work on his upper body strength a bit imo.

He hinted at that during his most recent interview and said how he’s feeling more confident which comes from Deano having faith in him and giving him regular starts.

40 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Thought Callum had an excellent second half the other night.

If we stick with 4-3-3 vs. Brum I’d quite like to see a midfield 3 of Bakinson in the defensive role with Nagy (looked good with the license to get forwards vs QPR) and COD roaming.

Dare I say I’d go with Nagy over Pato till the latter is fully fit. 

Not drawing conclusions yet, but he looked better when we went with a more 4213 (two CDMs) than the starting 433/4123 (one CDM).

I think several of us have wanted to see a blend of two more natural midfielders with one more attacking midfielder.....in my case since we lost Weimann.

No point flogging Pato now we have Bakinson approaching full fitness, but we also need to be mindful of flogging COD too.  He put in a shift on Tuesday.

Options starting to look better is the crux of it though, both in terms of set up and personnel.

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not drawing conclusions yet, but he looked better when we went with a more 4213 (two CDMs) than the starting 433/4123 (one CDM).

Serious point here Fevs - you and plenty of other frequently refer to formations whereas I look and the line up and subconsciously form a shape of the team. Defenders, midfielders and strikers. What I don’t do is think that it’s a 4-4-2 or a 3-5-2 or any other formation

The reason I don’t it because the formation of the team constantly changes throughout the game. They line up with a formation template but within minutes that formation has changed as the game dictates. Deano calls it ‘fluidity’ and something they work on regularly at Failand. 

At QPR a fairly simple ‘tweak’ at ht enabled City to adopt a different method play which won us the game.

Many, many times at AG I’ve seen the formation change almost instantly when City lose or regain possession and that’s exactly why I don’t consider formations to be that crucial. 

I really like Deano’s way of looking at it.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Serious point here Fevs - you and plenty of other frequently refer to formations whereas I look and the line up and subconsciously form a shape of the team. Defenders, midfielders and strikers. What I don’t do is think that it’s a 4-4-2 or a 3-5-2 or any other formation

The reason I don’t it because the formation of the team constantly changes throughout the game. They line up with a formation template but within minutes that formation has changed as the game dictates. Deano calls it ‘fluidity’ and something they work on regularly at Failand. 

At QPR a fairly simple ‘tweak’ at ht enabled City to adopt a different method play which won us the game.

Many, many times at AG I’ve seen the formation change almost instantly when City lose or regain possession and that’s exactly why I don’t consider formations to be that crucial. 

I really like Deano’s way of looking at it.

I try not to believe it or not...I’m the biggest advocate on here (I reckon) of formations not being the be-all and end-all....but without drawing pics the easiest way of describing standard shape (say at a goal-kick where you can sense the formation) is by using a formation notation (NNN or NNNN).  Formation notation doesn’t imply player roles, style, defensive line, etc, nor how it morphs with and without the ball relative to the position of the ball and opponents.

If you read my match previews you’ll see I talk about basic formation, but then use match photos adding blobs and lines / arrows to show many things, often that the basic formation has been deconstructed in the real-time of the game.

In my database that I build myself I capture things like whether a defender is playing as part of a back 3, or whether a forward is playing alone, as a pair, etc etc.  All useful stuff for looking at trends too.

I don’t particularly like the proliferation of terminology of DMs, CAMs (from Football Manager) or the more en-vogue “a 6 and two 8s”....but depending on your audience they adequate ways of conveying football stuff.

Its others you need to convince to think differently, not me. ???

23 hours ago, Davefevs said:

If you believe that to be true then he’s pretty much the same as 99% of professional footballers, and loads of amateurs too, yet he’s singled out unfairly...

Archived