IGNORED

Dire

Lenners

Sorry to put a downer on the result, I’ve given myself a few hours to reflect and even watched the highlights package back and come to the same conclusion. That was poor, again.

Our game plan just seems to be to not get dicked in the first half through nothing other than luck (missed chances) and then finally have a go.

Lee Johnson’s reign in terms of style of football was it it’s worst last season, this is just as bad if not arguably worse.

Seriously, if the football was shite but the end result was good I’d be content (i.e Warnock with his 8 promotions), but we are due an absolute drubbing soon from any half decent side gifting chances as we are and you can bet everything you own on us unravelling at the back end of the season just as we always do.

I’m struggling to find much to be positive about currently. Semenyo looks a talent, O’Dowda’s stepping up at long last and Vyner’s been a breath of fresh air. Other than that? As I said, I’m struggling.

Erm...

We're 3rd, we are showing great character and win away again- Wells scoring and assisting, this will see his confidence shoot up- I was a bit wary of Wells on the left from a tactical and control POV but he delivered!

I hope we keep going along and steadily bring the style up, hopefully with the results still in hand, as and when players return.

We can come back from losses with positive results, we can come back in games, we can stay in and get what we need- the fact we are winning when surely a long way from our best, our potential- this should be praised!

Walking slightly further into the fishing expedition, but took a quick skimread of Holden's pre-game comments- not got round to the post match ones yet.

You might be interested in them @JollyestOli

We want to be better in all areas. We want to create more chances, we want to pass the ball better and we are trying to find that balance between being defensively solid and still carrying that attacking threat.

“I said to the players this morning we are nearly a third of the way through the season now and we are within touching distance of that top two, so we are in a decent position, but we know there is still miles more to come from this group of players. There is still more development to come, the more that we work together, and this is a big challenge for us tomorrow night, but it can’t come quick enough."

Remember when we were winning easily and dominating periods in the first phase of the season? "We're nowhere near where we want to be" was a fairly regular refrain.

Good to see high standards, always pushing for more.

1 hour ago, JollyestOli said:

Sorry to put a downer on the result, I’ve given myself a few hours to reflect and even watched the highlights package back and come to the same conclusion. That was poor, again.

Our game plan just seems to be to not get dicked in the first half through nothing other than luck (missed chances) and then finally have a go.

Lee Johnson’s reign in terms of style of football was it it’s worst last season, this is just as bad if not arguably worse.

Seriously, if the football was shite but the end result was good I’d be content (i.e Warnock with his 8 promotions), but we are due an absolute drubbing soon from any half decent side gifting chances as we are and you can bet everything you own on us unravelling at the back end of the season just as we always do.

I’m struggling to find much to be positive about currently. Semenyo looks a talent, O’Dowda’s stepping up at long last and Vyner’s been a breath of fresh air. Other than that? As I said, I’m struggling.

With a user name “Ollie is happy” You don’t need to Jean Paul Sartre to know you’re a saddo from the nether realms of league 1.

Off you trot to contemplate a relegation battle to avoid the drop to the basement league (again) under the helm of Paul “ he’s one of our own” .Tisdale 

5 hours ago, JollyestOli said:

I regularly think like this. It all goes back to the false position debate and I genuinely think we are in one. The warning signs are there. 

That being said, we’ve probably got 4-5 first teamers out injured. If we can just hang in there, I think we’ll be very different with a first choice midfield. 

Seriously, if the football was shite but the end result was good I’d be content 

Have you seen the table?  We’ve won 8, are 3rd and 1 point off top after playing 15 of the 23 teams we can face including 8 of the current top 11.  By your own rules, if you are not content with that then you need a new hobby, seriously

Sleep is your friend. 

8 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I regularly think like this. It all goes back to the false position debate and I genuinely think we are in one. The warning signs are there. 

That being said, we’ve probably got 4-5 first teamers out injured. If we can just hang in there, I think we’ll be very different with a first choice midfield. 

Very much the same opinion. 

A win is a win, sometimes pretty sometimes not.

19 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Nail-on-head, if we can keep in and about the top six  'winning ugly' whilst missing Williams, Walsh, Mawson then there has to be real hope we can really kick-on when they are all fit to play (assuming we don't get any more key injuries in the meantime).

6 hours ago, JollyestOli said:

Piss off gas

Lets see what we can do when we have a fully fit squad yes we are not playing that well at the moment but it is a patched up side and we are joint second. We have 7 players out injured who would be classed as automatic starters to come back at some point so keep the faith

At the start of the season had you been told we'd play most games with Vyner and Moore at the heart of defence, that Rowe would be a regular, that COD would hold down a midfield position, that we'd miss Bakeinson and that Semenyo would keep Fam and Wells out of the team I doubt that many would have expected little more than a midtable spot at best 

Factor in a rookie boss, that most fans never wanted or rated, I suspect most would have been happy just to stay out of the bottom 6.

That we are where we are, despite an horrendous catelogue of injuries, speaks volumes for a team (including coaching staff) all pulling in the same direction. 

As for how we play, at the end of each round of golf my scorecard doesn't record the how, just the how many - the league table is much the same. 

I think it’s all about perspective.

I think a lot people would agree there have been many periods of crap this season. More than the good. I would also suggest that to the objective third party, there we have picked up more points than the performances would have suggested we did.

However, this is a unique season, dominated by COVID-19 and compounded by an awful injury list. I’m not giving Dean Holden a pass, but i am looking at this season and adding a lot of caveats.

Here we are, third in December. Not unusual for Bristol City, can Chino Deano keep it going into spring, unlike Lee?

Just enjoy it. People aren’t stupid, they know it’s been dirge at times, but we keep picking up points. 

One day we won’t, then we can all be depressed together ??

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

At the start of the season had you been told we'd play most games with Vyner and Moore at the heart of defence, that Rowe would be a regular, that COD would hold down a midfield position, that we'd miss Bakeinson and that Semenyo would keep Fam and Wells out of the team..

..And joint 2nd

If it was, it didn't work. Perhaps if we had man marked him he wouldn't have scored?

31 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Norwich were the only team so far that completely outplayed City - they’re a strong outfit.

Last night the QPR goal was down to poor defending with Dickie being allowed a free header but that’s not a worrying warning sign as such, just a defensive error that we fortunately don’t see that often.

City fought back, scored an excellent equaliser and went on to win the game. 

38 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Interesting question as what would be our first choice midfield? 

Over the season most would see it including Bakeinson. Over the last few games it would be hard to leave out Nagy. Looking at last night and a few other games might COD feature? 

Perhaps the 'first choice midfield' might have a battle to get into the team!  

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

Interesting question as what would be our first choice midfield? 

Over the season most would see it including Bakeinson. Over the last few games it would be hard to leave out Nagy. Looking at last night and a few other games might COD feature? 

Perhaps the 'first choice midfield' might have a battle to get into the team!  

The likes of Walsh, Williams and Bakinson would definitely have to force themselves into the starting 11. The guys currently wearing the shirt are doing a reasonable job as the Championship table shows.

I still reckon tho Barry Bannan would walk into our current team tho.................:rofl2br:

Archived