IGNORED

Dire

Lenners

2 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

That may well be the case but things can’t get much worse with our squad situation & injuries so hoping that that will get better, we could have 2 fully fit first choice central midfielders & a couple of defenders becoming available for the 2nd half of the season, that would enable us to rest & rotate players. But I guess it depends on whether you want to look at your glass as being half full or half empty..........

Every squad has injuries, that's the nature of the beast this season and every season. 

We're fortunate to have a bigger squad than most, the only position we look light in is CB. It's no excuse, imo.

1 minute ago, JollyestOli said:

Every squad has injuries, that's the nature of the beast this season and every season. 

We're fortunate to have a bigger squad than most, the only position we look light in is CB. It's no excuse, imo.

Really? I’d say the only position we look to be covered in right now is up front & in goal. I’d say we lack cover across the defence & midfield.

Just now, Tipps69 said:

Really? I’d say the only position we look to be covered in right now is up front & in goal. I’d say we lack cover across the defence & midfield.

Fair enough.

Matter of opinion, mine is that Nagy, Bakinson, Williams, Massengo, Walsh, Weimann, Paterson, Brunt, O'Dowda and Rowe is enough to cover three positions.

16 minutes ago, JollyestOli said:

Fair enough.

Matter of opinion, mine is that Nagy, Bakinson, Williams, Massengo, Walsh, Weimann, Paterson, Brunt, O'Dowda and Rowe is enough to cover three positions.

Mine is, Walsh, Williams & Weimann have been injured for either all of the season so far or a large part of it. Brunt shouldn’t be classed as a footballer any more & Bakinson is someone who before the season started was due to go out on loan to Plymouth because he wasn’t considered first team ready yet & has been injured / unwell for the last month or so.

That then basically leaves you with a very young Massengo (who’s also been ill), Nagy, Paterson, O’Dowda & Rowe, of which I would only describe Nagy as a natural central midfielder! And as I mentioned previously, we haven’t had time to train players to play in other positions adequately, that is why it is taking so long for the likes of O’Dowda to adapt adequately.

How many of that midfield (as you’ve listed them) would get into any other top 10 Championship team? I’d suggest maybe 1?

7 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Nail-on-head, if we can keep in and about the top six  'winning ugly' whilst missing Williams, Walsh, Mawson then there has to be real hope we can really kick-on when they are all fit to play (assuming we don't get any more key injuries in the meantime).

Fear we won't see him again, hope I'm wrong.

Was reading the Fulham forum on an unrelated matter, has he had an injury history?

16 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Mine is, Walsh, Williams & Weimann have been injured for either all of the season so far or a large part of it. Brunt shouldn’t be classed as a footballer any more & Bakinson is someone who before the season started was due to go out on loan to Plymouth because he wasn’t considered first team ready yet & has been injured / unwell for the last month or so.

That then basically leaves you with a very young Massengo (who’s also been ill), Nagy, Paterson, O’Dowda & Rowe, of which I would only describe Nagy as a natural central midfielder! And as I mentioned previously, we haven’t had time to train players to play in other positions adequately, that is why it is taking so long for the likes of O’Dowda to adapt adequately.

How many of that midfield (as you’ve listed them) would get into any other top 10 Championship team? I’d suggest maybe 1?

Paterson, Walsh and Williams all top 10 Champ midfielders imo.

Fair point on Brunt, flogging a dead horse on that one. Rather have kept Morrell.....

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

Norwich were the only team so far that completely outplayed City - they’re a strong outfit.

Last night the QPR goal was down to poor defending with Dickie being allowed a free header but that’s not a worrying warning sign as such, just a defensive error that we fortunately don’t see that often.

City fought back, scored an excellent equaliser and went on to win the game. 

Even then, we could have made it tougher for them. Clearly good chunks of it down to them but conceding so early and so late in the half and in the relatively simple way we did, frustrating!

That's before we when get onto the penalty miss, Martin also hit the post a few mins before albeit from long range so that's a fairly low % chance.

Possible they win anyway, strong side after all but we missed some big chances.

7 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Liam Walsh a top 10 Midfielder. Based on what?

Josh DaSilva, Lerma, Cantwell, Gibbs White, Skipp, B Dack, that Danish bloke from Brentford. Thats 8 off the top of my head

Not top 10 individuals, meaning he's top 10 club standard.

Walsh was the best midfielder in L1 last season I watched him for Coventry a fair bit and I've seen all of his data, he would be an absolute gem for us if we ever do see him again in a City shirt.

Another thing to factor in.

7 points I make it gained from losing positions so far. That has to be a good indicator?

I would add Barnsley away one gained or two dropped? Could put it in either category, as though we conceded a penalty right at the end, we also came back from a goal down and a tough start. 

Could easily class that one as cancelling out a bit.

19 minutes ago, JollyestOli said:

Paterson, Walsh and Williams all top 10 Champ midfielders imo.

Fair point on Brunt, flogging a dead horse on that one. Rather have kept Morrell.....

How can Walsh & Williams possibly get into a top 10 teams midfield when they can’t get in ours? If they were playing for us then maybe you’d be a bit more positive? 

7 minutes ago, JollyestOli said:

Not top 10 individuals, meaning he's top 10 club standard.

Walsh was the best midfielder in L1 last season I watched him for Coventry a fair bit and I've seen all of his data, he would be an absolute gem for us if we ever do see him again in a City shirt.

Would be interested to see a CM 3 of Walsh-Williams-Nagy. Dunno what the best order left to right is but think it could be very useful.

Can't discount Bakinson too of course, my thinking was Walsh and Williams, then one of Bakinson or Nagy subject to form, fitness opposition etc but Nagy is showing his talent now.

Would have kept Morrell too tbh or maybe insisted on a buyback clause in sale to Luton- a buyback clause with a profit to Luton as that's how they work but a buyback clause all the same.

As for Walsh, best in a 3 I'm sure. We must make sure that the 3 man CM regularly used, this was something LJ was loathe to do in terms of a genuine CM 3, minus shoehorning players in which was a criticism I had because I think it could have suited us very well!

Real positives from last night in addition to the 3 points were :

• the performance of COD - great play for the 2nd goal and a hand in the 1st
  • we were able to rest Pato and Hunt, which should see them back with more energy for the weekend. Same for Fam.
  • we were able to give match time to Mariapa and Brunt which can only help them.

Looking forward to two home games with a more fully fit squad

14 hours ago, JollyestOli said:

Sorry to put a downer on the result, I’ve given myself a few hours to reflect and even watched the highlights package back and come to the same conclusion. That was poor, again.

Our game plan just seems to be to not get dicked in the first half through nothing other than luck (missed chances) and then finally have a go.

Lee Johnson’s reign in terms of style of football was it it’s worst last season, this is just as bad if not arguably worse.

Seriously, if the football was shite but the end result was good I’d be content (i.e Warnock with his 8 promotions), but we are due an absolute drubbing soon from any half decent side gifting chances as we are and you can bet everything you own on us unravelling at the back end of the season just as we always do.

I’m struggling to find much to be positive about currently. Semenyo looks a talent, O’Dowda’s stepping up at long last and Vyner’s been a breath of fresh air. Other than that? As I said, I’m struggling.

We are missing. Walsh, Williams, Mawson, Sessegnon, Baker, Weimann and now Patterson. We have kids in the side and on the bench and we have had two large bouts of Corona virus which effected Bakinson and Diehdou, Bakinson particularly who got a cameo yesterday.

Throw in the mix captain Kalas who has had two injuries that have kept him out and is playing semi fit

I’m struggling with your post! Yes sides do get injuries but we have had the guts ripped out of us and yet we are still third. 

Nagy missed a chance in the first three minutes Kalas carrying a knock got done, yet we were still in it and we won, with in the end a decent performance. A vast improvement than Reading 72 hours ago....However I defend your right to write Drivel!

41 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

How can Walsh & Williams possibly get into a top 10 teams midfield when they can’t get in ours? If they were playing for us then maybe you’d be a bit more positive? 

They aren't getting in because of injury not because of ability

8 minutes ago, JollyestOli said:

They aren't getting in because of injury not because of ability

And how do you know what ability they will have if they are ever fit, one hasn’t ever kicked a ball for us & the other hasn’t kicked a ball for us in god knows how long.

Surely you can’t judge a performance on players that haven’t played for us so far this season? Even when technically fit, it could take them weeks before they are match fit & then there’s no knowing how their injuries have affected them.

While I’m hoping they will bring us something, I’m definitely not in a position to say they could play for anyone in the top 10 of the Championship.

And this also begs the question, that if you are so positive about their performances, why are you so down on our future performances? Knowing that we are going to fall away as per usual?

3 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

And how do you know what ability they will have if they are ever fit, one hasn’t ever kicked a ball for us & the other hasn’t kicked a ball for us in god knows how long.

Surely you can’t judge a performance on players that haven’t played for us so far this season? Even when technically fit, it could take them weeks before they are match fit & then there’s no knowing how their injuries have affected them.

While I’m hoping they will bring us something, I’m definitely not in a position to say they could play for anyone in the top 10 of the Championship.

And this also begs the question, that if you are so positive about their performances, why are you so down on our future performances? Knowing that we are going to fall away as per usual?

Because I’ve seen Williams several times and he is a top 10 Championship midfielder and was one of Wigan’s best players last season, Walsh I am absolutely convinced will breeze the step up. He looked good enough when he played for us at times anyway let alone now with a 35 game season under his belt, just trust in them both. 

Also, as I believe Walsh won’t ever play for us again. But he’s ours, for now.

24 minutes ago, JollyestOli said:

Because I’ve seen Williams several times and he is a top 10 Championship midfielder and was one of Wigan’s best players last season, Walsh I am absolutely convinced will breeze the step up. He looked good enough when he played for us at times anyway let alone now with a 35 game season under his belt, just trust in them both. 

Also, as I believe Walsh won’t ever play for us again. But he’s ours, for now.

But similar was said about our League One Championship winning team before they had kicked a ball in the Championship for us & look how badly they struggled.

I just find it bizarre that you are so down on things now & for our future, especially under the current circumstances & then so positive about how 2 players that haven’t played for us will perform.

I don’t have any great concerns, I can accept that we aren’t playing champagne football & the reasons why & I’m also quite optimistic about the future once we have players back from injury that will allow us to rotate & play more appropriate formations for the players we have available, so I don’t need to worry about trusting them.

2 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

But similar was said about our League One Championship winning team before they had kicked a ball in the Championship for us & look how badly they struggled.

I just find it bizarre that you are so down on things now & for our future, especially under the current circumstances & then so positive about how 2 players that haven’t played for us will perform.

I don’t have any great concerns, I can accept that we aren’t playing champagne football & the reasons why & I’m also quite optimistic about the future once we have players back from injury that will allow us to rotate & play more appropriate formations for the players we have available, so I don’t need to worry about trusting them.

Just my observations.

On Facebook I was banging on for months about Toney, when our fans were turning up at the 9m price tag I said you’d at least double that within one season. Not looking so bad now is is it, another L1 player?

Walsh’s data from L1 was better for his comparative position last season. He will step up, be it with us or elsewhere I assure you.

5 minutes ago, JollyestOli said:

Just my observations.

On Facebook I was banging on for months about Toney, when our fans were turning up at the 9m price tag I said you’d at least double that within one season. Not looking so bad now is is it, another L1 player?

Walsh’s data from L1 was better for his comparative position last season. He will step up, be it with us or elsewhere I assure you.

I don’t doubt it but it isn’t 100% guaranteed because he hasn’t played at that level properly yet & again, your original post was all doom & gloom & about how poor we are, yet you state that Williams & Walsh are brilliant players, so why the doom & gloom for the future (assuming that these two will actually play for us)? In my opinion, a couple of actual central midfielders in our team could be the making of us because they will help keep things moving & know how to play the position & will know how to move the ball properly & supply our forwards better.

6 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I don’t doubt it but it isn’t 100% guaranteed because he hasn’t played at that level properly yet & again, your original post was all doom & gloom & about how poor we are, yet you state that Williams & Walsh are brilliant players, so why the doom & gloom for the future (assuming that these two will actually play for us)? In my opinion, a couple of actual central midfielders in our team could be the making of us because they will help keep things moving & know how to play the position & will know how to move the ball properly & supply our forwards better.

Not brilliant. Neymar is a brilliant player, not Walsh or Williams. I said they’d get into most top 10 Championship midfields.

I’ve already told you I don’t think Walsh will play for us again.

I don’t think central midfield has been the issue for us this season, in fact when Bakinson’s been in there I think we’ve actually looked at our best.

2 hours ago, JollyestOli said:

Not brilliant. Neymar is a brilliant player, not Walsh or Williams. I said they’d get into most top 10 Championship midfields.

I’ve already told you I don’t think Walsh will play for us again.

I don’t think central midfield has been the issue for us this season, in fact when Bakinson’s been in there I think we’ve actually looked at our best.

Wow, our views really do differ!

3 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

Wow, our views really do differ!

Where else have we excelled?

Wells is doing okay, Martin started well, Semenyo has done well but when out wide rather than up top.

Centre backs Vyner has been great, Kalas hit and miss due to injuries.

Central midfield both Bakinson and Nagy have been class whenever they’ve played (in my opinion), Paterson under Holden has probably been our best and most consistent player and then have Weimann/O’Dowda really done much to be criticised for? Both done fine imo. We look fine in the middle, it’s other areas that concern me.

11 hours ago, JollyestOli said:

Just my observations.

Bearing in mind we’d purchased Wells for £5m in January, were in the middle of the worst health situation the country has known in my lifetime, with no fans allowed at games and massive financial uncertainty for clubs , I can understand why the club would balk at shelling out £9m for a player, no matter how good he was and how much potential profit there might be in the future.

Brentford could afford to do so, as they had £28m in the bank from selling Watkins and needed to sign a replacement.

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Bearing in mind we’d purchased Wells for £5m in January, were in the middle of the worst health situation the country has known in my lifetime, with no fans allowed at games and massive financial uncertainty for clubs , I can understand why the club would balk at shelling out £9m for a player, no matter how good he was and how much potential profit there might be in the future.

Brentford could afford to do so, as they had £28m in the bank from selling Watkins and needed to sign a replacement.

They signed Toney before selling Watkins but I take your point.

Toney wasn't an option for us in the summer, for the reasons you mention on top of the fact that there was PL interest (Brighton) and Bournemouth and Brentford both were more appealing in this league. We missed the boat, as we did with Watkins which is a shame.

7 hours ago, JollyestOli said:

Where else have we excelled?

Wells is doing okay, Martin started well, Semenyo has done well but when out wide rather than up top.

Centre backs Vyner has been great, Kalas hit and miss due to injuries.

Central midfield both Bakinson and Nagy have been class whenever they’ve played (in my opinion), Paterson under Holden has probably been our best and most consistent player and then have Weimann/O’Dowda really done much to be criticised for? Both done fine imo. We look fine in the middle, it’s other areas that concern me.

Paterson is definitely consistent!

Archived