IGNORED

Dean and the Backroom

Port Said Red

I thought they made a big difference last night. Potentially they could have waited until half time to deal with the double threat on the right from Samuels and Kakay, but they used a sticking plaster approach of bringing Semenyo over to help out and we were already getting to grips with them.

I thought they would change formation at half time, and was really surprised and a little worried to see Rowe come on. It didn't seem a good move in theory, I would have thought that Dasilva is faster and an an actual left back, but Rowe was superb and I think proved he is no longer a "midfielder doing a job at fullback".

The game changed completely and I thought we were reasonably comfortable winners in the end.

17 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I thought they made a big difference last night. Potentially they could have waited until half time to deal with the double threat on the right from Samuels and Kakay, but they used a sticking plaster approach of bringing Semenyo over to help out and we were already getting to grips with them.

I thought they would change formation at half time, and was really surprised and a little worried to see Rowe come on. It didn't seem a good move in theory, I would have thought that Dasilva is faster and an an actual left back, but Rowe was superb and I think proved he is no longer a "midfielder doing a job at fullback".

The game changed completely and I thought we were reasonably comfortable winners in the end.

Agreed. Along with the tweak to the formation in the second half.  Those were the three decisions that won us the match I think.  

Semenyo has been accused of laziness and lacking interest in the past.  Clearly that was just a lack of confidence and in reality he works hard and has hunger in his game. 

22 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Agreed. Along with the tweak to the formation in the second half.  Those were the three decisions that won us the match I think.  

Semenyo has been accused of laziness and lacking interest in the past.  Clearly that was just a lack of confidence and in reality he works hard and has hunger in his game. 

I feel he needs that first goal and then he'll be off and running with many more.  It's not for want of trying. 

33 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I think a lot of our players got bamboozled by our old coach .

It is clear to see that today’s squad have simple instructions that they can carry out without fear or confusion.

They are well drilled.

16 minutes ago, TomF said:

I feel he needs that first goal and then he'll be off and running with many more.  It's not for want of trying. 

Been saying that for ages now. A Championship goal would be a huge boost to his self belief and who knows?, hopefully open the scoring floodgates.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Imo...DaSilva isn't a LB and he isn't a LWB. 

His strengths are that of a left sided midfielder.

As a LB in a flat back four his defensive attributes aren't strong enough.

As a LWB in a 532...he hasn't got the speed needed to run the line for 90 mins to make it worthwhile. Think Ayling...that's the type you need for a wingback.

He's one of our most gifted and talented players, yet I feel his strengths aren't being used enough, and his weaknesses shown instead.

Whoever thought Brunt in front of DaSilva would work needs a head check.

No chance of defending against speed with those two.

37 minutes ago, spudski said:

As a LWB in a 532...he hasn't got the speed needed to run the line for 90 mins to make it worthwhile. Think Ayling...that's the type you need for a wingback.

He's one of our most gifted and talented players, yet I feel his strengths aren't being used enough, and his weaknesses shown instead.

So you’d play him in midfield then?     

33 minutes ago, Robbored said:

So you’d play him in midfield then?     

If we played 442 as an example...yes I'd play him LM.

His work in midfield and probing around the box, interplay etc is far more effective imo, than his defensive work... especially when faced against speed.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Not quite sure I agree with comfortable winners, given they had 2 or 3 good chances in the last 10. That said at about 80 minutes we’d had as many shots as QPR, which for a game where they had a lot of possession and chances suggests we weren’t quite as dour and holding on as some might think. 

2 hours ago, spudski said:

I think if your game plan fails and you allow one of the opposition’s best players (BOS) to play 1 against 1, then any full-back will struggle.  Remember a certain Joe Bryan getting roasted by Asoro (Sunderland) because Kent had gone walkabout.  Not easy for a full-back on the back foot in this situation.

I think Jay is fine at LB.  last night he was exposed and not having a good game either, but I’ve seen him play well plenty of times against tough wingers.  Some little flaws to address, but nothing major.

Didn't people say that Ayling was often caught out of position? 

Amen!  Dasilva just isn't a very good defender.  Watch how many times people run past him and he doesn't track back.  Left midfield in a four is his position.  Although saying that, he rarely delivers a telling pass in to the box.  Compare that with the other side when Jack Hunt consistently makes fantastic crosses.

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think if your game plan fails and you allow one of the opposition’s best players (BOS) to play 1 against 1, then any full-back will struggle.  Remember a certain Joe Bryan getting roasted by Asoro (Sunderland) because Kent had gone walkabout.  Not easy for a full-back on the back foot in this situation.

I think Jay is fine at LB.  last night he was exposed and not having a good game either, but I’ve seen him play well plenty of times against tough wingers.  Some little flaws to address, but nothing major.

Got to disagree with you on this.  I don't think Dasilva is a good enough LB.  He does have great control (possibly best in the squad) and suffers a little bit because he doesn't mind the ball when marked but considers wrongly that his team mates have the same attitude.  If he played with players with his ball control, I think he'd start to really flourish.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think it all depends on what formation we are playing and who we have in front of him that defines his strengths Dave.

5 hours ago, spudski said:

That's a big call for a player that has played those positions throughout his junior and senior career and at youth international level. I guess players change, but I want to see him play and I can't see us playing 4 4 2 much, I would be getting him to work hard on those areas you feel he is behind in.

I think it all depends on what formation we are playing and who we have in front of him that defines his strengths Dave.

Not imho, I’d say the formation and players around him define his weaknesses.  And his weaknesses were exposed last night....because he was kept one-on-one against a tricky winger.  Most left backs in the Champ would be exposed if you left them one-on-one like that against BOS.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

That's a big call for a player that has played those positions throughout his junior and senior career and at youth international level. I guess players change, but I want to see him play and I can't see us playing 4 4 2 much, I would be getting him to work hard on those areas you feel he is behind in.

Jay is one of our most talented players. He has to play...but his weaknesses are exposed if we don't give him help.

Tbh...I would have had Rowe at LB yesterday and Jay in front of him instead of Brunt.

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not imho, I’d say the formation and players around him define his weaknesses.  And his weaknesses were exposed last night....because he was kept one-on-one against a tricky winger.  Most left backs in the Champ would be exposed if you left them one-on-one like that against BOS.

I think we are at cross purposes here Dave...that's exactly what I mean.

You don't play Brunt who is slow as a goat to help protect Jay, who isn't particularly fast, and diminutive in size.

No wonder he got pulled off last night...it was obvious that was never going to work.

You need players around Jay that cover his weaknesses.

7 hours ago, spudski said:

Don't buy that pesonally. I'd agree with @Davefevs, any full back will struggle 1 on 1. The system maketh the player in a lot of cases, and JD is a perfect example.

Dasilva is fine in the air, goes to his man quickly, press-resistant on the ball and has adequate pace to allow us to play higher without being a risk. As Dave says again, at any level as a full back, if the winger/midfielder in front of/closest to you goes walkabouts and nobody drops in to cover, then you leave yourself exposed to overloads.

I think concluding that 'defending against speed' is what makes a wing back is a bit binary. Compactness of the system OOP allows for full backs and wing backs to not be exposed as easily. Reliance on 1v1 defending in the wide areas is suspect as anything. 

EDIT:

Just seen your latest post. Agreed, Brunt infront of Dasilva is masochistic imho. 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I doubt many agree with me but I actually think Dasilva is a very good defender.

He is a good defender, but only if he has the right people around him.

Being short, diminutive in size, up against a lump with skill and speed...he has no chance on his own.  One on one against that...no chance. 

He's a great defender when he can rely on others as well.

Yesterday was a prime example. That's why he got taken off and replaced by Rowe...because Brunt wasn't complimenting Jay.

Put someone beside Jay with some power, speed and presence and he compliments that and becomes a defensive attribute with forward thinking tendencies.

Unfortunately we haven't helped Jay in selections around him.

Do you not think like Bryan...that Jay has better attacking attributes than purely defensive?

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I agree about needing more support, like Brunt and Semenyo gave Rowe second half. O'Dowda too at times once we were in front.

I am not knocking Rowe at all, as he played very well when he came on. But I think Dasilva could have improved a lot 2nd half in that set up. Unless there was something wrong with Dasilva, and he would have played badly regardless, who knows.

Good change by Holden either way. Rowe used his strength well, and he is stronger than Dasilva physically for sure.

Yep I think Dasilva is an attacking full back and best when he drive forward

Totally agree...?

SPUDSKI, normally I agree with a great deal of what you say. However, on behalf of all goats , I have to inform you that many can run extremely swiftly, up to 40mph. Our mountain brethren  are also extremely agile.

9 hours ago, spudski said:

I actually had a mad thought at the weekend that I wouldn't mind seeing him play CM. He's so tidy on the ball and his ability to retain possession in tight spaces is as good as I've seen from any City player in recent years. 

8 minutes ago, Coppello said:

I actually had a mad thought at the weekend that I wouldn't mind seeing him play CM. He's so tidy on the ball and his ability to retain possession in tight spaces is as good as I've seen from any City player in recent years. 

I'm going to have to give that some thought. Not sure he has the engine for that position.

Archived