IGNORED

Now go get that quicksilver striker in the January window

where's the joy

Ok i admit i was wrong, didn't think that promoting Holden was the right call, couldn't see us improving on the streaks of previous seasons.

But fair play as i cannot praise the coaching staff enough for finding the right positions for key players.

At last COD is tearing up a midfield role, Nagj looks so much better further forward and Bakinson looks so silky.

We are getting results and showing some nouse when it comes to closing games out.

We are not playing well for very long in games but we can string moves together and do just enough to shade a game; 

This is remarkable given the amount of talent on the injury list

and to get the results that we have without half of what should be the first 11 names on the team sheet shows real application.

But what i hope Father Christmas will bring is a live wire striker with a selfish eye for goal to enable us to make the very most of this season.

If we are still in the top 6 at the end of December then i hope Holden gets the backing he is earning.

Oh and by the way how fast is Zac Vyner becoming the main man; growing into a real asset. COYR 

21 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Also, we should recall Watkins and Adelakun if we can, because if we're playing this 4-3-3 we need spares for the wide forward position.

We definitely need a wide forward, ideally someone who can play on the right of the three to allow Semenyo to play on the left. I was impressed by Osayi-Samuel again last night, Jed Wallace would suit, or a loan move for Arsenal’s Floarin Balogun would be ideal. I’m sure @Davefevsknows a few other names to throw into the hat for this role. 

Sorta reminds me of that 17/18 season where we were 2nd (Or 3rd?) at Xmas. With hindsight it's a lot easier to say this but I felt then we should've jumped into our pockets in the January window to solidify our play off chances and keep the momentum. We did get the odd player that window but they felt rather underwhelming and we fell flat with injuries, performances, teams around us strengthening.  Whether the finances were avalible or not I don't know. I remember even an ex player coming on the forum discussing the same, he was puzzled why SL/LJ weren't splashing the cash considering our league postion. Perhaps they didn't think it was needed. 

Last January we got Nahki Wells which was great and he wasn't cheap. It's certainly possible to bring these players in when our league position is looking good. 

28 minutes ago, tin said:

We definitely need a wide forward, ideally someone who can play on the right of the three to allow Semenyo to play on the left. I was impressed by Osayi-Samuel again last night, Jed Wallace would suit, or a loan move for Arsenal’s Floarin Balogun would be ideal. I’m sure @Davefevsknows a few other names to throw into the hat for this role. 

I know zilch about Balogun, and Wallace is gonna be way too pricey (imho) for this climate.

1 hour ago, tin said:

Whenever I've watched him I've thought Onyedinma at Wycombe could be an interesting one, however perhaps I've just happened to watch good performances, not watched him enough overall.

5 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Whenever I've watched him I've thought Onyedinma at Wycombe could be an interesting one, however perhaps I've just happened to watch good performances, not watched him enough overall.

We were linked with him a while back from memory.

We've got some decent strikers in the U23s and on loan. I know we're still sort of blooding Semenyo* but is there any scope for any of Bell, Britton, Janneh or maybe even Pearson to get a promotion to the first team squad?

*and perhaps we're stung from when we brought him back in January

2 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Yes a more needed player definitely. But then could that not of been Palmer? And what will Williams and Walsh bring that to the team in the creative area. Should they ever get fit 

Always been a fan of Palmer but when two managers both don't think much of him you have to wonder whether he may have been the problem and not their choices.

2 minutes ago, RonWalker said:

Always been a fan of Palmer but when two managers both don't think much of him you have to wonder whether he may have been the problem and not their choices.

Pretty confident that LJ wanted Palmer....if you’re suggesting it was an MA signing.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Pretty confident that LJ wanted Palmer....if you’re suggesting it was an MA signing.

No not that, but it wasn't long before LJ would rather pick anyone over him and now Holden's let him leave... There's just plenty we don't see behind the scenes, said without any knowledge beyond what we all have seen.

3 minutes ago, RonWalker said:

No not that, but it wasn't long before LJ would rather pick anyone over him and now Holden's let him leave... There's just plenty we don't see behind the scenes, said without any knowledge beyond what we all have seen.

Bonkers imho that he barely played in 18/19 on loan, LJ signed him, played him a bit then froze him out last season.

Wish LJ had spent 9000 hours interrogating him before signing him!

Personally think he’s a talented boy, but I think it’s him that’s gonna have to adjust, because I think no manager will build a side around him.

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bonkers imho that he barely played in 18/19 on loan, LJ signed him, played him a bit then froze him out last season.

Wish LJ had spent 9000 hours interrogating him before signing him!

Personally think he’s a talented boy, but I think it’s him that’s gonna have to adjust, because I think no manager will build a side around him.

Yes total agreement there Dave

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I know zilch about Balogun, and Wallace is gonna be way too pricey (imho) for this climate.

I was thinking you might be aware of other suitable players who can play across the front three. 

The virus has probably pushed Wallace’s price down, and I’m not sure he fits the club’s profile in terms of increasing his future value.

Look into Balogun if you get a chance. He can play across the front three, has been scoring in the Europa League and Brentford reportedly placed a £5m bid for him in the summer before going for Toney. I trust their scouting network more than our own. I reckon we might be able to get him loan until the end of the season. 

Archived