IGNORED

Avonmouth explosion

phantom

• Admin

Details not fully known yet, but reports of a big explosion at a warehouse

Fire service have confirmed there are caualties

South Western Ambulance Service issued a statement saying they are responding to a serious incident at premises on King’s Weston Lane, Avonmouth, Bristol. We have attended with multiple resources alongside fire service and police personnel.

For more information, please contact police quoting log 299.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The fire service has issued a statement about this: "We have been called to a large explosion at 11:22 in a warehouse in Avonmouth.

"Crews from Avonmouth, Southmead, Yate, Patchway, Kingswood and Temple are currently attending.

"We are joined by Avon and Somerset Police and Ambulance on site.

"The incident is ongoing."

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

South Western Ambulance Service issued a statement saying they are responding to a serious incident at premises on King’s Weston Lane, Avonmouth, Bristol. We have attended with multiple resources alongside fire service and police personnel.

The fire service has issued a statement about this: "We have been called to a large explosion at 11:22 in a warehouse in Avonmouth.

"Crews from Avonmouth, Southmead, Yate, Patchway, Kingswood and Temple are currently attending.

Just been mentioned on news on Radio 2. No info yet though?

9 minutes ago, phantom said:

Here's hoping no one is seriously injured.

• Admin

I'm not honestly sure what I am looking at here, but this is described as where the incident occured

0_EL_GLO031220AvonmouthExplosion07.jpg

The fire service has released another update.

A spokeswoman said there have been multiple casualties in the explosion, but that outcome is unknown at present.

The fire service have just said - there have been casualties, but didn't give any more information.

• Admin
40 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

BBC News reporting it as site owned by Bristol Waste...?

7 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I read that as their site was closed as it`s close to the incident.

ITV West just reported it isn't their premises but adjacent to it

They are reporting one fatality and one person missing, but waiting for official confirmation

• Admin

"Multiple casualties" have been reported after a large explosion at a waste water treatment works.

Firefighters were called to Kings Weston Lane in Avonmouth, an industrial area near Bristol, at about 11:20 GMT.

Police and paramedics are at the scene. South Western Ambulance Service said it was responding to a "serious incident".

A witness reported hearing a "very loud explosion" that "shook buildings", and another said they saw "around 10 ambulances driving to the scene".

Avon Fire and Rescue Service said there were "multiple casualties", although it could not say exactly how many.

Witness Jawad Burhan, who took a photo appearing to show a tank that had exploded, said there was a "helicopter looking for missing people".

"I heard the sound, I'm working beside the building in another warehouse.

"After ten minutes I saw the helicopter coming and the police," he added.

Bristol Waste, which run the nearby Avonmouth recycling centre, tweeted it had closed the site temporarily.

Map of the location of the explosion

At the scene: Jon Kay, BBC reporter

Roads to the area have been blocked off and there are lots of firefighters going on to the site wearing special equipment.

There are also blue police lights flashing and a number of ambulances waiting as the site is searched.

There is a tall metal vertical tank which appears to have been ripped open somehow.

But there is no smoke or anything else still in the air. It's just the remains of the tanker.

TAKEN FROM: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-55173667

• Admin

Avon and Somerset police said the large explosion in Avonmouth is believed to involve a chemical tank at Wessex Water’s Bristol water recycling centre.

A spokesman said: “An explosion is believed to have occurred involving one of the chemical tanks at Wessex Water’s Bristol water recycling centre.

“A rescue operation was subsequently led by the fire service, involving five appliances and two turntable crews and we can confirm there have been a number of casualties.

“A full investigation into the incident will be conducted.”

image.png

4 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Especially needing a helicopter to do so. Read about one fatality but fear there will be more.

Quite possible workers were on top or up near the top investigating alarms when it went pop then. Not good.

My bro in law and his son were working on the conveyor belt with 3 others at the top of the tank. Not good. My nephew is OK we've just been in touch with his brother who is with him and the police.. Can't say about the other four at this time but not good. 

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

My bro in law and his son were working on the conveyor belt with 3 others at the top of the tank. Not good. My nephew is OK we've just been in touch with his brother who is with him and the police.. Can't say about the other four at this time but not good. 

Hope everything is okay.

• Admin

Fire service live on Sky just confirmed Four have been killed, one other casualty who doesn't have life threatening injuries. 

Of those that have passed away, three were employees of Wessex water, the other was a contractor 

Hate to say the stories of what the emergency services found sounds horrific.

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

My dad works in that building. He was off today. 

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Fingers crossed 

5 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Fingers crossed 

Just got back home from relatives house and watched the press conference.

Surreal.

The contractor who died was my bro-in-law Mike, his son Dominic (my nephew) survived without a scratch on him and had to identify his dad. Mike was 65, he shouldn't have been there really.

Unfortunately the other three also perished and our thoughts are also with them. 

So sad and so sudden

Archived