IGNORED

Zach Clough?

REDOXO

I was chatting to my mate, a Shrewsbury supporter, and got into the whole thing with SC (blessings be upon him) and AW at City and the above name came up.

I went on Wiki and it doesn’t appear ZC even has a club. Anyone know anything about his current whereabouts? Is his dad still controlling his career or was Rochdale the end of the line?

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Not played a competitive game since April 2019 (when he was on loan at Rochdale) and still at Forest but not listed among the first team. Just languishing in contract-running-down limbo it would seem. 

He got a 4 and a half year deal when he went there.

Nice job for some.

8 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Wiki says he's at Forest

Yeh wiki does say forest. An attacking midfielder and if you look into his profile further he’s classed as an attacking second striker what ever that means. It also looks like he came up from his earlier years at Bolton and has some history of shoulder injuries.

One of several told pre season by the then Forest manager that they would not feature & so not allocated a squad number.

His career has completely gone down the toilet since the time he turned us down..

Still only 25, it looks like he’ll end up League Two/ non league in the near future.

21 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I must admit I've always found it a bit strange how our fanbase were so infuriated by the actions of a (then) 20/21 year old. He, guided by his father, made a career choice that seemingly hasn't worked out for him. So what. 

I think some were upset over the manner of it, wasn't there an interview where he stated him and his dad laughed at us? At the time we weren't in the most rosiest of positions but can still understand why it would ruffle a few feathers. It's a simple case of being bitter. If he can laugh at us, we can laugh at him. 

20 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I must admit I've always found it a bit strange how our fanbase were so infuriated by the actions of a (then) 20/21 year old. He, guided by his father, made a career choice that seemingly hasn't worked out for him. So what. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/zach-clough-forest-bristol-city-1958089.amp

Wouldn't say anyone was infuriated, just a bit of fun due to how it came out in the media and his subsequent career path 

19 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Exactly. His reputation was probably boosted by his surname too, and that may have helped with his dream move to a bigger club. His father may have upset City fans, but I don’t see how he’s to blame for the lad not making the grade. Schadenfreude will out though.

20 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

No issue with him turning us down whatsoever.

Thought it was a bit shit that he told the papers that he phoned his dad when we made an approach and was met by laughing from him and told “not a chance”. Didn’t really need that at the time tbh.

So **** em both

7 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I think some were upset over the manner of it, wasn't there an interview where he stated him and his dad laughed at us? At the time we weren't in the most rosiest of positions but can still understand why it would ruffle a few feathers. It's a simple case of being bitter. If he can laugh at us, we can laugh at him. 

5 minutes ago, !james said:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/zach-clough-forest-bristol-city-1958089.amp

Wouldn't say anyone was infuriated, just a bit of fun due to how it came out in the media and his subsequent career path 

Just now, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

No issue with him turning us down whatsoever.

Thought it was a bit shit that he told the papers that he phoned his dad when we made an approach and was met by laughing from him and told “not a chance”. Didn’t really need that at the time tbh.

So **** em both

Of course - the way he and his dad did it was unprofessional and burnt bridges. It happens though, he's a young footballer (not the brightest) guided by his dad who no doubt thinks he's better than Bristol City.

There are ways to do it more professionally that don't burn bridges - but it happened, it happened many years ago and I'm always surprised that he gets bought up.

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Of course - the way he and his dad did it was unprofessional and burnt bridges. It happens though, he's a young footballer (not the brightest) guided by his dad who no doubt thinks he's better than Bristol City.

There are ways to do it more professionally that don't burn bridges - but it happened, it happened many years ago and I'm always surprised that he gets bought up.

Considering how close it was to Cotts leaving it’s not surprising that it gets mentioned from time to time when his time at City (more specifically the end of his time at City) is mentioned. I don’t think anyone is obsessed over the affair but I will admit that seeing where his career has gone since his dad decided we were beneath his talents makes me laugh.

Just had a look at his Dad’s Twitter, there’s a tweet from the 24th of October, someone’s asked him if Zac had spoken to Chris Hughton about his future, he says that the owners control the club, but it won’t be long until his contract runs down. Also says that the story isn’t over yet!

I can’t imagine he’ll have a string of decent clubs after him when he’s a free agent. I expect he’ll go back to Bolton. One thing I’m certain of, the Bristol City of 2020 is a much more serious proposition to one of 2016.

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I must admit I've always found it a bit strange how our fanbase were so infuriated by the actions of a (then) 20/21 year old and still talk about it years later. He, guided by his father, made a career choice that seemingly hasn't worked out for him. So what. 

Good job he made that choice as well. Saved us wasting a packet!

15 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Not played a competitive game since April 2019 (when he was on loan at Rochdale) and still at Forest but not listed among the first team. Just languishing in contract-running-down limbo it would seem. 

Thanks Robbo. What I was looking for.

I thought he had nice touch and decent vision but was a bit lightweight and didn’t have the ‘low’ centre of balance.

As for what the majority people at this club think about him and his dad, I reckon a ground full of people singing 6 NIL and you’re on the bench tells its own story.

I wonder if “Shrewsbury” might be interested, it seems he might be out of contract soon! You heard it here first :laugh:!

Archived