IGNORED

Sexy City ?

Major Isewater

Since I have been supporting this club , over fifty years now , we have been overlooked by the media, dismissed by the football family as also rans and often been the home for players who aren’t terribly ambitious and looking to have a ‘ quiet’ life, has that changed ?

I believe that we are becoming recognised as a serious club now with ambition.

Thanks to Uncle Steve and his investment we have a ground to be proud of, a good media profile and are finally bringing in players who are hungry for success. 

The stage is set for a step up to the top level.

Are we ‘ Sexy’  City ?  What has been the catalyst for the change ? 

43 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Since I have been supporting this club , over fifty years now , we have been overlooked by the media, dismissed by the football family as also rans and often been the home for players who aren’t terribly ambitious and looking to have a ‘ quiet’ life, has that changed ?

Thanks to Uncle Steve and his investment we have a ground to be proud of, a good media profile and are finally bringing in players who are hungry for success. 

We have always been decades behind the rest in terms of infrastructure, training on school field pitches or in the park instead of a designated training centre which has it all & our geographical positioning has never helped either, being considered in the middle of nowhere (I’ve met people in the last 20 years that had no idea where Bristol is on a map!).

As a result we’ve probably paid a little more in terms of wages & for the calibre of player that we’ve been able to attract (predominantly players coming to the end of their careers during the 80’s & 90’s).

But maybe this isn’t all down to the football club, apart from the scenery of the location, Bristol had little to offer compared to other big cities to attract anyone in from the outside & that has changed a little now & could get better with a little more investment.

I think though, our run to the semi-finals & beating Utd in the quarter-finals may of made people notice us a little more (there was a clip of a podcast on the forum the other day (Luke Steele’s interview))& even one of those interviewing thought he may of watched us on Sky beating Utd (we made that much of an impression) that he couldn’t be sure, whereas no City fan will ever forget it!! And now the training facilities are about to catch-up & maybe even overtake some in the footballing pyramid, it could help attract a better quality of player as we will no longer be seen as a lower league club with lower league facilities & you are right, it is in a large part thanks to SL but some credit also has to go to LJ because it was him that wanted this facility put in place along with other things that have advanced us into the now rather than being decades behind.

We won't exist in many peoples eyes until we have been in the Premier league. 

Mind you, I couldn't give a toss about those type of people paying us any attention.

I think the big change in profile came with the redevelopment of Ashton Gate, which now gets complimented from most angles and makes us a whole lot more attractive. 

I also think that SL's patient & supportive approach is respected throughout the game, rather than the hire 'em & fire"em policy that many adopt. 

Top flight football is overdue and we all want to achieve it ASAP. Once it's achieved though, I fear we may get frustrated and it will lose its appeal if we were to last there beyond a couple of seasons. 

I really want to get there, but I'm not looking forward to being there, if that makes sense. Bar a few good days out at grounds we've not been to for too long, there's really not much about the Premier League that I prefer over being in the Championship. 

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

I really want to get there, but I'm not looking forward to being there, if that makes sense. Bar a few good days out at grounds we've not been to for too long, there's really not much about the Premier League that I prefer over being in the Championship. 

I think we’ll be a Norwich/Burnley/WBA type club once we actually get there, we’ll budget for relegation back down but in the knowledge that we’ll have a better squad than last time we were in the Championship & a few more additions will make us a little stronger again & we’ll go to bounce back up again & this could happen a few times until eventually we have a strong enough squad to avoid relegation. What I don’t see us doing is a Fulham & throwing £100m+ at transfers & then the higher wages to sign players that most of us have never heard of & we are stuck with on those large contracts while in the Championship. SL isn’t that naive. So it will likely take us another decade before we are considered a Premier League club rather than a yo-yo club. Under SL we have more or less always done things right! 
That may not be the way some fans see it as they’d rather he threw his billions at it & risk it all but for me, he’s done it right & now he’s getting the infrastructure in place, he’s on the right lines even more.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Not sexy major just getting better, i have that good feeling back from the 70s when we were pushing for promotion to the first division. We are a serious club this season and have the stadium to match. I just only hope DH has the ability to connect all the jig saw pieces together. 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

This post has come up at the start of the last 3 seasons 

11 minutes ago, Banned User said:

It'll take 10+ years of top level football to be considered a half decent team. Stoke etc have been up there for a while and are already considered 'not big' again.

Just a few years in the top flight brings the city of bristol together like it did in the 70s. In regards to stoke my opinion on them is that they are still “big” just like Watford. Try telling the stoke and the Watford supporters otherwise 

4 minutes ago, Bristolisredd said:

This post has come up at the start of the last 3 seasons 

Well go and support the gas then 

6 minutes ago, City oz said:

Just a few years in the top flight brings the city of bristol together like it did in the 70s. In regards to stoke my opinion on them is that they are still “big” just like Watford. Try telling the stoke and the Watford supporters otherwise 

Well go and support the gas then 

What ? I’m literally just saying every year a post comes up saying we are more attractive and we see signing the players right for promotion ... and we haven’t gone up ... that’s all chill your beans 

8 minutes ago, Bristolisredd said:

What ? I’m literally just saying every year a post comes up saying we are more attractive and we see signing the players right for promotion ... and we haven’t gone up ... that’s all chill your beans 

Point taken, probably a bit harsh on my gas comment. Trying to get the point across though this season seems to have the potential for some thing special and more positive comments I think would be beneficial rather than the negative ones on the forum.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Maybe the rise in media profile was in part down to a certain ex coach who quite liked the limelight, had all the talk and Sky liked him saying it?

Just saying....?

TBF the Championship only exists in as much as it's where teams relegated from the Wonderous, Glorious all powerful Premier League go, until they are back in the Promised Land.  The one's , like us who have never been there, or those who have fallen on hard times for a period like Cov & Sun'land, just don't register on their Radar.

People read into things like this far too much, it doesn't really mean anything.

Any club can have a good patch - look at Bournemouth or Burnley. Not particularly 'sexy' clubs, but a good managerial appointment, a few players coming into form at the right time and usually financial backing can often equate success.

Arguably our catalyst for change, if we look at it like that, was relegation in 2013. We reset, reevaluated how we operated as a club and came back far stronger. I don't think we anticipated promotion so quickly though. 

It’s not just the football that’s being overlooked by everybody else, it’s the City itself. We’re 20 years behind the other major cities. 

The City centre is so dated compared to others.

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

It’s not just the football that’s being overlooked by everybody else, it’s the City itself. We’re 20 years behind the other major cities. 

I think that is probably true, especially before cabot circus. Public transport links are good now with the new faster Metro buses. I think the city needs a much faster link from Filton/Aztec West to the centre. Such a shame that the logistics of creating some sort of underground rail network or tram make it fairly unrealistic.

You go to cities like Nottingham or even Cardiff, getting around is so much easier. Nottingham has excellent public transport for example. I think that's partly because Bristol is so spread out - those two cities are pretty compact. 

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

When we were all walking up Wembley way prior to the play off final, I suspect that all City fans were genuinely excited at the thought of getting to and playing in  the premier league. In the decade since, I sense that there has been a bit of a sea change, and that many fans now feel much as do you.

For fans of clubs like ours, perhaps it is now increasingly the case that the getting there is much more exciting and enjoyable than would actually being there.

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

We won't exist in many peoples eyes until we have been in the Premier league. 

Absolutely right.

Bristol as a City has been seen as a football backwater in the eyes of many including many players - including Ian Wright who was invited by LJ to the club after he’d advised NKetiah not to join us. Wright certainly left AG with a different view on our club.

I see City as comparable to Burnley who went up to the PL then down and straight back up again under Dyche and are now an established PL club. Hopefully Deano can mirror Dyche’s achievements and have a pub named a after him....................:rofl2br:.

10 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

People read into things like this far too much, it doesn't really mean anything.

Any club can have a good patch - look at Bournemouth or Burnley. Not particularly 'sexy' clubs, but a good managerial appointment, a few players coming into form at the right time and usually financial backing can often equate success.

Arguably our catalyst for change, if we look at it like that, was relegation in 2013. We reset, reevaluated how we operated as a club and came back far stronger. I don't think we anticipated promotion so quickly though. 

Agreed. The relegation in 2013 was the best thing to happen to the club in hindsight. SOD was the man to start the reset and as much as many people probably wont give him the recognition he deserves without him Cotts and then Johnson Jnr wouldn’t have had the platform to build the club up to what it is today IMO.

We are easily in the best shape as a club that i have ever witnessed in my time following City. The stadium and the training facilities can match any club at this level and some in the Prem aswell..when as a club can we say we have been in that position? 

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

When we were all walking up Wembley way prior to the play off final, I suspect that all City fans were genuinely excited at the thought of getting to and playing in  the premier league. In the decade since, I sense that there has been a bit of a sea change, and that many fans now feel much as do you.

For fans of clubs like ours, perhaps it is now increasingly the case that the getting there is much more exciting and enjoyable than would actually being there.

For me, it’s more about the finances it would create for the club & how that would benefit the club moving forward. Being able to improve everything throughout the club without having to worry about fines or points deductions while starting to be able to compete on a more even keel. Not necessarily with the elite clubs but with the mid to lower Premier League clubs & then who knows? Leicester managed it.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Absolutely right.

Bristol as a City has been seen as a football backwater in the eyes of many including many players - including Ian Wright who was invited by LJ to the club after he’d advised NKetiah not to join us. Wright certainly left AG with a different view on our club.

I see City as comparable to Burnley who went up to the PL then down and straight back up again under Dyche and are now an established PL club. Hopefully Deano can mirror Dyche’s achievements and have a pub named a after him....................:rofl2br:.

Sorry totally disagree. We had great years in the first division 3 or 4 from memory and I attended every home game and lots away.

DH may have a pub named after him in respect to taking Bristol city Football Club to promotion. Lets be positive and not negative.

”back water “ what a joke i hope you are wearing a city shirt tomorrow and not a Birmingham one 

6 minutes ago, bris red said:

Agreed. The relegation in 2013 was the best thing to happen to the club in hindsight. SOD was the man to start the reset and as much as many people probably wont give him the recognition he deserves without him Cotts and then Johnson Jnr wouldn’t have had the platform to build the club up to what it is today IMO.

We are easily in the best shape as a club that i have ever witnessed in my time following City. The stadium and the training facilities can match any club at this level and some in the Prem aswell..when as a club can we say we have been in that position? 

Agreed. SO'D did lots of the ugly work that needed to be done. He was probably very difficult behind the scenes and told people lots of things they didn't want to hear. He was exactly right though, as a club we were rotten in every aspect and on a downward spiral.

Not the man to inspire a resurgence, but was necessary to get the ball rolling. He also signed lots of very important players. Pound for pound, far more than Johnson did. 

13 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Agree about the infrastructure but Bristol is  seen as a diverse and vibrant and one of the best places to live in the UK, it also regularly attracts international recognition, so far from being a backwater it should be a positive for future recruitment

I’m sure some will see the progress as glacial, but I think most EFL fans will now see us as a club they expect to see in the top third of the Championship, rather than the top third of League One. That in itself is something we could only have dreamed of a few years ago.

In the meantime, admittedly, numerous clubs have shot past us. However, while some have really prospered - eg Wolves - others are now back below us - eg Huddersfield and Cardiff. Even Sheff Utd and Burnley are now looking rather sickly.  IF we ever get to the EPL, consolidation in a sensible way will be crucial. 

Archived