IGNORED

Soren Andersen goal away at Sunderland

NB111

4 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Watched in the SoL sat amongst the Sunderland supporters with a season ticket holding mate of mine. I didn’t dare cheer our goal until I was in the car afterwards. 

Same here but I did celebrate. To the tune of "sit down ya *****"  

One lad clocked me in a pub back in Shields later on, bought me a pint said it was good crack and I was lucky not to get thrown out. I did notice the stewards pointing up in my direction. A sweet if somewhat  short celebration. 

Was at this one! It was a great away day though. One of those where the fans were all just making the best of it. They were walking the league that season and were all over us the whole game and we were singing - "we're in your half again, we're in you half again!" + "1-0! You're only winning 1-0!" went mental when we scored.

Watched a fair chunk of this game last night:

A few things stood out, Tins had a really poor game, very unusual by his standards. Dyche was even worse than I remembered, he basically hoofed the ball anywhere every time he got it, Watts was no better, either.

Greg Goodridge appeared to be wearing a shirt that would have fitted Beadle when he came on, WTF was that all about? Looked like a ******* tent.

Aside from the obvious (Welch brilliant, Andersen’s finish was class) our standout performers were Adam Locke (very underrated RB) & Matt Hewlett.

Also, weird seeing a game where Tommy Doc was still running into the last few minutes..

12 hours ago, GrahamC said:

He got 11, 10 of them in the league.

Him & Akinbiyi could have been a pretty decent partnership but we bought Thorpe as well, which overcomplicated things.

Obviously should have spent that money on a defender, not relied on Julian Watts on a free..

I have long banged on about this. Such a mess, though not entirely our own fault thanks to Aalborg wanting stupid money for Andersen at the start of the off-season then accepting far less towards the end, when really we had made our bed with the Thorpe signing. Thorpe barely played that year. Torpey spent more time on the pitch IIRC.

15 minutes ago, awbb said:

I have long banged on about this. Such a mess, though not entirely our own fault thanks to Aalborg wanting stupid money for Andersen at the start of the off-season then accepting far less towards the end, when really we had made our bed with the Thorpe signing. Thorpe barely played that year. Torpey spent more time on the pitch IIRC.

Yep.

I have always that Thorpe in terms of the money spent was one of the worst signings we made, though Pulis then went on to make several that were worse.

Thorpe cost £1m, scored 2 goals at Championship level for us, then played 3 seasons in L1 during which we never got promoted & he then left for nothing.

Some on here seem to think getting goals against Colchester & Stockport was some sort of achievement but he usually went missing in the big games, even in League One.

If we had spent that money on a decent CB or even central midfielder (Ward brought in Carl Hutchings, FFS) then we might have made a better fist of it, Testimitanu was very unlucky with injuries but if we had brought him in pre season it could have helped.

7 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Bradford city away, quarter finals, keith waugh, best goalie performance ever.

I was there, and After Walsh's early goal, I remember it as being pretty comfortable, don't remember being under any excessive pressure?  But I had been in the pub prior to the game, so i could be wrong?

16 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I was there, and After Walsh's early goal, I remember it as being pretty comfortable, don't remember being under any excessive pressure?  But I had been in the pub prior to the game, so i could be wrong?

We came under a fair bit of pressure as they lumped plenty of ball to 6’5”  Ian Ormondroyd if you recall 

Joe Jordan was magnificent in that game 

They were one of the few to have a digital scoreboard and I always wonder how many times I glanced at the red neon digital clock to see how long gone / left !

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Yep.

I have always that Thorpe in terms of the money spent was one of the worst signings we made, though Pulis then went on to make several that were worse.

Thorpe cost £1m, scored 2 goals at Championship level for us, then played 3 seasons in L1 during which we never got promoted & he then left for nothing.

Some on here seem to think getting goals against Colchester & Stockport was some sort of achievement but he usually went missing in the big games, even in League One.

If we had spent that money on a decent CB or even central midfielder (Ward brought in Carl Hutchings, FFS) then we might have made a better fist of it, Testimitanu was very unlucky with injuries but if we had brought him in pre season it could have helped.

Yeah, because like Pitman you buy a quality 'box striker' and then proceed to play him out wide else isolated upfront on his own with absolutely ZERO service.....

And despite the above the stats bear you out - with us he only notched 51 times in 128 appearances. - Jeez compared to what we've had since that's woeful.....

17 hours ago, Chessels Chick said:

That was actually me!!! And I was celebrating our win ?when fell down hole!! A few of us stayed overnight and couldn't stop laughing about it in the curry house later ??

(It was dark and I was wearing a hat so will let you off thinking I was a he ?)

That is hilarious. We thought you were giving abuse. Glad you weren't injured. It was dark so apologies for calling you "he".

7 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Yeah, because like Pitman you buy a quality 'box striker' and then proceed to play him out wide else isolated upfront on his own with absolutely ZERO service.....

And despite the above the stats bear you out - with us he only notched 51 times in 128 appearances. - Jeez compared to what we've had since that's woeful.....

In League One, look at his career, that is where he spent nearly all of it.

20 hours ago, tin said:

Keith Welch was in unbelievable form that night. Stopped everything Phillips and Quinn threw at us. I still can’t believe we mugged a point that night. Quite similar to how we’re mugging points now actually ?

Dan Bentley at Forest ‘20?

Archived