IGNORED

Bristol City v Birmingham City Match Day 16

All so predictable and clearly nothing has changed from the past three seasons.

Our 20 year old is being flogged and who starts Mariappa (a CB) and Rowe over Hunt and Dasilva in a game where the onus is on us to attack?

All very well getting teams on the counter and then sitting back to scrape the away wins but jeees we are still terrible at home

1 minute ago, intercity said:

First half good. O'Dowda, Kalas, Nagy played well, we had good shape and passing. Birmingham totally innocuous.

Second half very poor. O'Dowda disappeared, we couldn't get hold of the ball, couldn't pass and we were totally inoccuous.

Bristol City ladies and gentlemen. Go figure.

because Holden in his wisdom moved COD wide left! Leaving Nagy to have to babysit Brunt who is too slow to be left in CM in his own,

3 minutes ago, intercity said:

First half good. O'Dowda, Kalas, Nagy played well, we had good shape and passing. Birmingham totally innocuous.

Second half very poor. O'Dowda disappeared, we couldn't get hold of the ball, couldn't pass and we were totally inoccuous.

Bristol City ladies and gentlemen. Go figure.

We were innocuous apparently.

I was sooooo bored - whenever we get the ball the first thing we seem to think is 'lets not lose the ball' - which almost always means passing it back or sideways - I seem to remember another manager who used to make us play like that.

What we need to see - is 'tryiing' to find the space and chance by playing a ball forward into a small space, with pace - which hopefully sometimes will get through.

We optimised our play when late in the second half had a free kick on the left hand side - and instead of swinging in a potentially dangerous cross played the ball backwards, then across the pitch - tried to take it up the right hand side and guess what - lost the ball.  Just much too wasteful!

Just now, BanburyRed said:

Just want Dean to come out and say it was crap, he got it wrong and it'll be right for the next game. Don't dress it up.

His usual phrase is "not up to the standard we expect". I'm not sure why since that was fairly typical of our home performances for some time so it's exactly the standard we expect.

To my mind didn’t keep hold of the ball enough in the 2nd half, you could see a solid if not spectacular Brum getting something from a set piece. Not enough creativity from midfield, Nagy was doing well in the 1st half, but moving him back when brunt came off limited his forays forward. 

fustrating as they are almost there as a very good championship team...

1 minute ago, Denbury Red said:

I was sooooo bored - whenever we get the ball the first thing we seem to think is 'lets not lose the ball' - which almost always means passing it back or sideways - I seem to remember another manager who used to make us play like that.

What we need to see - is 'tryiing' to find the space and chance by playing a ball forward into a small space, with pace - which hopefully sometimes will get through.

We optimised our play when late in the second half had a free kick on the left hand side - and instead of swinging in a potentially dangerous cross played the ball backwards, then across the pitch - tried to take it up the right hand side and guess what - lost the ball.  Just much too wasteful!

We regularly do that from around the halfway line . It makes me mad.

Typical Johnson home performance.

Holden may have changed some things, but that was just the same old, same old .
We don't hold the ball well, we don't pass the ball well, our movement isn't great and we can't keep it long enough to dominate at home. That's fine away, but stick us against a solid team with limited ambition and we struggle. 

Apart from 20 minutes first half and a short spell 2nd , Brum passed around us and let's be honest deserved the goal. Kalas man of the match for us , says a lot, Bentley 2 good saves and they hit the post. Us? we went close a couple of times. Nagy worked wonders trying to cover mistakes, but he's not able to go on for ever. We need the midfielders fit to try and get more players on the pitch that don't stand still or treat the ball like a hot potato . 

3 minutes ago, Banjo Red said:

Results are a lottery at the moment no consistency don't think he knows his best 11 yet too many old legs today.

That was always Johnson's main weakness. I had hoped things had changed. But we have worrying parallels to what went on when he was the number 2 under Johnson.

Yep  A very poor showing.  Did we have a REAL shot on goal in the whole game ?

Huffed and puffed.... few half chances.

Got fed up hearing tin man tell me on robins TV the obvious 'we just need that bit of quality in final third.... ' fact is our midfield is woeful...was woeful, gives the likes of martin & wells nothing. 

So much need that real spark in the midfield... cue the saviours Walsh and Williams sometime in the future...

1 minute ago, forbespm said:

Wish we would just attack and go for it.why do we play so negatively.thought Holden was going to be brave in this respect

He said we were going to be aggressive and attack teams. At the very least that was a hostage to fortune.

Best not promise something you either can't deliver or actually have no intention of delivering. If you raise expectations don't be surprised if people feel let down.

We are still missing some quality in the final third. 

Defence was generally good .

Brum defended well in fairness to them. 

Brunt delivered some good balls today.

Kalas was brilliant.

First half COD very good.

Didn’t deserve to lose but that’s the division we’re in. If you are not clinical then you risk getting done.

Nice to see Bakinson back. 

Well done Sam Bell on your debut.

Archived