IGNORED

Bristol City v Birmingham City Match Day 16

We aren't good enough to be a consistent top 6 side. 

Holden this far hasn't been the disaster I feared he might, but, to my mind, he hasn't looked like the fresh ideas man who can take us further than Johnson did.

I guess what he does in January and if we ever see any of the sick list back will decide our season.  

They were worst side I’ve seen all season yet won 1-0. We barely tested their keeper. We have lots of players out - so overall we have done well to get where we are but that was so poor today.

We have got lucky a few times with the results against derby etc but I think people at the time we would carry on winning lucky. It’s now stopped (except QPR) and we will fall down table unless we get players back and Holden can get us creating chances. 

Just now, Redrascal2 said:

That was always Johnson's main weakness. I had hoped things had changed. But we have worrying parallels to what went on when he was the number 2 under Johnson.

The football was exactly as under LJ. We may have changed the managers name, but nothing else has changed. 

7 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Typical Johnson home performance.

Holden may have changed some things, but that was just the same old, same old .
We don't hold the ball well, we don't pass the ball well, our movement isn't great and we can't keep it long enough to dominate at home. That's fine away, but stick us against a solid team with limited ambition and we struggle. 

Apart from 20 minutes first half and a short spell 2nd , Brum passed around us and let's be honest deserved the goal. Kalas man of the match for us , says a lot, Bentley 2 good saves and they hit the post. Us? we went close a couple of times. Nagy worked wonders trying to cover mistakes, but he's not able to go on for ever. We need the midfielders fit to try and get more players on the pitch that don't stand still or treat the ball like a hot potato . 

Genuine question....what has he changed?

How many times did we do this under Johnson? Get a superb win away then follow it up with a poor home performance and lose by the odd goal. Clearly something we can't get out of the habit of doing.

To be fair both teams were poor, we were just undone by a quality corner and header. 

Our midfield was dreadful again though creating nothing in terms of service for the front three. 

Plenty for Dean to think about there. 

Just now, marmite said:

The football was exactly as under LJ. We may have changed the managers name, but nothing else has changed. 

And has been for the vast majority of this season. The only game this season where I can recall us playing very well for 90 minutes was Stoke away, and then we’ve had a couple of good second half performances against Sheff Weds and Watford. Everything else has been identical, and even under Johnson we produced the occasional excellent performance.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Think it was a game to carry on what we were building first half, where we were growing into the ascendancy.  I don’t mind the little try of 442 at the start of second half, but needed to see that it wasn’t working and revert back.

Disappointing overall.

DISAPPOINTING the one word that sums the whole game up 

2 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Genuine question....what has he changed?

Younger players given a chance.

Prepared to make changes when necessary.

...but we’ve been unlucky with injuries (come on: Baker, Williams, Walsh, Weimann, Mawson, Sessegnon, Kalas, Paterson? - we’re struggling to fill the bench at the moment) and Covid, during a ridiculously heavy schedule.  To condemn the side after a disappointing half is unwarranted.  I’m happy with the way things are going, I just don’t expect to win every match as some appear to do.

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

...but we’ve been unlucky with injuries (come on: Baker, Williams, Walsh, Weimann, Mawson, Sessegnon, Kalas, Paterson? - we’re struggling to fill the bench at the moment) and Covid, during a ridiculously heavy schedule.  To condemn the side after a disappointing half is unwarranted.  I’m happy with the way things are going, I just don’t expect to win every match as some appear to do.

I just want to see progress . I want to see our style evolving on the pitch 

The injuries and schedule have been harsh, but it's the same for every team in the league 

That was just shite again today. We really are woeful at home. Let's hope we stay in tier 3 for a while longer....I'm much happier with the refunds rather then being sat watching the same lacklustre rubbish we've had to endure for the last 3 years

5 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Ffs no one thinks we should win every game we are sick and tired of the diabolical football being servdd up open yor  eyes its hideous man hideous

38 minutes ago, weymouth red said:

Nothing changed from Johnson’s time ☹️

37 minutes ago, 2015 said:

No change from the Johnson era i'm afraid

15 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Unfortunately the football recently has started looking like the dross served up by the previous head coach. 

It’s all very well ignoring it when you nick a win like Tuesday night, but when you lose playing football that crap there is really nothing to enjoy.

I see lots of comments re “same as under LJ”. 

Well, I for one think it’s worse. 
Was discussing with a mate before the QPR game. Last season compared to this season, after 14 games, we had the same amount of points. 
But, we drawn less, lost more, scored less goals. 
So whilst the points gained was the same, we were lower on a number of factors. 
We then looked at the last 5 games under LJ and the last 5 under DH. 
We had less average possession (by a whopping 10%), less average shots, less average shots on target, less average corners. 

So, again, whilst points gained are the same as at this stage under LJ, the components of the game are much worse and the football is hugely less engaging. 

We no longer have any game changers in the squad, now that Elliason and Palmer are no longer here.  If we want to maintain any kind Promotion threat we probably need to buy a goalscorer in January...........we are  quite a dull side to watch under Holden, mostly solid defensively, but the problem of our Home lineup and tactics needs to be addressed ASAP?

3 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

I just want to see progress . I want to see our style evolving on the pitch 

The injuries and schedule have been harsh, but it's the same for every team in the league 

That was just shite again today. We really are woeful at home. Let's hope we stay in tier 3 for a while longer....I'm much happier with the refunds rather then being sat watching the same lacklustre rubbish we've had to endure for the last 3 years

No, it’s not the same for every team in the league.  We have had more serious injuries than any other team, and you can see how those are taking their toll.  Home/Away doesn’t matter at the moment.  We are a squad doing their very best but running on empty some of the time, unsurprisingly.  To be where we are, having won 50% of our games, is pretty amazing considering our luck this season.

What might our first choice team be if everyone was available :-

Bentley

Mawson Kalas Baker

Sessegnon Williams Walsh Dasilva

Weimann

Martin Wells

I rest my case...

9 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Fair comment but does that explain the absence of the aggressive attacking football Holden told us we would play? Or was that just PR?

1 minute ago, maxjak said:

We no longer have any game changers in the squad, now that Elliason and Palmer are no longer here.  If we want to maintain any kind Promotion threat we probably need to buy a goalscorer in January...........we are  quite a dull side to watch under Holden, mostly solid defensively, but the problem of our Home lineup and tactics needs to be addressed ASAP?

Selling Eliasson is one of the worst decisions the club has made in a long time. Everyone could see we weren’t going to play 3-5-2 all season, shockingly poor management from top to bottom letting him go. I will never not be absolutely furious at that decision. 

Archived