IGNORED

Johny Galley feature in one of the football magazines

Never to the dark side

23 minutes ago, Dolman Original said:

One of our greatest signings in my humble opinion. Especially considering he was on crutches when he signed. Have met him a couple of times, lovely man, also loved his time here. 

Blimey...we were signing injured players even back then?

John was transferred to Forest in 1973 and the following day City signed Bobby Gould as "the ideal replacement" (or so we were told).

From Forest JG moved on as a centre half, not centre forward to P'boro and Hereford.

1 hour ago, 22A said:

John was transferred to Forest in 1973 and the following day City signed Bobby Gould as "the ideal replacement" (or so we were told).

From Forest JG moved on as a centre half, not centre forward to P'boro and Hereford.

It happened a lot back then when the legs couldn`t cope with playing up front any more and players hadn`t made the fortunes they do now. It was a good way of eking out another two or three years of playing.

22 hours ago, 22A said:

I can remember him playing full back for City in a few games!

On 05/12/2020 at 13:43, ashton_fan said:

Johnny Galley Galley Galley in our team, in our team!

I think you can identify the ‘older generation’ who lurk on OTIB from the responses here. ? what would a John Galley be worth in today’s game, I recall we signed him for £30k or was that the sale price, either way him and then a young chris Garland.... 

great player

On 05/12/2020 at 14:11, weepywall said:

Blimey...we were signing injured players even back then?

Was working at the Gate the week JG signed and always remember him refereeing a five a side game in the car park in his overcoat, waving a track suit top about and running up and down with his foot in a plaster cast. I thought blimey what have we signed here.

Well the hat trick on his debut a couple of days later soon cast my doubts away.

2 minutes ago, 42nite said:

Galley, Garland, Gow!!!!

?

Would  be worth several millions each, great players, great gentleman, glorious years and we all probably remember them for our own reasons. They are all part of the history of the club and will never be forgotten 

6 minutes ago, mjd said:

that was my era great times .time flys by ,,memories of that team 

My dad started taking me to Ashton gate in the late 60s i was about five years old. It was around the 2nd division days. I didn’t understand much on what was going on but I remember at junior school you were either red or blue. I stayed red and will always be red. My son is red and my sons kids in Darwin are red. 

Those years are part of my life. I also remember Chris Garland that was a very young bloke at the time and Sharpie also knocking in the goals. We then got Trevor Tainton and sir Gerry Gow coming into the picture in the early 70s. 

Then came Bobby Gould and Merrick and my favourite sticks Ritchie. Then we had Whitehead and Donny Gillies, where do we stop they are all heroes in this era.

most importantly lets not forget Norman Hunter and Joe Royle in later years that also bought great years to the club. RIP Norman

Some years ago I went to an event and was seated next too a quite elderly lady who I had never meet before. With Introductions complete she said "so what are you interests". Football I replied, "Bristol City since I was a small kid". She smiled and said "Your too young to remember him but I sold my house to a City player named John Galley. That was enough we got on like a house on fire after that. 

1 hour ago, City oz said:

My dad started taking me to Ashton gate in the late 60s i was about five years old. It was around the 2nd division days. I didn’t understand much on what was going on but I remember at junior school you were either red or blue. I stayed red and will always be red. My son is red and my sons kids in Darwin are red. 

Those years are part of my life. I also remember Chris Garland that was a very young bloke at the time and Sharpie also knocking in the goals. We then got Trevor Tainton and sir Gerry Gow coming into the picture in the early 70s. 

Then came Bobby Gould and Merrick and my favourite sticks Ritchie. Then we had Whitehead and Donny Gillies, where do we stop they are all heroes in this era.

most importantly lets not forget Norman Hunter and Joe Royle in later years that also bought great years to the club. RIP Norman

Very similar supporting timeline to me

Those days of the early mid 70s were fantastic , not only the promotion , but the League Cup run to Spurs semis in the League Cup (I remember the Leicester game like yesterday for some reason) , The FA Cup ties against Leeds and Liverpool were thrilling , breathless stuff for a young lad , and the characters , so many characters and excellent players ........the thrill of City highlights being on the odd soccer special ...... Brilliant memories , sends a shiver down the spine tbh

8 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Very similar supporting timeline to me

Those days of the early mid 70s were fantastic , not only the promotion , but the League Cup run to Spurs semis in the League Cup (I remember the Leicester game like yesterday for some reason) , The FA Cup ties against Leeds and Liverpool were thrilling , breathless stuff for a young lad , and the characters , so many characters and excellent players ........the thrill of City highlights being on the odd soccer special ...... Brilliant memories , sends a shiver down the spine tbh

Remember the ball bursting during the Leicester game when Bobby Kellard and David Nish went for the ball at exactly the same time.

On 06/12/2020 at 16:04, DT The Optimist said:

I think you can identify the ‘older generation’ who lurk on OTIB from the responses here. ? what would a John Galley be worth in today’s game, I recall we signed him for £30k or was that the sale price, either way him and then a young chris Garland.... 

great player

I think it was 25, not quite our record signing (Hughie Mac 27.5k) ti;; that was broken by Bobby Kellard for the unheard of (for us) fee of £35000. But remember, the top players were only going for the low one hundred thousands .

Archived