IGNORED

Johny Galley feature in one of the football magazines

Never to the dark side

22 hours ago, redysteadygo said:

Was working at the Gate the week JG signed and always remember him refereeing a five a side game in the car park in his overcoat, waving a track suit top about and running up and down with his foot in a plaster cast. I thought blimey what have we signed here.

Well the hat trick on his debut a couple of days later soon cast my doubts away.

How things have changed. Then it was five a side in the car park and now we have a multi million pound training ground at Failand 

9 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Don't forget Donnie!!!!

How could we. Elland Road where he made Bill Shankly apologise to the whole City team. What a day that was.

As for the Galley debut hat-trick, I was at Ashton Gate watching the Reserves. No internet, no carrier pigeons. Just three phone calls bringing the great happenings at Huddersfield to an increasingly overjoyed small crowd of City fans.

11 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I think it was 25, not quite our record signing (Hughie Mac 27.5k) ti;; that was broken by Bobby Kellard for the unheard of (for us) fee of £35000. But remember, the top players were only going for the low one hundred thousands .

Do you remember how much we sold Galley for, and why?

84 goals in 172 appearances for City, the hero of the fans, only 28 - why sell him to a club in the same division?

Presumably he was happy to move on, but again, why? You'd think he was very happy here and Forest's prospects were no better than ours at the time.

He never reached those heights afterwards - 6 goals in 37 apps. for Forest - and he moved on again fairly quickly in '74, although not clear whether Clough had taken over by then or not.

17 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Do you remember how much we sold Galley for, and why?

84 goals in 172 appearances for City, the hero of the fans, only 28 - why sell him to a club in the same division?

Presumably he was happy to move on, but again, why? You'd think he was very happy here and Forest's prospects were no better than ours at the time.

He never reached those heights afterwards - 6 goals in 37 apps. for Forest - and he moved on again fairly quickly in '74, although not clear whether Clough had taken over by then or not.

Can't remember what fee he went for. He went because he'd lost a bit of form, even dropped to the bench AND he was getting stick from some of the fans (even got a poison pen letter, I believe). He got his own back as he scored the only goal  at the City Ground when we played them, a month or so later !

6 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Can't remember what fee he went for. He went because he'd lost a bit of form, even dropped to the bench AND he was getting stick from some of the fans (even got a poison pen letter, I believe). He got his own back as he scored the only goal  at the City Ground when we played them, a month or so later !

Yep, seemed a strange move on the face of it.

The first time I went down to AG on my own (usual friends couldn't come, but I wasn't going to miss a game) at about 13 I planned to get there early to get a space on the railings directly in front of the middle of the EE.

He was certainly very popular then, my biggest memory of that game is looking behind me at all the faces belting out his 'million miles' song - and of course, joining in myself, because I felt I'd become a genuine 'East Ender' that day!

23 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

Now you say it, I do remember him having to go in goal - got a big cheer every time he touched the ball, although can’t remember the score!

2-2.                       1-0 up, 2-1 down, but a late equaliser for City brought a louder cheer than if we had won!

1 hour ago, Galley is our king said:

I remember it was rumoured that he was leaving. Next game he scored a hatrick and a  large group rocked up behind the old Williams stand chanting "Galley must stay, Galley must stay"

An absolute hero of mine, obviously.

We all love you, we all love you Galley is our King!!

I may be wrong, but I only remember him scoring two hat ricks, both away (Hudders & Wendy) Memory not what it was, who was it against ?

12 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I may be wrong, but I only remember him scoring two hat ricks, both away (Hudders & Wendy) Memory not what it was, who was it against ?

God knows, I was just a kid but I do remember standing outside the old "Grand stand" after an evening game singing away to try and keep my hero! Can't even remember if worked! ?

1 hour ago, Galley is our king said:

Brilliant, still can't confirm Charlton but I now do remember 6-0!! 

Didn't/doesn’t happen very often does it? 

No, but we did beat Fulham six love and I think it was either the season before or after, without checking. They still remain the worse team I've seen in all the years since, totally jacked it !

Archived