IGNORED

when birmingham took the east end and we got spanked on and off the pitch

where's the joy

On 07/12/2020 at 20:24, sglosbcfc said:

Talking of Birmingham, taking ends and phoney accents, I remember an occasion about 20 years back when we played Brum at St Andrews. The City end was sold out, but as I was living in Staffordshire I decided to go anyway and get a ticket in the Birmingham end. I took my seat 20 mins before kick off and within 10 mins was surrounded by at least 50 of the meanest, nastiest looking thugs you've ever seen in your lives. Constantly gesturing to the City support and talking about what they were going to do to them after the game. City took the lead early on and there was not even a flicker from me. The mob surrounding me were incandescent with rage. I've never before or since been pleased that City went onto lose, with me celebrating the Brum goals like my life depended on it (it probably did). Fortunately for me, I was never asked the time, although I was constantly rehearsing Midlands accents in my head ready for that event. I was too nervous to leave the stand early in case that drew any attention to myself, so I had the most nerve racking, unpleasant 2 hours in a football ground ever (and I include the defeat to the Gas at Trumpton in 1990). I have been in 'home' ends since when City are playing away, but every time I ensured I wasn't in ends where the rival teams mob may be.

I wonder if that was the 4-2 defeat. Not often we sell out there. Mrs refused to go in home end when we couldn’t get in the City end even though I can do a decent Brummie accent when I need to.  Maybe just as well we didn’t go in!  

21 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

That’s the game where they had a bonfire on the terrace IIRC

Lively days at the Gate and in Dolman A/B

Think 85 was the game when a Millwall fan “nearly” got run over by well known City lad and his van. Millwall were going well and the following week I think was when they rioted at Luton.
Dolman B Block seats had a major refit after Millwall game.

10 hours ago, MrBibs said:

I wonder if that was the 4-2 defeat. Not often we sell out there. Mrs refused to go in home end when we couldn’t get in the City end even though I can do a decent Brummie accent when I need to.  Maybe just as well we didn’t go in!  

Yes, I'm sure that was the final score. Parts of the ground would have been ok probably, but I couldn't have picked a worse spot as an undercover red.

Archived