IGNORED

3 in 6

Robin Wood

4 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

I don't think its the strikers actually - its the lack and chances and therefore the midfield. Paper thin. We barely create anything every game and our luck is finally running out.

We are just so bloody boring to watch no movement no midfield and everbody seems to be pinning there hopes on Walsh and Williams who probably won't play 10 games between them this season, I would hate to be a forward in our side 

I’m afraid Holden is start to look like Johnson 1.1. For me nothing much has changed, Dean promised that we would have a go at teams and playing attacking football I’m afraid that’s just not happening. I think we have goals in the team but we just start most games negatively we only go on the offence when we go a goal behind. I wasn’t overly excited about the appointment of Holden but was prepared to give him a go, however if we continue playing like this I’m not over excited about getting back down to Ashton Gate. Come on Dean give us what you said you would do, I know we can’t play attacking football game in game out but I do want some entertainment along the way. 

2 minutes ago, cheesleywalksoncider said:

I’m afraid Holden is start to look like Johnson 1.1. For me nothing much has changed, Dean promised that we would have a go at teams and playing attacking football I’m afraid that’s just not happening. I think we have goals in the team but we just start most games negatively we only go on the offence when we go a goal behind. I wasn’t overly excited about the appointment of Holden but was prepared to give him a go, however if we continue playing like this I’m not over excited about getting back down to Ashton Gate. Come on Dean give us what you said you would do, I know we can’t play attacking football game in game out but I do want some entertainment along the way. 

:laugh:

Don’t say that, you’ll have 5 pages of fans on here going nuts.

In the first half I thought we showed plenty of attacking intent. Our final ball tends to let us down. Wells, O'Dowda and Semenyo all took on shots from the edge of the box that wasted good positions. Maybe we need better decision making. 

Most of our most dangerous play comes when we beat the full back and drill the ball across the 6 yard box. We didn't do that enough today.

It just feels like we are setting out not to lose rather than going for a win. 

Brum did that today and it paid off for them. To some extent it is working away but isn't at AG. Also it is pretty dull to watch. 

Not sure if this is DH's mentality and tactics or just a pragmatic decision based on lack of creative attacking players in the squad. 

48 minutes ago, 77 punk said:

it is obvious are lack of firepower will be our downfall

It’s not a lack of firepower. We have Wells, Martin, Diédhiou and Semenyo. The problem is creating and getting players opportunities to score. No point giving the ball to Wells on the wing and expecting him to beat 3 players. We need to find a way to play to their strengths. 

6 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

It just feels like we are setting out not to lose rather than going for a win. 

Brum did that today and it paid off for them. To some extent it is working away but isn't at AG. Also it is pretty dull to watch. 

Not sure if this is DH's mentality and tactics or just a pragmatic decision based on lack of creative attacking players in the squad. 

I can’t disagree with that, there is little creativity in a very functional team. We need a spark and it is not there.

Well, having had time to reflect on today's performance and result, I find myself still angry. Very angry. In fact as angry as I've been in a long time about City matters.

Today we got the classic sucker punch home defeat from a team that try to do this week in, week out. Our failure to overcome this rouse shows a level of naivety that the teams who go on to finish promoted, will not show. 

Dean Holden and his team will have my support as long as they're here. I'm certain that they are applying themselves fully to the job.

That said, I'm not seeing the big changes, as promoted by others, that we were assured would be the result of taking this route. 

I have wondered recently if the overall plan is to grind out results in low scoring games, or something of that ilk (I'm not a qualified football coach!). However, today's showing suggests not. 

So, to save me any unnecessary further distress - what's it all about then?

Give it some thought and enlighten me if you care to.

I'm off for a lie down.

44 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

Well, having had time to reflect on today's performance and result, I find myself still angry. Very angry. In fact as angry as I've been in a long time about City matters.

Today we got the classic sucker punch home defeat from a team that try to do this week in, week out. Our failure to overcome this rouse shows a level of naivety that the teams who go on to finish promoted, will not show. 

Dean Holden and his team will have my support as long as they're here. I'm certain that they are applying themselves fully to the job.

That said, I'm not seeing the big changes, as promoted by others, that we were assured would be the result of taking this route. 

I have wondered recently if the overall plan is to grind out results in low scoring games, or something of that ilk (I'm not a qualified football coach!). However, today's showing suggests not. 

So, to save me any unnecessary further distress - what's it all about then?

Give it some thought and enlighten me if you care to.

I'm off for a lie down.

The evidence suggests grinding out results may well be the aim but somebody would need to ask Holden, which is not likely to happen.

What is certain is that we are not seeing the aggressive attacking football he promised. But again, nobody is going to ask him about that either so we can only speculate.

3 hours ago, mozo said:

Most of our most dangerous play comes when we beat the full back and drill the ball across the 6 yard box. We didn't do that enough today.

I know why it’s easy to say this, because it felt for the last 2 seasons after Bobby left, that LJ placed massive importance on crossing from wide positions. It used to infuriate me that our tactics meant we would rarely cut inside. I presumed it was because Fam was more effective attacking crosses. I suppose that’s why I wanted Kasey Palmer to play regularly and be our number 10.

I actually think we need more midfield guile and less emphasis on crossing from wide positions (unless it’s the full backs).

Apart from Pato, who is sometimes capable of threading a forward pass, who else in our squad right now can do this consistently?

I think we have been poor for the last 2 seasons apart from the occasional one off performance.

Midfield has no threat what so ever - weak and no creativity. 

I find the football being played slow and predictable. We really are a poor team going forward compared to other teams in the Championship.

Nothings changed from last two years in my opinion.

You need to create chances to score goals - we are incapable of doing that with the current midfield. Wells never seemed to have issues scoring when he was playing for QPR - He feeds off scraps for us and looks a frustrated figure out there. Given the amount of chances we create i think he has a decent scoring record this season.

Forget the defence. Forget the wingbacks. Forget the midfield. Forget the press. Forget worldie saves. Forget everything. 

Until we can competently retain possession for more than 4 passes without being rabbits in headlights, we're just flattering to deceive at best.

Our players are, frequently, little more than L2 standard at retaining possession. Without it you don't score. Without the opposition having it, they don't score. 

Archived