IGNORED

Strikers

Ivorguy

What do people think about our strikers?

When all are fit we seem to have got goalkeeper, defence, and midfield, reasonably right, with just a few tweaks required perhaps in next window.

Our strikers, however, seem to be misfiring. Why do people think is the case?

Wells came garlanded with praise but has failed to set the Avon alight.  He has, incidentally, never hit 20 goals in a season in his entire career.  Has he failed to settle in Bristol or are we failing to play to his strengths? 

Martin and Semeneyo are praised by many for their creative contributions but the latter has failed to score in any league game, and Martin has proved almost as barren in front of goal.  It is now 7 seasons since Martin hit 20 in one season.  Over the hill?

Diedhou remains as inconsistent as ever.  Appears to be just short of the standard required for this league some would say.

Ideas?

1 minute ago, Ivorguy said:

When all are fit we seem to have got goalkeeper, defence, and midfield, reasonably right, with just a few tweaks required perhaps in next window.

Wells came garlanded with praise but has failed to set the Avon alight.  He has, incidentally, never hit 20 goals in a season in his entire career.  Has he failed to settle in Bristol or are we failing to play to his strengths? 

Martin and Semeneyo are praised by many for their creative contributions but the latter has failed to score in any league game, and Martin has proved almost as barren in front of goal.  It is now 7 seasons since Martin hit 20 in one season.  Over the hill?

Diedhou remains as inconsistent as ever.  Appears to be just short of the standard required for this league some would say.

Ideas?

You mention Wells. Look at the amount of chances QPR created against us in the week. Wells played the width of the 18-yard box at Loftus Road and thrived on the service.

Not only is Wells being shunted wide under Holden, all season we’ve created very little. Nobody can say from any of our games in 20/21 that we’re going to give someone a hiding soon. 

Wells will score far fewer stuck out on the wing.

Martin has tailed off for me of late, not great v QPR & anonymous today. Seems to have famine or feast seasons (so either 12/13 a season or 2 or 3) so far it looks very much like the latter.

Fam is someone who needs a few games to build up a bit of form, 10 minutes here & 5 there won’t do it.

Semenyo is a real talent but I remain to be convinced he will score goals, so far in the league he has just 3 at L2 level.

Wells has to start through the middle, as for the rest, at present they are much of a muchness.

We need someone like Tammy again. Big, fast, good in the air and with the ball. Martin on his own is bad, he’s slower than bloody Gimli. Fam, love him to bits but not exactly speedy and needs service (and regular minutes) he’s just not getting. Wells, again needs service but doesn’t affect the game much outside of tap ins. Lovely to have a poacher but he lets us down elsewhere. 

Our style of play on the whole is really not conducive to someone smashing in 25 a season, no creativity, no general idea of how we want to play. Our current forwards don’t help but they’re also certainly not being helped. 

25 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Ideas?

Don’t think our midfield is anywhere near right at the minute. Severe lack of creativity. 

Martin & Wells playing central when we played 3-5-2, looked a really good and dangerous pairing. Playing 4-3-3 with Wells stuck out wide and Martin in no-mans land, just it seems to accommodate starting Semenyo, really does neither Wells or Martin any favours.

I'd switch back to 3-5-2, and leave Semenyo to make an impact from the bench, he is not good enough to build a 4-3-3 formation around.

Style.

Our style is play in front of a team and hope to break them down and score from a ball from a wide area or pinch a goal from a set piece.

The only players that I see run beyond players are Semenyo and even Nagy sometimes. The way we are told to play limits our attacking options because we are always in front of the opposition and never really putting them on the back foot.

Take that with the midfielders and forwards we have. 

Wells doesn't go beyond players and just picks up scraps. Martin has as much movement as a wardrobe but he can link up players running beyond(which we have a lack of and don't play in that style). Fam is an on the shoulder striker but aerially and not as useful on the floor. Weimann is similar to Wells in that they score with a few touches and anymore than a few touches and attacks get stifled.

Semenyo goes beyond but he's played out wide where he seems to get more space but if no one else is running beyond we go back and sideways time and time again.

The style we play doesn't get attractive attacking football. We will stay in games and pinch them just like under LJ and it will be the same under Holden.

When was the last time we had a player who could get on the ball and scare defenders and get them running back? Kodjia? 

I don't mind pinching games as all results are results but don't be surprised when teams get savvy to us (like today and every other January onwards for the last 3/4 seasons) and we can't change our style because we only play one way.

We don't have the quality of striker that the top 6 to 10 clubs have. I was really impressed with Joao for Reading.  Then look at Toney,  Pukki, Deeney, Ayew.......

You have to love Fam but he's not good enough.

Wells is good enough if played centrally and given service. 

I do think that the lack of a creative no. 8 / no. 10 is a big problem. 

Id play Martin and Wells in a 2. Martin's role isn't scoring, it's those clever flick-ons, holding the ball up when needed, or laying off to midfielders making runs. That's what he does well. And Nahki is our most natural goal scorer, so good in the box with good service from a creative midfielder and Martin.

It's one of the joys of following BCFC for over fifty years. In that time, we have rarely managed to acquire or produce a striker who can collect a ball, turn his man and get a shot off at goal. Kodjia was the last who could do that and we kept him for as long as we could before having to cash in. We won't pay the going rate for a striker at this level, so we get the also rans, that includes Wells.

Our current crop of strikers are as poor as I've seen regarding movement and strength. Martin has strength but little movement, Semenyo has a bit of both but, no natural ability to find the net, as of yet. Wells is a poacher and little more, he requires lots of chances created by others, so he's on a hiding to nothing here, I hope that changes. Famara wouldn't make a striker as long as he's got a back passage, can't keep possession, can't trap the ball, can't head, can't shoot, I enjoy his endeavor though and is our best defender at corners.

It's a long time since we've been able to get three points by the brilliance of a striker.

I am trying to withhold judgement until we get our first choice midfielders back. Also would like to see Pato wide in a 433. 

Bentley

Hunt Vyner Kalas Dasilva

Bakinson

Williams COD

Semenyo Martin Paterson

Think we could perhaps be a bit more fluid with that. Can have Wells for Martin and Walsh for COD or Williams. I want to see it before I write them all off.

This season does have a feel of a bit too soon. Some key players are inexperienced like Vyner and Semenyo. Obviously some key injuries. I think this same squad with another year under them could be one to watch. 

1 hour ago, tin said:

You mention Wells. Look at the amount of chances QPR created against us in the week. Wells played the width of the 18-yard box at Loftus Road and thrived on the service.

Not only is Wells being shunted wide under Holden, all season we’ve created very little. Nobody can say from any of our games in 20/21 that we’re going to give someone a hiding soon. 

No, simply because if we ever go a goal up, two at a push, we drop deep, bring on extra defenders and hang on for what we have. We would never ever have won 4-0 at Barnsley as Bournemouth did last night.

2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Martin & Wells playing central when we played 3-5-2, looked a really good and dangerous pairing. Playing 4-3-3 with Wells stuck out wide and Martin in no-mans land, just it seems to accommodate starting Semenyo, really does neither Wells or Martin any favours.

I'd switch back to 3-5-2, and leave Semenyo to make an impact from the bench, he is not good enough to build a 4-3-3 formation around.

I think that was what Nahki was implying in his interview on Radio Bristol earlier this week. Not being played in his natural position, but trying to adapt.

We have 4 strikers, Fam 13 goals a season, Wells a 1 in 3 striker, Martin who over his career is 1 in 4 but is being played as a back to goal striker predominantly and Semenyo who is just making his way. I don't think the problem is there as how many chances do we miss? Not many. The problem is further back, the FB's haven't got forward too much in recent games, certainly not getting crosses in and not a great deal coming through the middle meaning 13 shots on target in 5 games. 
Wells hasn't looked great lately, but he's feeding off scraps, I don't think it will improve until we can field a side nearer full strength. What I think would help short term is getting Wells and Martin closer together, that means either 3-5-2 or 4-3-1-2. The latter would allow Pato or COD to play a 10 role, COD showed today he can be dangerous in that area. It would also allow a stronger MF, Brunt/Nagy/Bakinson or a variation of it with HNM or even Rowe.

4 hours ago, Rich said:

It's one of the joys of following BCFC for over fifty years. In that time, we have rarely managed to acquire or produce a striker who can collect a ball, turn his man and get a shot off at goal. Kodjia was the last who could do that and we kept him for as long as we could before having to cash in. We won't pay the going rate for a striker at this level, so we get the also rans, that includes Wells.

Our current crop of strikers are as poor as I've seen regarding movement and strength. Martin has strength but little movement, Semenyo has a bit of both but, no natural ability to find the net, as of yet. Wells is a poacher and little more, he requires lots of chances created by others, so he's on a hiding to nothing here, I hope that changes. Famara wouldn't make a striker as long as he's got a back passage, can't keep possession, can't trap the ball, can't head, can't shoot, I enjoy his endeavor though and is our best defender at corners.

It's a long time since we've been able to get three points by the brilliance of a striker.

Harsh but unfortunately all too true.

Weird how everyone got excited about Wells and aubergined anyone who said it wouldn’t turn out to be a good signing. 

Any player who is only effective with one style and formation is not for me.  Same as Palmer, Tomlin and Elliason.  These players might be different to each other but they all need systems built around them for them to perform.  

You need to create chances to score goals - we are incapable of doing that with the current midfield. Wells never seemed to have issues scoring when he was playing for QPR - He feeds off scraps for us and looks a frustrated figure out there. Given the amount of chances we create i think he has a decent scoring record this season.

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He is our top scorer though.

Wells isn’t only effective in one style and formation.  He’s proved over the years he can play in different types.

He doesn’t need a system built around him, he does need service though.

Top scorer is all well and good if the team is scoring a lot of goals.  If the goalscorer’s lack of ability in general play means the team score fewer goals with him in it then there’s a problem.  Seem to remember having a similar conversation with you about another one of our strikers before. 

Wells does need a system built around him.  He needs to play in a team that creates a lot of chances and he needs to not he involved in bulld up play as he isn’t good enough at it.

7 hours ago, Wade Wilson said:

We need someone like Tammy again. Big, fast, good in the air and with the ball. Martin on his own is bad, he’s slower than bloody Gimli. Fam, love him to bits but not exactly speedy and needs service (and regular minutes) he’s just not getting. Wells, again needs service but doesn’t affect the game much outside of tap ins. Lovely to have a poacher but he lets us down elsewhere. 

Our style of play on the whole is really not conducive to someone smashing in 25 a season, no creativity, no general idea of how we want to play. Our current forwards don’t help but they’re also certainly not being helped. 

So let's sign Gimli 

I mentioned this on another thread last week, and the worry for me is the “wait until we get our injured players back” comment is of course fair..... BUT 

Baker

Mawson

Sessenong 

Weimann 

Williams 

Walsh

of those, only Walsh/Weimann can be classed as “creative” , and I don’t think Weimann is that creative, he just offers us a lot of energy. 

Our front 4 strikers are all fit and available- and you could (not to start another KP debate) say that Palmer is our most “creative” option outside of that lot (currently not pulling up trees at Swansea, but getting far more minutes for a team higher placed than us, than he did for us). 

I feel 4-3-3 is better suited as a formation to go to mid game to try and get something, as opposed to starting that way- and for the likes of a Semenyo, maybe he has more joy coming off the bench to run @ tiring fullbacks. 

For me, now is the time to revert to 3-5-2, get a midfield 3 filled with energy with Nagy, Massengo and Bakinson, and utilise JD and JH on the flanks with Wells and Martin up top. 

Semenyo, Bell, COD can all offer a lot of impact from the bench should we need it. 

9 minutes ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

I mentioned this on another thread last week, and the worry for me is the “wait until we get our injured players back” comment is of course fair..... BUT 

Baker

Mawson

Sessenong 

Weimann 

Williams 

Walsh

of those, only Walsh/Weimann can be classed as “creative” , and I don’t think Weimann is that creative, he just offers us a lot of energy. 

Our front 4 strikers are all fit and available- and you could (not to start another KP debate) say that Palmer is our most “creative” option outside of that lot (currently not pulling up trees at Swansea, but getting far more minutes for a team higher placed than us, than he did for us). 

I feel 4-3-3 is better suited as a formation to go to mid game to try and get something, as opposed to starting that way- and for the likes of a Semenyo, maybe he has more joy coming off the bench to run @ tiring fullbacks. 

For me, now is the time to revert to 3-5-2, get a midfield 3 filled with energy with Nagy, Massengo and Bakinson, and utilise JD and JH on the flanks with Wells and Martin up top. 

Semenyo, Bell, COD can all offer a lot of impact from the bench should we need it. 

Should include Paterson in this list. He could well be the creative player Holden wants back from injury

Archived