IGNORED

Sam Bell

westred1

10 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Cant see he’s  posing anymore CoVid threat than any ball boy or attendee

But more importantly gents....

Do you begrudge him ?

If it was your son ?

Clearly not, but how far do we bend the rules, mothers, brothers, sisters, partners? Were Towlers family in attendance too in case he came on?

8 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Clearly not, but how far do we bend the rules, mothers, brothers, sisters, partners? Were Towlers family in attendance too in case he came on?

Mickey Bell is a member of staff, none of Towlers family are. Not hard to understand really 

7 hours ago, REDOXO said:

————————————————————————————————————————————————

That was what I was replying to.. 

What might have been career at 20

Semenyo is in our first team and has seven assists, so most would guess he is pretty successful by the time he is 20.

10 hours ago, pillred said:

Plenty of time true but many players have shown what they can do and have already been pretty successful by the time they are 20. 

The lad has not long turned 18

8 hours ago, REDOXO said:

————————————————————————————————————————————————

That was what I was replying to.. 

What might have been career at 20

Semenyo is in our first team and has seven assists, so most would guess he is pretty successful by the time he is 20.

He's doing pretty well but is he a striker (who scores goals) or a forward player who helps create chances for others and scores the occasional goal himself? my point was there are many players who by the age of 20 have pretty good scoring records, if Semenyo is not supposed to be that kind of player then yes he has done ok so far.

1 hour ago, pillred said:

He's doing pretty well but is he a striker (who scores goals) or a forward player who helps create chances for others and scores the occasional goal himself? my point was there are many players who by the age of 20 have pretty good scoring records, if Semenyo is not supposed to be that kind of player then yes he has done ok so far.

Maybe your memory is far better than mine

But take out the exceptional exceptions like Owen , Rooney 

I cant think of many at all

2 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

maybe not too many prolific goal scorers maybe but players that were well established at club or international level by 20, Robbie fowler is another who had scored a fair few by the time he was Antoine's age, but he could suddenly get a goal and go on an amazing run let's hope so.

2 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

A couple of recent Prem to Champ loanees :

Tammy Abraham was 18 when he joined us. 
Rhian Brewster was 19 when he joined Swansea. 

10 minutes ago, Harry said:

A couple of recent Prem to Champ loanees :

Tammy Abraham was 18 when he joined us. 
Rhian Brewster was 19 when he joined Swansea. 

Unfair to compare to Semenyo who came via SGS Harry , Internationals in age groups , and goalscorers through their age groups 

Both developed in Top Academy’s - You could throw in Rashford and Greenwood in recent years too I guess ,

but still rare 

58 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Unfair to compare to Semenyo who came via SGS Harry , Internationals in age groups , and goalscorers through their age groups 

Both developed in Top Academy’s - You could throw in Rashford and Greenwood in recent years too I guess ,

but still rare 

Absolutely.  Very different routes to the pro game. But just saying it’s not a blanket statement to say 20 year olds don’t score. There are lots of examples and regardless of Semenyo’s journey, he is now a starter, up front, in the Championship. 

I'd actually phrase it as 'how many strikers are banging in goals under 20 in the second tier (and not on loan)' if they're good enough and spotted early enough they'll be at a top tier club ie Rooney/Owen etc. Only one I can think off the top of my head recently is Tyrese Campbell at Stoke who got about 12 last season, but a good goals per 90 rate.

Brian Tinnion mentioned on the commentary that he keeps a record of all his games and goals which shows an obsession with the game.

I believe he said it was something like 330 games for BCFC youth teams and around 324 goals. Thats impressive no matter what standard it is and shows Sam knows where the net is.

3 hours ago, pillred said:

maybe not too many prolific goal scorers maybe but players that were well established at club or international level by 20, Robbie fowler is another who had scored a fair few by the time he was Antoine's age, but he could suddenly get a goal and go on an amazing run let's hope so.

Strangely enough though, Owen, Fowler and to a lesser extent Rooney all burst onto the scene really young and never really improved as players.

Granted, they were all at an exceptional level as kids but after 4-5 years of top level football their careers digressed and they never hit the peaks their potential suggested they could.

On the other side of the coin, the likes of Ian Wright, Chris Waddle and Stuart Pearce weren't young superstars and got into the game later and they got better and better the longer they played.

Archived