IGNORED

Your favourite Pistols track. One each per OTIBer

AppyDAZE

On 06/12/2020 at 08:50, Reddrive said:

For me, favourite Pistols track...

Holidays in the Sun.

"Holidays" for me as well, this seemed to sum up the Pistols musically, but the lyrics are amazing.  Written about the Berlin Wall as was, a little bit of politics, which was more akin to a Clash track.  

BS2 Red I Always has a bit of a soft spot for TGRARS, even some of the rubbish tracks.  Orchestrated version of EMI and Malcolm singing "You've Got Hands", not to mention the dubious vocals of Ronnie Biggs, make the whole project interesting.  The whole film/album soundtrack had a much "artier" and pretentious feel, whereas NMTB was straight up in your face punk (brilliant as it was).

But this track is just bizzarre:-

The Sex Pistols L'Anarchie Pour Le UK - YouTube

On 11/12/2020 at 18:39, AppyDAZE said:

This demo version really makes me wish they hadn't sacked Matlock for the album versions. The bass on this is phenomenal (well, for a punk record)

That's the Dave Goodman version I think, recorded after the band was sacked by EMI and before signing for A&M. They were a very decent rock band with Matlock on the bass, the decision to replace him with Sid was disastrous and pretty much the beginning of the end.

Although Steve Jones did a solid enough job on the bass on Never Mind The Bollocks, I really think it could have been an even better album with proper bass parts from Matlock rather than just root notes.

As it goes I've just finished reading Dave Goodman's book about his time working with the Pistols, a really interesting read and a different perspective from what we're used to. 

22 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

That's the Dave Goodman version I think, recorded after the band was sacked by EMI and before signing for A&M. They were a very decent rock band with Matlock on the bass, the decision to replace him with Sid was disastrous and pretty much the beginning of the end.

Although Steve Jones did a solid enough job on the bass on Never Mind The Bollocks, I really think it could have been an even better album with proper bass parts from Matlock rather than just root notes.

As it goes I've just finished reading Dave Goodman's book about his time working with the Pistols, a really interesting read and a different perspective from what we're used to. 

Sounds good. I'll look that up . Cheers!

Archived