IGNORED

Outrageous Goal of the Day

Champion Dung Spreader

3 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Yes they have changed. Mostly for the better, occasionally not.

However the Laws of the game were the same then as they are now in this regard, (unsporting behavior) we are just less tolerant of piss takers in all walks of life. If I remember, for the record, from that time, Gerry Gow was not particularly tolerant of Bobby Gould and had to be dragged off him once!

http://www.syossetsoccer.org/home/683808.html

Yes and Alan Dicks substituted Gerry at half time!

8 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Where did he play Dave ?

Sitting in midfield ?

My claim to fame is playing with , well watching in awe mainly , Eddie Gray !! 

Central midfield, still got about.  Just did the basics though, got it, gave it, made an angle.

I remember you telling me about Eddie Gray. ??????

The other thing about Trevor was that he’d go into the bar afterwards and sit with his dad, who still watched his son every week.  I always look back at that and think here’s a bloke who’s play top flight football, 500 games for City, and his dad still comes to watch....beautiful really.

Funnily enough Paul Randall was the same, his dad still watched him play every week, they’d have a beer together, mix with opponents like me.

Both showed their true love of football.

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Central midfield, still got about.  Just did the basics though, got it, gave it, made an angle.

I remember you telling me about Eddie Gray. ??????

The other thing about Trevor was that he’d go into the bar afterwards and sit with his dad, who still watched his son every week.  I always look back at that and think here’s a bloke who’s play top flight football, 500 games for City, and his dad still comes to watch....beautiful really.

Funnily enough Paul Randall was the same, his dad still watched him play every week, they’d have a beer together, mix with opponents like me.

Both showed their true love of football.

Must have been great to Play competitive football with a player like that 

Encountered Paul a fair few times playing and managing (Him playing , not me !) - good bloke , think he played well into his 40s

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Must have been great to Play competitive football with a player like that 

Encountered Paul a fair few times playing and managing (Him playing , not me !) - good bloke , think he played well into his 40s

Yes I stopped at 30/31, and he was in his early 40s then.  Still knew how to sniff out a chance!!

Remember playing against the likes of Archie Stevens (Melksham), Steve Cross and Carl Saunders (Mangotsfield), Mark Loram (Ex-Torquay - what a left foot).  Saunders was still only about 32 at the time, Stevens was past it though.

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes I stopped at 30/31, and he was in his early 40s then.  Still knew how to sniff out a chance!!

Remember playing against the likes of Archie Stevens (Melksham), Steve Cross and Carl Saunders (Mangotsfield), Mark Loram (Ex-Torquay - what a left foot).  Saunders was still only about 32 at the time, Stevens was past it though.

He was one of those late starters wasn`t he? Didn`t go pro till he was about 28 or something?

He was still part of one of my best days ever though 1-0 down, 2-1 up!

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What great bloke Steve Cross is, I was lucky to have him as a coach for a season. He played the “good cop” role brilliantly! 

2 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

He was one of those late starters wasn`t he? Didn`t go pro till he was about 28 or something?

He was still part of one of my best days ever though 1-0 down, 2-1 up!

⬇️⬇️⬇️ Yes, went to Boro and Darlington, retired, came out of retirement to help his hometown Melksham (where it started) and retired again after he played us.  Basically he elbowed my central defensive partner in the face....and was basically told he’d break both of Archie’s legs.  Archie feigned a hamstring injury, trotted off, and retired fully!! Melksham ended up with 8 on the pitch that afternoon, 3 red cards.  Stevens should’ve seen red for his elbow too.

1 hour ago, Red Shadow said:

Without a doubt my favourite day of my football life. Dec 10th, 1983 ?

Partly why I mentioned him....always sparks off THAT game. ???

Just now, Portland Bill said:

That must have been some experience playing with him, good memories for yourself ?

Ahhh it wasn’t in a serious setting PB

Used to run coaching schools for him and Ian St John - they ran schools all over the country for kids in holidays and everything was set up and me and another guy organised the coaches and ran the week

Gray always turned up and spent a day with the kids - can’t speak highly enough of him

We would play a coaches against parents game and hence I got to ‘play with’ Eddie Gray !

Literally no one could get the ball off him , the dads we’re trying in threes and fours !

2 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Ahhh it wasn’t in a serious setting PB

Used to run coaching schools for him and Ian St John - they ran schools all over the country for kids in holidays and everything was set up and me and another guy organised the coaches and ran the week

Gray always turned up and spent a day with the kids - can’t speak highly enough of him

We would play a coaches against parents game and hence I got to ‘play with’ Eddie Gray !

Literally no one could get the ball off him , the dads we’re trying in threes and fours !

My memory is of the 1970 Cup Final where he was great against Chelsea, but Leeds failed to win, then lost the replay. Felt sorry for him!

On 07/12/2020 at 13:40, Coxy27 said:

Not a booking for me (and I was once a referee) - however, there is some subjectivity around the 'unsporting behaviour' definition and this would presumably fall under that.

As for getting down on your knees and heading the ball in - this is a yellow card offense. It was once specifically used as an example actually on a training course I was on. That, along with scooping the ball up and heading it back to your keeper as a back pass, and a few other niche things.

Basically anything 'banterous' you do to waste a bit of time/show off - the refereeing teams are often taught to caution for it. It's sad really.

Isn't heading it like that potentially dangerous too? What if someone managed to get back in time and slide in / kick them in the head

Archived