IGNORED

World Cup 2022 Draw

Red Army 75

With three teams left from pot 5, we were guaranteed one of Cyprus (last played them away in 1975), Armenia (never played) or Andorra...and ended up with Andorra, again (England played them twice in recent years).

And with three teams left from pot 6, we were guaranteed one of Malta, Liechtenstein or San Marino...and ended up with San Marino (who we've also played twice in recent years).

On the assumption that travel restarts towards the end of Q1 2021 (a big assumption, admittedly), the travelling highlights have to be Tirana and Budapest. Armenia, Cyprus or Liechtenstein would have been much more interesting new places to visit than Serravalle for a third time. 

With three teams left from pot 5, we were guaranteed one of Cyprus (last played them away in 1975), Armenia (never played) or Andorra...and ended up with Andorra, again (England played them four times in recent years).

And with three teams left from pot 6, we were guaranteed one of Malta, Liechtenstein or San Marino...and ended up with San Marino (who we've also played four times in recent years).

On the assumption that travel restarts towards the end of Q1 2021 (a big assumption, admittedly), the travelling highlights have to be Tirana and Budapest. Armenia, Cyprus or Liechtenstein would have been much more interesting new places to visit than Serravalle for a third time. 

17 minutes ago, North London Red said:

With three teams left from pot 5, we were guaranteed one of Cyprus (last played them away in 1975), Armenia (never played) or Andorra...and ended up with Andorra, again (England played them twice in recent years).

And with three teams left from pot 6, we were guaranteed one of Malta, Liechtenstein or San Marino...and ended up with San Marino (who we've also played twice in recent years).

I have only seen 3 international grounds, obviously 2 are Wembley & Cardiff.

The third is Vaduz (Liechtenstein), a really interesting place, there is no actual border at all, you just drive in. Not cheap but as Switzerland is next door you would expect that, some beautiful scenery, too.

I think they have spruced it up a bit but the ground was a bit like Twerton when I went, no game was on, I just walked down a lane & had a look around.

26 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I have only seen 3 international grounds, obviously 2 are Wembley & Cardiff.

The third is Vaduz (Liechtenstein), a really interesting place, there is no actual border at all, you just drive in. Not cheap but as Switzerland is next door you would expect that, some beautiful scenery, too.

I think they have spruced it up a bit but the ground was a bit like Twerton when I went, no game was on, I just walked down a lane & had a look around.

If you fancy an interesting football-related read try Charlie Connelly`s Stamping Grounds where he follows Liechtenstein home and away through a complete World Cup qualifying campaign.

24 minutes ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

I don't think it's that easy. Poland are probably the toughest of the 2nd pot and Hungary won't be push overs either. Both those teams would also expect to beat Andorra and San Marino, so effectively it's a 4 team group 

Poland won't be easy and they're way overdue a win against us. We've drawn them in our group countless times over the last 35 years, and have finished above them pretty much every time - at some point they're due a result against us. I'd probably back England to get the better of them over the two games, but not with any great degree of confidence. 

That said, Sweden were the team I most wanted to avoid from pot 2. Last time in world cup qualifying they beat France, finished above Holland, and then knocked Italy out in a play off. 

The 'four team group' comment is also very true - goal difference against the weaker teams could come into play if the four stronger teams take points off each other. 

3 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

If you fancy an interesting football-related read try Charlie Connelly`s Stamping Grounds where he follows Liechtenstein home and away through a complete World Cup qualifying campaign.

I’ve got it (sad, I know).

Archived