IGNORED

Lee Trundle on Sound of the City

Curr Avon

Great interview, he came across really well. It was big of him to admit some of the blame in his bust ups with Gary Johnson. He also admitted it was difficult for Championship clubs to have luxury players, whilst in League One with Swansea the manager could just tell him to go out and enjoy himself.

14 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Blimey. Helmet times on again.... ?  Trundle v Tomlin....  

Give me Tomlin when on loan here... Trundle after Tomlin joined on permanent deal.

Tomlin seems to have done nothing since leaving us..issues well reported.

7 minutes ago, bris red said:

Trundle was a decent professional by all accounts and not a complete bellend like a certain Mr Tomlin..

I wasn’t saying Tomlin was more professional but he was a great entertainer and so was JET. The comment of “we won’t see his like in a city shirt again” was a bit premature...

The thing about Championship football now is that it is all about getting to the promised land.

You can’t afford flair players unless the other 10 are incredibly solid. - I loved watching Trundle, JET And Tomlin, But to a large extent their time has gone.

Look at KP, whilst not in their league, the lad can play, but can’t get a game.

57 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Lee was the last of the great entertainers. We wont see his like in a City shirt again.

I’m sure he’s a good bloke and his time with us certainly started and finished well, but pretty much everything in between was a sad anticlimax, and when he was called on to deliver on the biggest of stages, at Wembley, he fluffed his lines

19 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I’m sure he’s a good bloke and his time with us certainly started and finished well, but pretty much everything in between was a sad anticlimax, and when he was called on to deliver on the biggest of stages, at Wembley, he fluffed his lines

Not helped by the fact that he played so many games on the left wing. 

54 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Yep, joined us a few years past his best, I think.

He was pretty mediocre for a lot of our Championship playoff season, though the goal against Palace (like the game itself) will stay with me for ever.

Came across really well, you could so tell how much he enjoys playing at whatever level.

For me he's what football is about a player that could get you off your seat, the turgid stuff we have seen for the last two or more years forget it.

Flair,something were in short supply of now. anyway  Lee Trundle top man.

Trunds was a top player for us.

Considering the amount of game time and out of position Gary Johnson played him he more than made up for that with his play off goals. Just think what should have happened if GJ had played Evander Sno in his rightful position in the middle.

Players like Magic Daps don't come along too often. They have talent in abundance. JET was a similar player. Out of the current players Kasey Palmer is the closest and look what's happened to him.

9 minutes ago, Swede said:

Trunds was a top player for us.

Considering the amount of game time and out of position Gary Johnson played him he more than made up for that with his play off goals. Just think what should have happened if GJ had played Evander Sno in his rightful position in the middle.

Players like Magic Daps don't come along too often. They have talent in abundance. JET was a similar player. Out of the current players Kasey Palmer is the closest and look what's happened to him.

Could not agree more fella, but sadly, it’s moved on.

I loved going to AG and being entertained by quality players. Don’t get me wrong, I truly want promotion, but I think, if that happens, it will be functional and not by way of ‘magic’.

You don't seem to get maverick players anymore it is coached out of them at an early age because Trunds didn't come into the game until he was 24 he was allowed to be flamboyant. Back in the 70's every team seemed to have these players Charlie George, Stan Bowles ,George Best, Tony Currie, Rodney Marsh and later years Paul Gascoigne  that's when football was fun to watch when teams tried to win matches not just try not to lose

I'm probably going to get shot down for this, but I think overall Trundle wasted his own talent. 

He was SOOO talented - he was on the Soccer AM Showboat almost every week doing his tricks, but that was when he was in League 1 playing against tier 3 opposition. He was clearly enjoying himself being the star of that league - a big fish in a small pond - and the star of the dressing room who didn't need to try, but if he'd pushed himself he could have lit up the Championship or even possibly the Prem. He stayed at Swansea too long and only ventured elsewhere (to us) at the twilight of his career when it was too late to make the step up and establish himself in the second tier. Whether GJ played him 'wrongly' or not, it was his last real throw of the dice to play at a higher level and he flattered to deceive. By the time Swansea were promoted he was past it. 

He will live on forever in our folklore for scoring 'that' goal vs Palace - and he is a legend at Swansea for all the entertaining he did there, but looking back over his career, comparisons with Tomlin are understandable - so much talent wasted - Trundle for being lazy and complacent regarding his career and Tomlin by (seemingly) being an @rsehole to work with (so we are led to believe). 

Football missed out on Trundle IMHO - he could have brought so much more to the game. 

Still, there aren't many players who are recognised across the country by fans of all clubs, who played the vast majority of their game in League 1 - for one team!!! Good old Magic Daps - we are fortunate to have shared a small part of his magic.

23 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Great player to watch. To get the best out of him, you need to build the team around him like they did at Swansea.

In Gary Johnson’s workmanlike playoff final squad, there wasn’t any room for that.

Strange signing really, I wonder whether GJ really wanted him or whether it was an SL suggestion. 

Definitely a Johnson signing, and there was room for him when the season started, but he failed to make the upgrade to second tier level.  The odd signing, if any, was Adebola, because that changed the way we played.  A former player (who played a lot of games that season) told me last year that a lot of the players were gutted when Adebola was signed - not because he wasn’t a good player but because they knew it would change the way they played.  Amazing to think that Darren Byfield was our top scorer that season with, what, eight goals?

2 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I'm probably going to get shot down for this, but I think overall Trundle wasted his own talent. 

He was SOOO talented - he was on the Soccer AM Showboat almost every week doing his tricks, but that was when he was in League 1 playing against tier 3 opposition. He was clearly enjoying himself being the star of that league - a big fish in a small pond - and the star of the dressing room who didn't need to try, but if he'd pushed himself he could have lit up the Championship or even possibly the Prem. He stayed at Swansea too long and only ventured elsewhere (to us) at the twilight of his career when it was too late to make the step up and establish himself in the second tier. Whether GJ played him 'wrongly' or not, it was his last real throw of the dice to play at a higher level and he flattered to deceive. By the time Swansea were promoted he was past it. 

He will live on forever in our folklore for scoring 'that' goal vs Palace - and he is a legend at Swansea for all the entertaining he did there, but looking back over his career, comparisons with Tomlin are understandable - so much talent wasted - Trundle for being lazy and complacent regarding his career and Tomlin by (seemingly) being an @rsehole to work with (so we are led to believe). 

Football missed out on Trundle IMHO - he could have brought so much more to the game. 

Still, there aren't many players who are recognised across the country by fans of all clubs, who played the vast majority of their game in League 1 - for one team!!! Good old Magic Daps - we are fortunate to have shared a small part of his magic.

I'm a big fan of Trundle having watched him a lot for the Swans before he joined us and it was great to hear from the cheeky chap again last night. He was a decent talent but I'm not sure he was ever Premiership quality to be honest he was full of tricks and crazy skills but not the mobility for what you need in the top flight. It's a bit harsh to say he stayed at Swansea too long when he only had two seasons in League One with them (and only 4 seasons in total). He was late into league football at 24 so was always playing catchup a bit so who can blame him for enjoying the limelight, I believe the Swans turned down a lot of bids for him as well as the thought they could get promoted in both those seasons. He was a mecurial talent thats for sure I'm sure he probably had a few distractions off the field as well....

17 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Lee was the last of the great entertainers. We wont see his like in a City shirt again.

Good lord, you on a downer?

What makes you say we won't see his like in a City shirt again? The 'maverick' type player is becoming less common, a la Kasey Palmer, but there is always room for someone who can do something special. Maybe the next person will do it more often then Trundle did as well? Top bloke though, I will certainly listen in to hear the interview

One of those strange players, a bit like Pitman.

Always thought he played a level below his ability, maybe (like Tomlin) he wasn't the natural athlete or maybe as others have said, preferred being the big fish in a small pond, but him gracing the lower leagues was great for us and Swansea who got to see more of his flair than most fans did.

Trundle was a brilliant talent and in my opinion you don't change that talent to fit, you change the team to fit the talent.  City should have built their team around Trundle. No point spending £1 million on Trundle to stick him on the left wing and come back and defend.  That's not where his talents were and he didn't play that way at Swansea.  As he said last night, Sproule and Mcindoe were told to go down the wings and cross whereas at Swansea he had the ball played into his feet which is where the magic started. How could Steve Lansdown have been happy with his money being played that way?!

There absolutely should be space for flair players such as Trundle, they don't come along very often and they change games for the better, as well as excite the crowd. GJ, although he did great at City, let Trundle, the supporters and ultimately the team down by not focusing on Trundle's strengths and the reasons why he bought him.

As for his age, Vardy came to the game late and is doing great in his thirties.  He is allowed, is he not, to roam around.  Leicester play to his strengths and don't try to change him.  And in the end, Vardy keeps scoring because he is a natural goal scorer. GJ should have done the same with Trundle. Management is not about getting everybody to do what you want them to do.  It's about moulding what you have, recognising the talent and playing to it.

Had City done that with Trundle, I believe he would have scored plenty of goals in the Championship, the same as he did for Swansea.

Archived