IGNORED

Lee Trundle on Sound of the City

Curr Avon

6 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Definitely a Johnson signing, and there was room for him when the season started, but he failed to make the upgrade to second tier level.  The odd signing, if any, was Adebola, because that changed the way we played.  A former player (who played a lot of games that season) told me last year that a lot of the players were gutted when Adebola was signed - not because he wasn’t a good player but because they knew it would change the way they played.  Amazing to think that Darren Byfield was our top scorer that season with, what, eight goals?

Not sure, I'm confident Johnson wouldn't have turned down the chance to have Trundle - but it has all the hallmarks of a Lansdown 'suggestion'. An eyecatching name, a bit of star quality, doesn't quite fit our team or playing style.

I think Trundle was more than good enough for the Championship but we didn't cater to him. You can't but a player like Trundle and expect him to be at his best if you don't build the team around him. It's the same principle as JET.

Gary Johnson's team didn't suit Trundle's style of play. Sure, we had a couple of moments of magic, but what that team really needed was a quick instinctive goalscorer.

Totally agree about Adebola. I rated him but he was the wrong signing and ultimately it didn't do the team much good. 

On 07/12/2020 at 15:24, Curr Avon said:

Lee was the last of the great entertainers. We wont see his like in a City shirt again.

Surprised it's taken until just now for Phileas Fogg to mention JET. Luxury free role number 10s are definitely going out of fashion... but we've had two since Trundle that were successful (including Tomlin's loan).

Kasey Palmer obviously hasn't achieved much with us, but don't think he's in a too dissimilar mold. Maybe not quite as mercurial, but definitely has the ability to play at a higher level than Trundle ever did if he applied himself and achieved his maximum potential.

But then I do confess I'm an optimist... 

9 hours ago, Dunc said:

Surprised it's taken until just now for Phileas Fogg to mention JET. Luxury free role number 10s are definitely going out of fashion... but we've had two since Trundle that were successful (including Tomlin's loan).

Kasey Palmer obviously hasn't achieved much with us, but don't think he's in a too dissimilar mold. Maybe not quite as mercurial, but definitely has the ability to play at a higher level than Trundle ever did if he applied himself and achieved his maximum potential.

But then I do confess I'm an optimist... 

They're my favourite sort of players to watch.

Might be me misremembering.. but I feel like in the 90s/early 2000s football was full of them, even at top level. Mecurial talents who play just behind the main forwards or as a central attacking midfielder.

Gazza, Baggio, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Totti, Zola etc.

Feels like a position and style of player that's become a bit dated in modern football and it's quite rare that teams utilise it in the same way. At top level, the main attacking players in world football are usually wide forwards or pure strikers. 

It's a shame in a way because I think football was more entertaining with a classic number 10. 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

They're my favourite sort of players to watch.

Might be me misremembering.. but I feel like in the 90s/early 2000s football was full of them, even at top level. Mecurial talents who play just behind the main forwards or as a central attacking midfielder.

Gazza, Baggio, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Totti, Zola etc.

Feels like a position and style of player that's become a bit dated in modern football and it's quite rare that teams utilise it in the same way. At top level, the main attacking players in world football are usually wide forwards or pure strikers. 

It's a shame in a way because I think football was more entertaining with a classic number 10. 

Brings back a lot of memories of Football Italia on C4. Seems almost every team had one. Baggio was incredible, was talking about him at length the other week after Maradona passed away. Rui Costa was another that came up in that conversation. Zidane is still the greatest of that era for me though.

Certainly a golden age for the no. 10.

44 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Brings back a lot of memories of Football Italia on C4. Seems almost every team had one. Baggio was incredible, was talking about him at length the other week after Maradona passed away. Rui Costa was another that came up in that conversation. Zidane is still the greatest of that era for me though.

Certainly a golden age for the no. 10.

Great times. Might just be nostalgia but I think football was a better spectacle in the 90s/early 2000s. I think there was a big leap in the standard from the 80s to the 90s. Now the standard is probably similar to the 90s and 2000s but with extra pace and athleticism. Not necessarily a better spectacle though. 

I thought Trundle was a brilliant signing and used properly could have been a great for us like he was with Swansea.

I think he gets a lot of unfair criticism with words like “lazy” and waste” thrown about. He worked a lot harder for the team than he gets credit for, Stoke and Barnsley, and Preston at home being examples of this, and of course both legs of the play-off semi-finals.

That 2007-2008 should be held in higher regard purely for the fact we were 90 minutes from promotion to the Premier League and we have not had a sniff of those lofty heights since really. It was a hard working team, with a great team spirit and some real quality but not one that could accommodate the Trundle that was at Swansea. It’s hard to blame GJ who navigated a side to 4th in the league and really should have gone up automatically, or Trunds who was basically asked to become a different player.

As someone alluded to earlier in the thread, it was the signing of Adebola that was strange that year, and I liked Dele, but it changed the way we played, and if I recall correctly, Adebola missed a gilt-edged change in the play-off final after just a few minutes.

Still cannot watch that stupid play-off final again!!

2 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

I thought Trundle was a brilliant signing and used properly could have been a great for us like he was with Swansea.

I think he gets a lot of unfair criticism with words like “lazy” and waste” thrown about. He worked a lot harder for the team than he gets credit for, Stoke and Barnsley, and Preston at home being examples of this, and of course both legs of the play-off semi-finals.

That 2007-2008 should be held in higher regard purely for the fact we were 90 minutes from promotion to the Premier League and we have not had a sniff of those lofty heights since really. It was a hard working team, with a great team spirit and some real quality but not one that could accommodate the Trundle that was at Swansea. It’s hard to blame GJ who navigated a side to 4th in the league and really should have gone up automatically, or Trunds who was basically asked to become a different player.

As someone alluded to earlier in the thread, it was the signing of Adebola that was strange that year, and I liked Dele, but it changed the way we played, and if I recall correctly, Adebola missed a gilt-edged change in the play-off final after just a few minutes.

Still cannot watch that stupid play-off final again!!

As was the home game against Scunthorpe, when he scored two, including an absolute cracker.

21 hours ago, Dunc said:

Those Palace games and goals were incredible! Real hair on the neck stuff. I'm with you TomThumb... haven't watched anything from the playoff final since, and seeing that Windass goal still gets me annoyed. What could have been! 

Me neither. Even after all this time I can`t bear the thought of it.

22 hours ago, Dunc said:

Those Palace games and goals were incredible! Real hair on the neck stuff. I'm with you TomThumb... haven't watched anything from the playoff final since, and seeing that Windass goal still gets me annoyed. What could have been! 

Same here, I've never watched the highlights from that game and don't think I ever will!

8 hours ago, Mr X said:

Same here, I've never watched the highlights from that game and don't think I ever will!

Highlights.... blink you would miss them....  I recall some family members who live elsewhere in the country watching it on sky, non city supporters , telling me few days later what a terrible game it was to watch as a neutral. They thought City could have played for 10 hours and not scored but still looked the better side.  
Hull   Look where they are now...

On 08/12/2020 at 13:36, TMWANG50 said:

I'm a big fan of Trundle having watched him a lot for the Swans before he joined us and it was great to hear from the cheeky chap again last night. He was a decent talent but I'm not sure he was ever Premiership quality to be honest he was full of tricks and crazy skills but not the mobility for what you need in the top flight. It's a bit harsh to say he stayed at Swansea too long when he only had two seasons in League One with them (and only 4 seasons in total). He was late into league football at 24 so was always playing catchup a bit so who can blame him for enjoying the limelight, I believe the Swans turned down a lot of bids for him as well as the thought they could get promoted in both those seasons. He was a mecurial talent thats for sure I'm sure he probably had a few distractions off the field as well....

I didn't know that and stand corrected. It seemed like he'd been at Swansea for ages.

6 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Highlights.... blink you would miss them....  I recall some family members who live elsewhere in the country watching it on sky, non city supporters , telling me few days later what a terrible game it was to watch as a neutral. They thought City could have played for 10 hours and not scored but still looked the better side.  
Hull   Look where they are now...

And an FA Cup final and three Premier League spells! Not sure whose 12 years I'd have rather had (although throwing the Allams in to the mix makes it an easier question)...

On 07/12/2020 at 22:20, GrahamC said:

Yep, joined us a few years past his best, I think.

He was pretty mediocre for a lot of our Championship playoff season, though the goal against Palace (like the game itself) will stay with me for ever.

You might be right about us signing him after his peak but don't forget we pumped long balls up to him, or rather Adebola, for large parts of that season. That was never the way to get the best out of him. What I'd do to have Noble and Trundle in our current squad. 

I'll never forget the goals Trundle scored at home to Scunthorpe or the big one against Palace. 

30 minutes ago, tin said:

You might be right about us signing him after his peak but don't forget we pumped long balls up to him, or rather Adebola, for large parts of that season. That was never the way to get the best out of him. What I'd do to have Noble and Trundle in our current squad. 

I'll never forget the goals Trundle scored at home to Scunthorpe or the big one against Palace. 

We didn’t sign Adebola until January, he and Byfield were the main options until then.

Byfield cost a tenth as much but was far more effective.

Trundle was terrific if used properly as he had goals in him as well as audacious crowd-pleasing skills.  Definitely need the entertainers and mavericks in football and the two things almost always go together.  I was disappointed at the time in the way GJ used him.

Trundle obviously loves the game and has a really good attitude. Articulate, enthusiastic and a likeable  personality. Totally different from Tomlin in that regard. He's kept himself fit I think and even up to last year he was scoring goals at non-league level that put a smile on fans faces and goals that few other players could score.

https://fanbanter.co.uk/lee-trundle-stuns-fans-with-goal/

13 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

You could count the number of good games trundle had on one hand.

Dele came in, got top scorer, player of the season, and outscored that pair.

Was the best target man we had in years.

Don’t know why you keep saying Adebola got player of the season. 

Basso got it, whilst Orr and Marv were named in the team of the season. And quite rightly. 

In the league, Adebola scored 6 in 16 starts whilst Byfield scored 8 in 17 starts (albeit with a further 16 sub appearances). For what he cost, Byfield was a great signing. 

Trunds may not have been the greatest signing but I’ll never forget that goal against Palarse.

Thought he got more than six?

One thing im not mistaken about though, when dele came back, and warmed up with forest, he got a standing ovation.

Not many players get that when they come back.

I must have had that mistaken to about him being player of the season.

Byfield Wasnt the same player after gj, hooked him after 25 minutes in one game.

I recall that very well.

Ended up at doncaster, couldnt get a game there.

1 hour ago, tin said:

What I'd do to have Noble and Trundle in our current squad. 

35 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

Trundle was terrific if used properly as he had goals in him as well as audacious crowd-pleasing skills.  Definitely need the entertainers and mavericks in football and the two things almost always go together.  I was disappointed at the time in the way GJ used him.

Trundle obviously loves the game and has a really good attitude. Articulate, enthusiastic and a likeable  personality. Totally different from Tomlin in that regard. He's kept himself fit I think and even up to last year he was scoring goals at non-league level that put a smile on fans faces and goals that few other players could score.

https://fanbanter.co.uk/lee-trundle-stuns-fans-with-goal/

I watched the Scunthorpe match from what was then the Williams Stand and, as Trundle got the ball almost within touching distance of the Dolman Stand, I remember thinking to myself, 'Don't be silly, don't try and shoot from there'....

Trundle takes a good penalty as well....

On 11/12/2020 at 12:25, tin said:

I'll never forget the goals Trundle scored at home to Scunthorpe...

Me too. I was right behind him in the Dolman Stand when he curled those in from out wide. I’ve tried to find them online many times in the past as I’d love to see them again but without success. This morning I finally caught up with his interview on Sound of the City and I’m pleased he mentioned these two goals were his best for us as I’ve always felt they were special. 

2 hours ago, eardun said:

Me too. I was right behind him in the Dolman Stand when he curled those in from out wide. I’ve tried to find them online many times in the past as I’d love to see them again but without success. This morning I finally caught up with his interview on Sound of the City and I’m pleased he mentioned these two goals were his best for us as I’ve always felt they were special. 

They looked even better from the middle of the Atyeo!

Archived