IGNORED

My team versus Blackburn

Curr Avon

18 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

My last prediction was for the QPR game and I'm superstitious.

With Paterson a doubt I'd pick the following 11 and return to the tried and trusted solidity of a 3-5-2.

Bentley

Mariappa  Vyner  Kalas 

Hunt  Bakinson  O'Dowda  Nagy  Dasilva

Wells  Martin

Same team for me, but I’d play Mariappa central, or even left....but Vyner RCB however you play Kalas and Mariappa.

If Paterson fit then he can be the ace off the bench.

13 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

No Sem in that line up? Again impact player from the bench . We will find out if DH spy’s on OTIB tomorrow ?

Semenyo only fits a starting place in a 4-3-3 and that formation marginalises Martin & Wells. Semenyo, although having promise, simply isn't good enough to make up for the weaknesses that formation causes us. OP has it spot-on, we can always switch to 4-3-3 if needs be.

I’d agree here with the OP.

I really like Antoine as a player, but the fact remains we went 4-3-3 post Huddersfield second half to try and get him in the side. That formation plays to his strengths but at the same time negates Wells, Martin, Dasilva & Hunt. We’ve not looked like creating a great deal over the last three games and have been largely poor for big parts of them. 

I don’t think Antoine is good enough to build the side around, and as such, I think the reversion to 3-5-2 with O’Dowda in the “Pato” role makes sense for the personnel we have. 

6 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

return to the tried and trusted solidity of a 3-5-2.

It's not solid if you don't have a left centre back.

If Kalas could play there, then why drop Moore AND the system when Moore failed vs Norwich? Why not try to flip Kalas and Moore? Considering how bad he was at LCB, how much worse was it with Kalas there and Moore in his better position? Maybe it was because Moore was that bad, but maybe it's because Kalas can't do that role either.

Does Mariappa play it? He's a right back as well so that probably suggest he's better that side. I hope he can but I expect the back four until Baker or Mawson return.

15 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I really like Antoine as a player, but the fact remains we went 4-3-3 post Huddersfield second half to try and get him in the side.

I disagree with that reasoning. I think it's to take that third and disastrous LCB out of the side while retaining the 6s and two 8s. Whether Rowe or Moore, it's been a huge problem. Since we lost Paterson, we're down to one 8, and it's changed to two 6s and one 8s, because of how bad Brunt was on his own.

So unless Mariappa can play that LCB, or someone's got better at it. I don't see the back three coming out.

Bentley

Hunt. Vyner. Kalas. Dasilva

Nagy. Bakinson

Semenyo.  Paterson. COD

Wells

Probably our most creative 10 on paper and then the natural goalscorer number 9 playing in his best position.  See if he’s got what it takes.

Clearly won’t be that team though!

Blackburn fluid,,intense & aggressive with goals throughout the side - 

Whereas we look tired & disjointed,,lacking any creativity and punch.

We shall likely get nothing less than a serious mauling from this...whomever we put out there.

Fingers crossed that with both Wharton & Lenihan missing from the centre of defence maybe unsettling them....

8 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

With Paterson a doubt I'd pick the following 11 and return to the tried and trusted solidity of a 3-5-2.

Bentley

Mariappa  Vyner  Kalas 

Wells  Martin

I do think we need to get the strikers closer together. I think it's time for a rest for Semenyo, so agree with the selection and shape. Shame it's not you picking the team Mark. But ....

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Same team for me, but I’d play Mariappa central, or even left....but Vyner RCB however you play Kalas and Mariappa.

Agree. I would hope to keep Kalas central and let Vyner carry on his good form and not make him think about switching sides. Suddenly we have game changers to come off of the bench in Paterson and Semenyo .

2 hours ago, Robin Wood said:

Really tough game against the top scorers in the division we will be lucky to get a point 

Sadly, I think you're right.

We tens to give away chances and that's not a good trait against the top scorers. 

9 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Bentley

Mariappa  Vyner  Kalas 

Wells  Martin

How about a 4-4-2 ? The last few matches we have seen issues where the opposition is playing long balls wide on the wings to run on and we have not had a traditional right or left back quick enough to respond  in the correct position. A 3-5-2 is a bit of a legacy from LJ that didn’t work. He played this at home in early December last year where we went down 2-0 at home against Blackburn 

I watched this debacle from the upper tier of the lansdown stand and it was my first time back in three years back to the UK. 

1 hour ago, Son of Fred said:

4231 with Bakinson starting & Wells 'up top.

And the goals are coming from who. 1 up front ? Might as well give away 3 points straight away . Agree though on the 4 at the back but this formation is a defensive one and brings on boring football. Well for us any way.

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I would start with Diedhiou, as I think Martin has been pretty poor in the last 2 & no matter how much his hold up play impresses he is virtually no goal threat.

Only other question for me would be at LWB, Dasilva or Rowe.

Not sure to be honest, think I would probably just go for Rowe as I think he’d make us more solid & Blackburn are top six dark horses, but can see the logic of picking Dasilva.

Otherwise same formation & personnel.

3 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

Blackburn fluid,,intense & aggressive with goals throughout the side - 

Whereas we look tired & disjointed,,lacking any creativity and punch.

We shall likely get nothing less than a serious mauling from this...whomever we put out there.

Fingers crossed that with both Wharton & Lenihan missing from the centre of defence maybe unsettling them....

Blackburn have been beat 5 times this seen and held to a draw 4 times, so they're probably a similar standard to us. They had a shocking October but have got into their groove since then so whilst I agree we're underdogs, we've got more than a punchers chance.

4 hours ago, Prinny said:

It's not solid if you don't have a left centre back.

If Kalas could play there, then why drop Moore AND the system when Moore failed vs Norwich? Why not try to flip Kalas and Moore? Considering how bad he was at LCB, how much worse was it with Kalas there and Moore in his better position? Maybe it was because Moore was that bad, but maybe it's because Kalas can't do that role either.

Does Mariappa play it? He's a right back as well so that probably suggest he's better that side. I hope he can but I expect the back four until Baker or Mawson return.

I disagree with that reasoning. I think it's to take that third and disastrous LCB out of the side while retaining the 6s and two 8s. Whether Rowe or Moore, it's been a huge problem. Since we lost Paterson, we're down to one 8, and it's changed to two 6s and one 8s, because of how bad Brunt was on his own.

So unless Mariappa can play that LCB, or someone's got better at it. I don't see the back three coming out.

It’s all about weighing up the relative merits of each combination.  Kalas might be better at LCB than Moore, but is Kalas is ‘more’ better than Moore at CB?  We probably all have our view.  As it stands to play a 352 (which personally I would for other reasons than a focus on who fills LCB) whoever we play at LCB is better in another position, so it’s a sacrifice..,.just to what extent we all have our views.  If it benefits the other 9 outfield players then it’s a sacrifice worth taking.  Down to Dean to decide.  My view is that it is because of the other player combinations we can take.

For info Mariappa has played LCB in a three previously....whether he’s comfortable there or not, I’ve no idea.  Whether he fits the system that Dean wants from his LCB I’ve no idea either.

4 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Bentley

Hunt. Vyner. Kalas. Dasilva

Nagy. Bakinson

Semenyo.  Paterson. COD

Wells

Probably our most creative 10 on paper and then the natural goalscorer number 9 playing in his best position.  See if he’s got what it takes.

Just get me the two in bold on the pitch together....once....I wanna see it!!!

2 hours ago, City oz said:

And the goals are coming from who. 1 up front ? Might as well give away 3 points straight away . Agree though on the 4 at the back but this formation is a defensive one and brings on boring football. Well for us any way.

One up front doesn’t mean boring football.  Last season we played 4231 back to back against Huddersfield (h) and Fulham (a) and they were two of our most exciting games.  We won 5-2 and 2-1 respectively.

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:
5 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Nagy. Bakinson

Semenyo.  Paterson. COD

Wells

Read more  

Just get me the two in bold on the pitch together....once....I wanna see it!!!

In theory it solve a couple of problems. They want the ball and look for space to receive it, that helps everyone. We have struggled to give the man with the ball forward options, and , IMO that leads to second guessing yourself over a pass. They also like to play forward, which sounds obvious but isn't always the easiest or most obvious pass. They have also both scored, one more convincing than the other, but they get in positions to shoot. 

I would expect the pair to start, with COD. I'd go 3-5-2 and probably tell Martin not to leave the width of the area. Then have Wells playing off him, but try and keep closer. With WB's I'd say Hunt & JD . Jay is one of the best technical players at the club, needs to work on delivery though and Hunt gets forward well and can has decent delivery on his day. COD adds drive from midfield. On paper it looks a good line up, but to get anything Vs Blackburn we need to look after the ball better. We need to be right on it to get anything from the game.

Whichever way we line up, I can only see another torturous viewing.

I'm a bag of nerves before and during the game. I just hate watching it on TV. I know I could choose not to watch but it's like a car crash, I don't want to look but just can't help myself.

Always feel different when there at the game not sure why. Could be the copious amounts of Trad and Katys that take the edge off!!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

It’s all about weighing up the relative merits of each combination.  Kalas might be better at LCB than Moore, but is Kalas is ‘more’ better than Moore at CB?  We probably all have our view.  

I'm just going off what Holden actually did and selected in trying to understand what we're likely to do. Holden obv thought it was worse overall hence his earlier choice.

As it stands to play a 352 (which personally I would for other reasons than a focus on who fills LCB) whoever we play at LCB is better in another position, so it’s a sacrifice..,.just to what extent we all have our views.  If it benefits the other 9 outfield players then it’s a sacrifice worth taking.  Down to Dean to decide.  My view is that it is because of the other player combinations we can take.

If it's a game losing sacrifice then no it's not.  We've seen twice this season (well 3, but vs villa I won't count) how a weakness there can screw a game up. It really depends how good someone we haven't seen play that position is. I genuinely believe that we switched because of the LCB situation. So in order to switch back, IMO something has to have changed. So whether recruitment of improvement, I dunno.

Maybe Holden applies his pecking order policy to general formations too. Waits for a loss to change it.

13 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Bentley

Mariappa  Vyner  Kalas 

Wells  Martin

Swap Mariappa and Vyner, and I agree.

I'd rather have Vyner on the right for two reasons: 1) he's better on the ball than Mariappa, 2) Mariappa's a better out-and-out defender. 

Bentley

Vyner Kalas Moore

Hunt Bakinson Nagy  O'Dowda Dasilva

Wells Martin

While TM has made mistakes think he is the one tasked with bringing it out from the back  earlier in the season and at times he did that to very good effect. With Bakinson and Nagy in front of him that should make life a lot easier.

9 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Apparently, unlike them,  we have been moaning loudly about our injuries? News to me? ......... More so than confident, some of them are sounding positively cocky?   I really hope we smash them, but i doubt very much that we will...........Sigh!  ?

2 vs 1 in wide areas concerns me.

Then Mariappa...age, pace? Aging CBs don't tend to be the quickest- could that be an area of concern as well, if we are looking to press high.

One such issue you can manage, two? It'll surely be tough either way!

Then again, if it's Vyner or Mariappa as the RCB, then they can support Hunt in 2 v 1 and O'Dowda can pull left with DaSilva in attacking and defensive phases.

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Agree with that and ideally try to get Vyner playing a little like Ayling used to. 
this formation looks good on paper but so far this season we’ve made it far more of a back 5 than properly getting the wingbacks forward.  We got away with that early on with Weimann and Paterson providing attacking options and playing between the lines. Without them we look very static. 

Bentley 

Mariappa/Moore Vyner Kalas

Hunt                                                      Dasilva 

Bakinson      Nagy       Rowe                                                                                                                                       

Cod

Wells                        

I don't think Holden will go with this but other than Rowe who hasn't played Cm that often this year no one  is playing in the wrong position . I have really rated both Martin and Semenyo who have 4 assists a piece  but Wells is wasted on the wing . Although its one up front I think this could actually be more creative  if play out from the back and Nagy Makes bursting runs into the box.

This also leaves us with the attacking options of Martin/Semenyo/Fam to mix it up from the bench. 

Archived