IGNORED

PSG Vs Istanbul Basaksehir postponed due to comments made by 4th official

phantom

• The title was changed to PSG Vs Istanbul Basaksehir postponed due to comments made by 4th official
1 minute ago, phantom said:

Be interesting to know context it was used.

Anyone have any idea what led to the red card?

It was made by the 4th official to identify the assistant manager Pierre Webo who called him 'this black guy' to the ref.

Demba Ba is a sub and heard the comment hence the videos above. 

On the other hand the black blues brothers are on the royal variety show right now. So they can describe themselves as black, but the 4th official can't describe a coach as black? 

Is it not the same as saying the blonde guy, or even the word guy? 

Happy to be proven wrong here, just querying.

• Admin
22 minutes ago, !james said:

It was made by the 4th official to identify the assistant manager Pierre Webo who called him 'this black guy' to the ref.

Demba Ba is a sub and heard the comment hence the videos above. 

I'm not saying this is what happened, but suppose the fourth official is pointing the guy out and saying "this black guy" (referring to something that happened)?

1 minute ago, phantom said:

I'm not saying this is what happened, but suppose the fourth official is pointing the guy out and saying "this black guy" (referring to something that happened)?

That was my understanding , watching it 4th official alerts referee to comments made by or behaviour of Assistant manager 

Referee asking which member of staff he’s referring to

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

Even so, still unacceptable and can understand why players have come off 

Just watched this back on the BT Sport App. Watching again whilst typing this post for those who haven't seen it.

4th official says Negro over the radio to identify a player involved in a foul. This is then picked up by Demba Ba who was on the bench. Players from both teams then question the 4th official and referee for his use of the term. There are shots of the 4th office looking very sombre but also saying "But in Romanian it means the black guy". He seemed to miss the fact that he had picked him out based on his skin colour. Demba ba also pointing out,  "Would you say it was the white guy?" Both sets of players seemed to agree that they couldn't continue if the 4th official was going to officiate the game. Numerous players saying "It was a racist comment"

After just over 10 minutes of discussions on the touch line between players and officials, Istanbul Başakšehír players walk off.

Istanbul are saying that they won't play if the fourth official continues to be involved in the game as the VAR official. Still no players on the pitch even though they initially said the game would resume at 9pm.

Correction: 

Istanbul allege fourth official Sebastian Coltescu used a racist term towards assistant coach Pierre Webo.

Former Cameroon international Webo was shown a red card in an exchange on the touchline.

2 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

There is no need ever for professionals to be using skin colour to distinguish between people. 

But is it any different to saying the bald guy? Or the guy with the tattoo? It's describing their appearance? 

And then i mentioned we had the black blue brothers on the Royal Variety this evening. Should they not call themselves that? 

43 minutes ago, !james said:

The usual social media brigade are defending it already by stating that he is using the Romanian word "Negru" which means black, so therefore he isn't racist. But obviously he wouldn't say the white player to identify someone on the pitch.

Isn't that what Cavani got in trouble for the other week? 

10 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

There is no need ever for professionals to be using skin colour to distinguish between people. 

Doesn’t make it racist...the woke society will now ensure the fourth officials career is over purely for using the word ‘black’

Ultimately you only have to look at the impassioned response to what was said to see it caused offense and anger. This not 'woke' people being angry on someone else's behalf - It's not gamesmanship - It's not to gain an advantage (the game was 0-0) - its not to try and effect the other team. So I would say they right decision is made - even if there was no intent to be offensive or racist that is not how it has been taken. 

12 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Why , it’s not being used in a derogatory way , it’s being used as a simple identification aide as Selred has pointed out

“The black one/man/guy” could quite easily be seen as derogatory for many reasons, contemporary and historic. If it wasn’t perceived as derogatory, this event wouldn’t have happened.

While this is beyond the discussion of a football forum, and one that could be debated to death. All I’m saying is that, with all that has gone on in the last year, the professional referee should know better than to use skin colour to distinguish between people. 

I personally believe you shouldn’t be referring to people by their race no matter what. The 4th official could’ve easily described ANY other characteristic about the player, but he decides to choose his skin colour? 

Cue "the snowflakes will rename the black ball in snooker next"! 

• Admin
Just now, !james said:

I personally believe you shouldn’t be referring to people by their race no matter what. The 4th official could’ve easily described ANY other characteristic about the player, but he decides to choose his skin colour? 

Ref asks "which black guy"?

Fourth official points "this black guy"

Is that wrong? 

Being officials from another country very likely they wouldn't know the names of backroom staff

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

Ref asks "which black guy"?

Fourth official points "this black guy"

Is that wrong? 

Being officials from another country very likely they wouldn't know the names of backroom staff

The guy with the hat, the guy with PW initials on his tracksuit, the guy stood there and can point to him etc etc.

When was the last time you heard someone refer to a coaching staff member as "the white guy"?

5 minutes ago, !james said:

I mean all of the PSGs coaching staff are white aside from the gentleman who they wanted to send off, according to the staff photos I saw online. 

Unfortunate.

Following, e.g. a mugging, when describing to the Police the suspect amongst a crowd of young people it is surely acceptable to describe him/her as the black/ginger/fat guy sitting in the corner.

At a football match, I suspect 'Number 11' or the Coach might have sufficed....

But, would a description of 'the bloke with long blond hair', e.g. Robbie Savage, have caused offence?

8 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Ultimately you only have to look at the impassioned response to what was said to see it caused offense and anger. This not 'woke' people being angry on someone else's behalf - It's not gamesmanship - It's not to gain an advantage (the game was 0-0) - its not to try and effect the other team. So I would say they right decision is made - even if there was no intent to be offensive or racist that is not how it has been taken. 

‘Impassioned response’ ‘caused offence and anger’.....terminology that quite rightly should be used when a racist offence has occurred but when the 4th official used the term term black to point out a person? Come on, complete over reaction

Archived