IGNORED

Worst Bench in 5 years

Better Red

Take Fammy out of that bench and it most be the worst we have had in 5 years maybe even longer. Only Fammy can positively impact the game. Ok Bell maybe but none of us can say he can and nor can Deano.

That would look an average bench in league one.

Clearly Deano is not to blame for all the injuries. But something needs to be looked at.  Palmer, Eliason and Morrell let go. Injuries are at a level that I can’t believe is just bad luck.

Of the last 15/20 loan players we are lucky that 3 have had any impact. I will start with  Tammy but am struggling to name the others.  That’s not bad luck that’s bad recruitment. 

Give Wells some credit he seems to have bucked the trend of signings who actually play in the team consistently even if we can’t seem to find a place in the team in his natural position.  

why so angry and frustrated you might ask. It’s just the last 2 seasons have given us a real opportunity for us to progress. The playing field has never been so level. The league is competitive but that’s  because it’s much of muchness. One decent manager, a few decent signings and and loan players who actually play we could have got there.

The players will come back but by the time they are ‘on the grass’ the season will be over. 

I hope I am wrong about tonight and Bell comes and nicks the winner. But please not Brunt or Massengo if we are chasing the game.  

4 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Take Fammy out of that bench and it most be the worst we have had in 5 years maybe even longer. Only Fammy can positively impact the game. Ok Bell maybe but none of us can say he can and nor can Deano.

Clearly Deano is not to blame for all the injuries. But something needs to be looked at.  Palmer, Eliason and Morrell let go. Injuries are at a level that I can’t believe is just bad luck.

Of the last 15/20 loan players we are lucky that 3 have had any impact. I will start with  Tammy but am struggling to name the others.  That’s not bad luck that’s bad recruitment. 

Give Wells some credit he seems to have bucked the trend of signings who actually play in the team consistently even if we can’t seem to find a place in the team in his natural position.  

why so angry and frustrated you might ask. It’s just the last 2 seasons have given us a real opportunity for us to progress. The playing field has never been so level. The league is competitive but that’s  because it’s much of muchness. One decent manager, a few decent signings and and loan players who actually play we could have got there.

The players will come back but by the time they are ‘on the grass’ the season will be over. 

I hope I am wrong about tonight and Bell comes and nicks the winner. But please not Brunt or Massengo if we are chasing the game.  

Think you’ve answered your own question , it’s bad luck.

Nobody expected Bakinson to make the impact he has this season, and he took his chance. Maybe one of Towler, Bell or Edwards will next ?

The list of players missing would unquestionably improve our starting 11 , hopefully we can get them back fit in the next couple of weeks (weinmann excluded )

2 minutes ago, Better Red said:

But Fammy is on the bench?!  And please leave out the conspiracy theories as regards our injuries.  We’ve just been unlucky, that’s all.  A lot of clubs out there are struggling with the demands of this season at the moment.  Haven’t you heard Klopp’s comments?

Not sure about that.

O’Leary is an excellent second keeper (you always have to have one of those).

Moore was being touted as a Prem star earlier this season.

Mariappa was a smart addition, solid defender.

Massengo looked excellent in his first spell in the side & is still only 19.

Brunt has become a scapegoat for some but is an experienced pro who can do a job & unlike others is at least available.

Fam is unlucky not to be starting for me, I’m sure he would be getting far more stick than Martin if he had 1 goal in 14 starts & 2 sub appearances.

The rest are unproven kids, but better to have them as subs than no one.

It is a poor looking bench only because of injuries. If it was only 7 subs some of our younger players probably wouldn’t be getting any game time with us unless they went out on loan so I’m happy that some of our future talent might be getting extra minutes on the pitch and debuts etc

Personally, quite happy and excited to see some of our youngster on the bench.

A breath of fresh air is what is needed, not loads of ‘tried and failed’ old hands. 

About time the youngster were given a chance. As a Club we protect them far too much and stunt their development imo. Get out there, grab your opportunity and deliver like youngsters do in other Championship Clubs. 

I'm really surprised at this thread...as supporters, shouldn't you be aware of our directive?

It's now all about a clear pathway and fast tracking the academy.

This is what BT has been working hard at.

People complained that our academy was a waste of time...wondered why we loaned players out etc.

Look at Bakinson... probably 1% of our fan base if that, would know he was this good at the beginning of the season.

How would you know that bench is weak...have you watched them week in week out...they might all be like Bakinson for all you know.

Just saying...

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

But Fammy is on the bench?!  And please leave out the conspiracy theories as regards our injuries.  We’ve just been unlucky, that’s all.  A lot of clubs out there are struggling with the demands of this season at the moment.  Haven’t you heard Klopp’s comments?

Conspiracy theories eh?

3 hours ago, RedRock said:

Personally, quite happy and excited to see some of our youngster on the bench.

A breath of fresh air is what is needed, not loads of ‘tried and failed’ old hands. 

About time the youngster were given a chance. As a Club we protect them far too much and stunt their development imo. Get out there, grab your opportunity and deliver like youngsters do in other Championship Clubs. 

Me too.  I appreciate you can’t have a squad of 15 senior pros and fill the rest with kids, but if you have 22 plus kids and you get injuries, that’s what they’re there for.  Both Edwards and Bell have also been entrusted to make it onto the pitch too.  Got to give Dean some credit.

9 hours ago, spudski said:

I'm really surprised at this thread...as supporters, shouldn't you be aware of our directive?

It's now all about a clear pathway and fast tracking the academy.

This is what BT has been working hard at.

People complained that our academy was a waste of time...wondered why we loaned players out etc.

Look at Bakinson... probably 1% of our fan base if that, would know he was this good at the beginning of the season.

How would you know that bench is weak...have you watched them week in week out...they might all be like Bakinson for all you know.

Just saying...

The fact this needs to be explained to some...........

11 hours ago, Better Red said:

Glad you rate the younger players so much! ??‍♂️

11 hours ago, Better Red said:

?

CFECB213-13DC-4EE6-B1EC-5CF8E2A5DEEC.png

12 hours ago, Better Red said:

Why are you so angry and frustrated? Because you are petulant (such as your half time outburst last night that got moved into the match thread) and unable to deal with your favourite football team not winning/losing the odd football match in a calm manner probably?

12 hours ago, Better Red said:

I think the fact that clubs are constantly playing 2 games a week in an extremely competitive division, with hardly anytime for proper rest.....after a pre season that was non exsistent, might just have something to do with the majority of clubs suffering constant injury problems (Norwich had all three main strikers..plus their keeper missing recently), rather than some half baked theory. Possibly what needs looking at is the ridiculous amount of games some players are having to cope with.  As for the bench, i thought it was great to see all that young Academy talent coming through. it's not ideal, but it is something we just have to deal with, until players get fit again?

52 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I think the fact that clubs are constantly playing 2 games a week in an extremely competitive division, with hardly anytime for proper rest.....after a pre season that was non exsistent, might just have something to do with the majority of clubs suffering constant injury problems (Norwich had all three main strikers..plus their keeper missing recently), rather than some half baked theory. Possibly what needs looking at is the ridiculous amount of games some players are having to cope with.  As for the bench, i thought it was great to see all that young Academy talent coming through. it's not ideal, but it is something we just have to deal with, until players get fit again?

This season in particular is going to be a low quality one, football wise. That is dictated by the Schedule, which cannot really be altered, and there may well be one or two seemingly "safe" clubs around the various leagues at Christmas that get relegated because of injuries that mount up after the January transfer window has closed. I think we need to have a definite plan for this given our own injury record.

13 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

We've got a longer injury list than the Battle of the Somme, hence our very youthful bench.

Many more injuries and I'll start believing those posters who reckon our medical team are crap.

With some of our squad I might have preferred they were bayoneted on the battlefield, than dragged to safety.

27 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

With some of our squad I might have preferred they were bayoneted on the battlefield, than dragged to safety.

To be fair, I was very pleased with how they ground out a result last night against a hitherto free-scoring side. They may not play pretty football,  but they play gritty football. 

4 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

This season in particular is going to be a low quality one, football wise. That is dictated by the Schedule, which cannot really be altered, and there may well be one or two seemingly "safe" clubs around the various leagues at Christmas that get relegated because of injuries that mount up after the January transfer window has closed. I think we need to have a definite plan for this given our own injury record.

The 2nd half of the season looks a bit more normal, agree with this post though.

The fixture distribution with Covid related schedule, seems to have been frontloaded to some extent, if a lot of those injured come back December onwards, that's very good given the schedule will look a bit more normal.

I know it's not a 50/50 split but just had a look.

First 20 games- ie Coventry at home to Preston away, going on that because of a week long break between then and Boxing Day- 20 games, 98 days. One per 4.9 days, this also had 2 international breaks and 2 cup games- if we want to include those it's 23 in 105 days!

Next 26 League games- ie Wycombe at home to Brentford at home, that's 26 games in 134 days. Bit of an improvement. 27 minimum if we include the FA Cup 3rd Round.

6 midweek rounds between Boxing Day and May 8th vs 7 from Coventry at home to Preston away, before Christmas.

One small fly in the ointment is the final International round ie March/April time, it might have up to three qualifiers in it- bit tough for some of our internationals, given we play on Good Friday at home v Stoke then on Easter Monday at Coventry!

If we want to go 50/50, it's 23 games in 119 days and 3 Cup games vs 23 and 1 (minimum) Cup game in 126. 

8 midweek rounds in the first 119- plus two Cup- vs 6 in the last 126. Unsure whether to classify Easter as a midweek round.

Archived