IGNORED

Shooting practice

old_eastender

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Spot on with the first two but you are having a laugh with Wells, that effort from Vyner’s long ball was superb.

The touch was top class, made the chance all himself from a long ball and he will be disappointed he didnt get it on target, but was from a very tight angle none the less, thought he did very well.

Semenyo is 20 and you hope he improves, he has to improve. If he's consistently good he's too good to stay here, but I want to see not consistently bad. If he's not contributing goals and assists he's not in the team for his defending or pressing. He's the only one who fits the three up front so this isn't a call to drop him, just an expectation of improvement with all the time he's getting in the team.

O'Dowda is 25, and you don't see players at that age very often just click and suddenly become much better when they pass and shoot. Sometimes you have non league players who click with fitness and diet, and effort, and they shoot up the leagues. But it's rare to see a 25 year old with 250 league games learn to shoot. I think we've hit the limits of his talent. Good athlete, can run with his head down with the ball, can break lines, pick up fouls but isn't good with the ball with his decisions of final passes or shots. When we have enough players back, or in the summer, we should be looking to upgrade there.

8 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Surely Holden needs to get Semenyo (1 wide & 2 high), COD (1 high, 1 powder puff) & Wells (1 high & 1 wide) in for some serious shooting practice!

Thanks goodness for Fammy getting one on target.

A little harsh on Wells there i think 

The difference between top level and Championship.

They all probably do it in training...but match day pressure is another thing.

Would love to know how many shots Semenyo has had this season, that's gone just wide or over...it seems a lot.

If I were him I'd be aiming dead centre until confidence changes...percentages.

3 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Semenyo is 20 and you hope he improves, he has to improve. If he's consistently good he's too good to stay here, but I want to see not consistently bad. If he's not contributing goals and assists he's not in the team for his defending or pressing. He's the only one who fits the three up front so this isn't a call to drop him, just an expectation of improvement with all the time he's getting in the team.

O'Dowda is 25, and you don't see players at that age very often just click and suddenly become much better when they pass and shoot. Sometimes you have non league players who click with fitness and diet, and effort, and they shoot up the leagues. But it's rare to see a 25 year old with 250 league games learn to shoot. I think we've hit the limits of his talent. Good athlete, can run with his head down with the ball, can break lines, pick up fouls but isn't good with the ball with his decisions of final passes or shots. When we have enough players back, or in the summer, we should be looking to upgrade there.

So much quality in Semenyo’s game already for such a young lad.

The question being raised is a fair one, he needs to start adding goals to his game.

Yes with experience he can learn and improve aspects, but for a striker, either you know where the goal is or you don’t. The fact is he is getting himself into good positions, which is half the battle.

The worry for me is Semenyo just isn’t a natural finisher. Natural finishing I imagine is probably one of the hardest things to learn.

4 minutes ago, Prinny said:

100%.

Semenyo simply has to improve, he may have everything else but he’s a forward & his finishing is his Achilles heel.

O’Dowda has only 6 goals for us in over 130 league games, he just isn’t a goal scorer.

1 minute ago, Alessandro said:

So much quality in Semenyo’s game already for such a young lad.

The question being raised is a fair one, he needs to start adding goals to his game.

Yes with experience he can learn and improve aspects, but for a striker, either you know where the goal is or you don’t. The fact is he is getting himself into good positions, which is half the battle.

The worry for me is Semenyo just isn’t a natural finisher. Natural finishing I imagine is probably one of the hardest things to learn.

He has no composure. Not sure you can coach that. Just have to hope he gets one goal and then relaxes a bit.

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

He has no composure. Not sure you can coach that. Just have to hope he gets one goal and then relaxes a bit.

That’s got to be the hope.

For me at times he does have composure, on the ball he plays with composure often, he dribbles like he doesn’t believe anyone can tackle him and he’s often right.

He gets into good positions and the ball into good positions.

It’s the technique for the finish, either missing or lacking confidence. I hope it’s the latter.

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

The difference between top level and Championship.

They all probably do it in training...but match day pressure is another thing.

Would love to know how many shots Semenyo has had this season, that's gone just wide or over...it seems a lot.

If I were him I'd be aiming dead centre until confidence changes...percentages.

Think it’s a calmness that good strikers have in front of goal. It’ll come for him . My biggest gripe is when we’re in and around the box. A number of times Nagy & Bakinson linked up well , got through their midfield and faced up their back four. Then, that bit of quality let’s us down . A poor decision or over hit pass , frustrating . 
great win though. 

The problem with Semenyo is he’s not a natural goal scorer. He’s only nearly 21, and he should improve with age, but by 21 there should be a hint of scoring goals. At the moment it’s not there. Plenty of shots but they’re all high wide and handsome. He’s got plenty of skill but to me he looks like an attacking midfield player rather than a goal scoring forward. I think midfield might be his best position. Plenty of players start their career in one position but become more successful by changing to a different one - eg Bobby Reid moved in the opposite direction. 

Our finishing in general lacks composure and needs to improve. Just the three shots on target (tame efforts from Rowe and COD before Fam’s goal) tonight. 

Right now, Semenyo doesn’t look like he could hit a cow’s arse with a banjo. Both he and COD should’ve hit the target in the first half, instead they snatched at good chances. Semenyo’s young, though, and should improve with experience but he’s doesn’t look a natural goalscorer. 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

100%.

Semenyo simply has to improve, he may have everything else but he’s a forward & his finishing is his Achilles heel.

O’Dowda has only 6 goals for us in over 130 league games, he just isn’t a goal scorer.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

In fairness to LJ prior to him moving Bobby Reid up top, he did make a comment the season before that Reid just had relax when shooting.  He started that season with 4 in 10 from midfield before he drifted from being a regular starter.

Brownhill improved his snatching at shots.  Sometimes you have a fraction longer than you think.

10 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Surely Holden needs to get Semenyo (1 wide & 2 high), COD (1 high, 1 powder puff) & Wells (1 high & 1 wide) in for some serious shooting practice!

The best way to give Wells shooting practice is to play him as a centre forward.

10 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Thanks goodness for Fammy getting one on target.

They could invite Armstrong down as well on last night's showing, although I suppose 14 goals so far this season entitles you to "hit and hope" every time you get the ball.

6 goals from O'Dowda since he has joined us is such a dreadful stat for an attacking midfielder. He has no conviction in front of goal, I don't think he even believes he will score judging by his body language. Looks mental as opposed to physical, his technique with his left foot looks ok, but my word his finishing is so lightweight. 

Not sure why, but I think Semenyo will turn the corner, I think he has the belief and when one comes, he could hit a hot patch. 

17 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

6 goals from O'Dowda since he has joined us is such a dreadful stat for an attacking midfielder. He has no conviction in front of goal, I don't think he even believes he will score judging by his body language. Looks mental as opposed to physical, his technique with his left foot looks ok, but my word his finishing is so lightweight. 

Not sure why, but I think Semenyo will turn the corner, I think he has the belief and when one comes, he could hit a hot patch. 

Semenyo has shown he can do it against lower opposition so there is a hope that as soon as he gets a goal at Championship level a few more will follow. As others have said he is still a bit raw anyway which given his entry route into the pro game is hardly a shock and so has plenty of improvement in him. O'Dowda, sadly, has never looked like adding goals to his game.

27 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

I have seen nothing to suggest Semenyo will start scoring. He has no composure in front of goal the same as COD be amazed if they get 5 between them this season in the league

11 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Semenyo could become an amazing finisher. He has unbelievable power in either foot. Not at all worried about it, it's just a part of his game he still has to improve on. If he can work on keeping his shots low then that power off of either foot will surely see the ball fly into the back of the net sooner or later. I like it that he isn't scared to have a go.

I completely agree with this. I just see something in Semenyo, the way he strikes the ball off both feet, the power he generates with little backlift... I don't think finishing is going to be a problem for him.

Composure, likewise. The number of times he's got into good positions and actually managed to get his head up and pick out a pass is top-class for such a young player.

I don't think you can compare him and O'Dowda in that respect, who, for as good as he's been in the recent run, is a bit of a headless chicken in the final third.

3 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Our shooting looked like we are being trained by the rugby coaches last night.  Has nobody taught our players to lean forward rather than backwards when you're shooting for goal.

Happens at all levels of football down to Southern League where players whack it top bins shot after shot in non pressure situations and then as soon as they are in a match situation they can't do it as easily. It's nothing to do with not being taught to get their head/knee over the ball. It's composure in the match situation where i) it matters and ii) you have that split second less time to get your shot away than you do in training. They all have the basic technique when they aren't under pressure. 

Archived