IGNORED

Nagy

cidercity

2 hours ago, supercidered said:

Agree with that and Bakinson seems to resemble Marvin Elliott the more I see of him. They both seem to dovetail really well in there.

Don’t see that comparison personally. I see Bakinson in the Michael Carrick mould. Or a more mobile Pack. The type of player we’ve desperately needed for years. 

1 minute ago, Bobbie said:

Don’t see that comparison personally. I see Bakinson in the Michael Carrick mould. Or a more mobile Pack. The type of player we’ve desperately needed for years. 

They are only similar in height, skin colour and that they are both midfielders.

I loved Marvin Elliott, he was athletic, brilliant in the air & at disrupting the opposition, but his distribution was by far the weakest part of his game, no one would ever seriously say that about Tyreeq.

I think part of the issue with Nagy, was that he was being selected when he wasn't fit.

Which us probably explained by a a lack of depth in his international squad.

Goes away, not 100%, gets told by his national team physio that the run out will do him good and they will only use him for an hour, and your country needs you. He plays, comes back a bit more broken but felt obliged to declare himself available, the problem continues.

He seems to be fully fit now.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

They are only similar in height, skin colour and that they are both midfielders.

I loved Marvin Elliott, he was athletic, brilliant in the air & at disrupting the opposition, but his distribution was by far the weakest part of his game, no one would ever seriously say that about Tyreeq.

Yeah I can't imagine Elliott making that pass to Hunt in the 1st half! I actually think Bakinson and prime Elliott would be a cracking midfield pairing.

7 minutes ago, redsince1994 said:

Yeah I can't imagine Elliott making that pass to Hunt in the 1st half! I actually think Bakinson and prime Elliott would be a cracking midfield pairing.

Nor can I. As GrahamC says Marvin had many qualities but picking a pass wasn’t one of them. If Bakinson continues to develop his game I can see him becoming a real  asset for the club.

Lets hope Deano doesn’t have the same remit as his predecessor and have to sell his better players. Having your cake and eating it gets you nowhere in the end.

10 hours ago, Harry said:

I’ll stand up say that I was obviously one of those who was a loud dissenting voice. 

I had 2 main criticisms of Nagy. 
1) He ran too much. By this, I mean he’s got such high energy levels he often over committed, or closed down areas where he wasn’t supposed to go, and lose his shape discipline. 
2) He often acted like the ball was a hot potato and couldn’t get a touch or a pass, particularly when facing his own goal he didn’t seem to have any composure when under pressure. 

On both of these points he’s really improved on in the last few weeks. 
I’m definitely much more impressed now that he’s not haring off all over the pitch leaving holes in the middle. That was the biggest issue for me, and he’s cut it out, so hats off for improving. 
He said himself in his interview when he joined that he needed to run more intelligently, and not chase the ball everywhere, so hopefully he’s now learnt that he looks a much better player for it. 

Point two and point one are very much intertwined, too, because clever running means less running... and means more energy and composure to use the ball properly when he receives it.

This has always been Andreas Weimann's biggest issue IMO.

41 minutes ago, tin said:

True, but I don’t think they’re competing for the same spot. I expect Walsh to play in front of Nagy & Williams/Bakinson. That’s where Coventry got the best out of him, as one of two behind one striker. 

Back to Nagy, I put an image up on the match day thread showing his stats from our last seven games. He was first for passes, accuracy and possession won; second for tackles and interceptions.

He’s had a season to adapt to English football, is over his injuries and looks a class act. Mental to think he was frozen out at the start of the season. 

I don’t think he did.  In Coventry’s 3421, he usually played as one of the deeper 2, alongside Liam Kelly.  Jamie Allen and Callum O’Hare as the two behind the striker.  In FM terms a deep lying playmaker.  He played where Hamer plays now.

If they played 343, then he was one of the conventional CMs.

But he never really played as the Attacking Midfielder.

27 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Nor can I. As GrahamC says Marvin had many qualities but picking a pass wasn’t one of them. If Bakinson continues to develop his game I can see him becoming a real  asset for the club.

Lets hope Deano doesn’t have the same remit as his predecessor and have to sell his better players. Having your cake and eating it gets you nowhere in the end.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think he did.  In Coventry’s 3421, he usually played as one of the deeper 2, alongside Liam Kelly.  Jamie Allen and Callum O’Hare as the two behind the striker.  In FM terms a deep lying playmaker.  He played where Hamer plays now.

IMO, movement, awareness and anticipation were always the best assets of Kalifa Cisse, when I watched him play for City - an exceptional player.

Interested to consider what influence he is bringing to Bakinson, Nagy etc from a coaching perspective?

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

From watching the occasional Cov game on TV last season, Kelly was the anchor and Walsh was dictating the tempo slightly further forward, finding pockets and spraying passes. They did rotate a fair bit, though, usually in a 3421 or 5221. 

12 hours ago, cidercity said:

I watched his first game at Birmingham, he was the best player on the pitch, I knew then we had a player. To many people quick to slag him off.

Agree fully with this, he looked class.

His injuries must have been having an impact plus perhaps whatever he was being asked to do by LJ

Great player, just what we need in that middle

I loved the way he obviously had faith in Tyreeq to do his job and that meant he could venture further forward without worrying. I think over the last few weeks most of us have been eagerly awaiting seeing Adam & Tyreeq in midfield and I don`t  think anyone can have been disappointed in last night.

I know I`ve been like a broken record over how good Adam is and it`s great to see him performing to such a high level - I always had faith he had it in him ever since seeing him for 45 minutes v QPR last season.

20 hours ago, cidercity said:

I think Walsh will be in our midfield when fit, anyone who can come on as a sub against Stoke (when they had a lot of premiership players) and completely control the game has got something about him. Nagy and him plus Bakes will do me.

Fair comment on the Stoke game, his magnificence was only eclipsed by Butland

21 hours ago, Harry said:

I’ll stand up say that I was obviously one of those who was a loud dissenting voice. 

1) He ran too much. By this, I mean he’s got such high energy levels he often over committed, or closed down areas where he wasn’t supposed to go, and lose his shape discipline. 
2) He often acted like the ball was a hot potato and couldn’t get a touch or a pass, particularly when facing his own goal he didn’t seem to have any composure when under pressure. 

I’m definitely much more impressed now that he’s not haring off all over the pitch leaving holes in the middle. That was the biggest issue for me, and he’s cut it out, so hats off for improving. 
He said himself in his interview when he joined that he needed to run more intelligently, and not chase the ball everywhere, so hopefully he’s now learnt that he looks a much better player for it. 

This where I think Downing and Simpson come in. Somebody has clearly got hold of Nagy and explained what he needed to do to up his game to what we are seeing now. The guy is playing like a machine but with discipline rather than headless chicken running which does more harm to the team than good.

19 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Only seems like yesterday that some people were calling him out for being weak in the tackle.

Yes. I think the guy he went through was Bradley Johnson so hardly a weak opponent either. Would have been the assist of the season if O’Dowda had scored from Nagy’s pass as he should have done. 

9 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Only seems like yesterday that some people were calling him out for being weak in the tackle.

8 hours ago, eardun said:

Yes. I think the guy he went through was Bradley Johnson so hardly a weak opponent either. Would have been the assist of the season if O’Dowda had scored from Nagy’s pass as he should have done. 

I wonder if he used to be nervous about doing his ankle again but for some reason seems to have overcome that now?

On 09/12/2020 at 22:33, Harry said:

I’m definitely much more impressed now that he’s not haring off all over the pitch leaving holes in the middle. That was the biggest issue for me, and he’s cut it out, so hats off for improving

I wonder if these two were in part, due to the fact that Hungary are quite a counterattacking side or can be vs better on paper opposition. They would be away to sides like Turkey, Serbia let alone higher opposition IMO.

Brought a bit of that quickly, move the ball on at speed for the quick break- possibly feeling he needed to cover more ground than he actually did, maybe subconcious especially when he has played alongside players who are not natural CMs in that zone/position, with us in recent months.

I see that Bannan at Sheff Wed has just been offered a new 2 year contract, as he becomes a free agent in the summer.........he is seeking assurances from Pullis about future recruitment, before he signs.  I personally wouldn't believe a word that comes out of Pullis's mouth ? But that's up  to Bannen to consider?      At 31 he is a player i think we should make a bid for, and offer him a  3 year contract.  I think he would be ideal for our midfield?             

3 hours ago, maxjak said:

At 31 he is a player i think we should make a bid for, and offer him a  3 year contract.  I think he would be ideal for our midfield?             

He's 31. Absolutely no way should we offer a guy at that age, on massive wages, a 3 year contract.

Thankfully those days are behind us

4 hours ago, maxjak said:

I see that Bannan at Sheff Wed has just been offered a new 2 year contract, as he becomes a free agent in the summer.........he is seeking assurances from Pullis about future recruitment, before he signs.  I personally wouldn't believe a word that comes out of Pullis's mouth ? But that's up  to Bannen to consider?      At 31 he is a player i think we should make a bid for, and offer him a  3 year contract.  I think he would be ideal for our midfield?             

I'd bet Sunderland will be interested.

Archived