IGNORED

Nagy

cidercity

4 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I bloody hope not. If we`re not ****** already we will be if our best (fit) player leaves.

The press asked his agents about it and they very politely ruled out the move.

"Ádám has a long term contract with Bristol City and although we look at every incoming offer he has no intention to move to the Russain Premier League in the nearby future."

12 minutes ago, Hunsupport said:

The press asked his agents about it and they very politely ruled out the move.

"Ádám has a long term contract with Bristol City and although we look at every incoming offer he has no intention to move to the Russain Premier League in the nearby future."

Nagy strikes me a smart bloke tbf.

I guess what we need to decide is if Nagy is now part of our core going forward. I know football doesn’t work this way but is Nagy a starter when everyone is fit? If ideally we see Williams, Walsh, Pato, O’Dowda and Bakinson as our central midfield options then makes sense to sell when there is interest.

Are we going to give new deals to Pato and Weimann? Is Massengo and Morton serious contenders for a starting job?

Idk if we can answer all these in January but with us unlikely to go down and even more unlikely to be promoted with Nagy then why not see if we can maximise our return on him while we can? 

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I guess what we need to decide is if Nagy is now part of our core going forward. I know football doesn’t work this way but is Nagy a starter when everyone is fit? If ideally we see Williams, Walsh, Pato, O’Dowda and Bakinson as our central midfield options then makes sense to sell when there is interest.

Are we going to give new deals to Pato and Weimann? Is Massengo and Morton serious contenders for a starting job?

Idk if we can answer all these in January but with us unlikely to go down and even more unlikely to be promoted with Nagy then why not see if we can maximise our return on him while we can? 

He'd be my first choice midfielder, but I fully expect I'm in the minority there.

Caveat: If I've ever seen Williams play I don't recall him. 

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

We would probably have to go and buy a new midfielder to replace him. Ebou Adams of Forest Green would be the one I'd like. Looks far too good for league two and surprised no one has signed him yet.

We'd probably buy 3. One would be injured before making a debut, one would be 'for the future' and the 3rd would be shite.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Nagy has surprised me this season in how he is protecting the back line. Would not want to lose him, though for the right money I'd have no problem like with most players. Not many I get too worried about losing if we can get a good deal.

We would probably have to go and buy a new midfielder to replace him. Ebou Adams of Forest Green would be the one I'd like. Looks far too good for league two and surprised no one has signed him yet.

A word in Deano's ear Jon? 

Obviously good enough to replace a stalwart in a Hungarian national team, and good championship player who's getting better by the game.... get real

1 minute ago, StGeorge said:

Obviously good enough to replace a stalwart in a Hungarian national team, and good championship player who's getting better by the game.... get real

sorry , forgot to add FFS

53 minutes ago, sinenomine said:

He'd be my first choice midfielder, but I fully expect I'm in the minority there.

Caveat: If I've ever seen Williams play I don't recall him. 

I don`t think you are after we`ve all seen him over the last dozen or so games. First (outfield) name on the teamsheet for me.

I`ll be gutted if he leaves.

45 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Just a suggestion if Nagy wants to leave or we get too good an offer we can't refuse.

If we were to sell Nagy, who would you realistically like us to go after?

This is the thing I think. If he looks back to earlier in the season, he had to wait for about 4 players to drop out injured to get a game. I wouldn't blame him if he doesn't see a long term future here. I rate him, but with Walsh and Williams out he was still behind Pato, Weimann and Bakinson. 

I worry we are offered enough to persuade the money men to let him go, with everyone fit it would be fine. If we lost him now it would leave us light, until players come back, and with an inexperienced midfield.

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Nagy has surprised me this season in how he is protecting the back line. Would not want to lose him, though for the right money I'd have no problem like with most players. Not many I get too worried about losing if we can get a good deal.

Are you serious? A league 2 player to replace an established international!

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

If the offer was ‘crazy money’ then it will probably happen Joe.

But, there comes a time when you have to look at where you are going as a club and given that Nagy has shown, and this was no surprise to me, that he is a top Championship player, serious questions would have to be asked, and they are already, about our true ambitions.

That said, if you want to make an unpopular move do it when there is little likelihood of fans being in the ground anytime soon.

I think

Keep him unless it is significant money. I actually think him-Walsh-Williams could be a very good midfield- looks good on paper to me, if only we could get them all as a unit on grass.

However, as we know we have to get used to players being sold at a profit- but in January, with Walsh and Williams seemingly the invisible men, Palmer not a true CM, O'Dowda and Paterson injured and Weimann out for the season- all players who can play centrally, would have to be a pretty strong offer to consider- Bakinson and Massengo are young and will have peaks and troughs so definitely not keen on selling him, a) For ability and b) The injuries!

If we got £9-10m or something daft, factoring in Covid etc we'd need to consider it- I don't think we'll get that so yeah keep.

2 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

If the offer was ‘crazy money’ then it will probably happen Joe.

But, there comes a time when you have to look at where you are going as a club and given that Nagy has shown, and this was no surprise to me, that he is a top Championship player, serious questions would have to be asked, and they are already, about our true ambitions.

That said, if you want to make an unpopular move do it when there is little likelihood of fans being in the ground anytime soon.

Depends on your definition of crazy money. Central midfielders don’t usually go for mega money at out level. Then you have to factor in contract length. We tend to go 3+1. So if this is the case for Nagy there is no pressure to sell.

If it is just a 3 though, then he will be in his final year the next time we could sell him meaning probably losing him at a loss or on a free in 18 months. Doesn’t strike me as someone that is so happy he would stay longer. If you look at our signings, not many have extended from original deals. Think Brownhill the most notable and probably because he was still so young quite a ways into his initial deal. 

So with circumstances as they are, if we can make a 1.5-2m profit on him I think it could be wise. Doesn’t sound like loads but by the time this lockdown is done we will be approaching 12 months of no matchday income with a squad that doesn’t have much value as it stands. 

It would be a loss on the pitch but like I said earlier, it is possibly a short term loss if he won’t be playing as much come start of next season or even end of this one. The current coaching staff is still talking up Walsh and Williams. Bakinson is playing and clearly rated. I don’t think we can let the quality of both Weimann and Paterson go for free. Massengo still here for now too but may be easy enough to move and get our money back.

I just feel there are a lot of factors that could go into this one and is worth looking at if we are making a bit of profit as we are looking 90% certain to be in this league again next season. If sold the funds could be vital for next season. As bad as this season has looked at times we have numerous young players getting better. That money could be used to extend a few of them or bring in another piece or two that fit more with the young core we are growing. 

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I actually think him-Walsh-Williams could be a very good midfield- looks good on paper to me, if only we could get them all as a unit on grass.

There must be very long odds on that midfield trio ever gracing the XI together, surely! 

6 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Depends on your definition of crazy money. Central midfielders don’t usually go for mega money at out level. Then you have to factor in contract length. We tend to go 3+1. So if this is the case for Nagy there is no pressure to sell.

he signed a 3+1, so runs out next summer, with club having a year option.

If it is just a 3 though, then he will be in his final year the next time we could sell him meaning probably losing him at a loss or on a free in 18 months. Doesn’t strike me as someone that is so happy he would stay longer. If you look at our signings, not many have extended from original deals. Think Brownhill the most notable and probably because he was still so young quite a ways into his initial deal.

Yes, was discussed on another thread by Prinny - “would you give him a 3 year deal now?”.  Not many players have extended, although some have been sold on like Webster.  See table below - in the first full season MA and LJ had together, 4 of the 13 extended contracts (Moore, Brownhill, O’Dowda and Paterson).  In fairness all were at ages where you could expect them to develop or at least have some longevity here.

So with circumstances as they are, if we can make a 1.5-2m profit on him I think it could be wise. Doesn’t sound like loads but by the time this lockdown is done we will be approaching 12 months of no matchday income with a squad that doesn’t have much value as it stands.

the big question is whether you’d get £3.5-£4.0m for him?  I’d be disappointed if we were spending that much on him in this market having seen him play enough.  A decent enough player, but is he gonna take us to the next level?  Is he really that suited to the English game?  I don’t know much about Russian football, so maybe he’s a better fit there.  We certainly don’t play a style that suits how he plays for Hungary.

It would be a loss on the pitch but like I said earlier, it is possibly a short term loss if he won’t be playing as much come start of next season or even end of this one. The current coaching staff is still talking up Walsh and Williams. Bakinson is playing and clearly rated. I don’t think we can let the quality of both Weimann and Paterson go for free. Massengo still here for now too but may be easy enough to move and get our money back.

Lots of interesting dynamics over the next 5-6 months with contract expiries coming up.

I just feel there are a lot of factors that could go into this one and is worth looking at if we are making a bit of profit as we are looking 90% certain to be in this league again next season. If sold the funds could be vital for next season. As bad as this season has looked at times we have numerous young players getting better. That money could be used to extend a few of them or bring in another piece or two that fit more with the young core we are growing. 

⬆️⬆️⬆️.

image.thumb.png.b13d786d8a170fa0ffbaf34b575fd31b.png

13 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Thing to me is Nagy is the one who is in the team and playing well. Bakinson clearly is part of our future but question marks have to hang over the heads of the others. Paterson is inconsistent and soon to be out of contract. Walsh is not yet fit, has not yet done it as this level and is soon to be out of contact. O'Dowda looks better this season but is still struggling for consistency. We don't know how Weimann's injury will impact on a player whose game is so heavily based on energey and work place and, as you say, we don't know yet if Massengo and Mortn will be good enough.

To my mind, beyond an extraordinary offer, I think we have to put confidence in the guy who is in the team and playing well. 

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Thing to me is Nagy is the one who is in the team and playing well. Bakinson clearly is part of our future but question marks have to hang over the heads of the others. Paterson is inconsistent and soon to be out of contract. Walsh is not yet fit, has not yet done it as this level and is soon to be out of contact. O'Dowda looks better this season but is still struggling for consistency. We don't know how Weimann's injury will impact on a player whose game is so heavily based on energey and work place and, as you say, we don't know yet if Massengo and Mortn will be good enough.

To my mind, beyond an extraordinary offer, I think we have to put confidence in the guy who is in the team and playing well. 

Would you give him a new deal with a pay rise? Think he would be looking for one in his next contract with his experience only growing. If the answer is yes and he is willing to sign it then you do not entertain the offers. 

He's always available and very good at taking the ball off the defence and keeping possession. Hes also very good at winning the ball back. Imagine his pass percentage is high and his amount of interceptions, which will likely attract bigger clubs. 

Pack was really good at taking the ball off the defence and keeping possession but Nagy is definitely better than him off the ball.

1 hour ago, MATT BCFC said:

He's always available and very good at taking the ball off the defence and keeping possession. Hes also very good at winning the ball back. Imagine his pass percentage is high and his amount of interceptions, which will likely attract bigger clubs. 

Pack was really good at taking the ball off the defence and keeping possession but Nagy is definitely better than him off the ball.

It`s his awareness and reading of the game that does it for me. The number of times he intercepts a pass is unreal, he just seems to always know where the ball is going.

That and his seemingly endless energy.

Archived