IGNORED

Nagy

cidercity

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

I’ll stand up say that I was obviously one of those who was a loud dissenting voice. 

I had 2 main criticisms of Nagy. 
1) He ran too much. By this, I mean he’s got such high energy levels he often over committed, or closed down areas where he wasn’t supposed to go, and lose his shape discipline. 
2) He often acted like the ball was a hot potato and couldn’t get a touch or a pass, particularly when facing his own goal he didn’t seem to have any composure when under pressure. 

On both of these points he’s really improved on in the last few weeks. 
I’m definitely much more impressed now that he’s not haring off all over the pitch leaving holes in the middle. That was the biggest issue for me, and he’s cut it out, so hats off for improving. 
He said himself in his interview when he joined that he needed to run more intelligently, and not chase the ball everywhere, so hopefully he’s now learnt that he looks a much better player for it. 

To be fair to you. I think Nagy is a confidence player.

He was talking in a interview a few weeks ago, about how he was down, because he wasn’t in the team. Let’s hope now he’s shown us all what he can do, he can keep his confidence up!

7 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Spot on fella, he was a waste of a transfer fee and needed to be moved on according to so many on here 12 months ago - the lad can play, and he will move on to greater things for big money, sadly.

10 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Playing football is about form. Nagy is in great form. 

I rest my case your honour. 

2 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

No chance Walsh will start ahead of him, Nagy is streets ahead.

Yes, I worry about all this stuff about Walsh being the great hope this season.  Sure, he looks like a great prospect and apparently did well last season in the division below but there’s no guarantee he’ll be able to step up immediately.  I seem to remember that Luke Freeman was the best player in the league in our promotion season and struggled to take the step up initially.  Hopefully he will but there’s a lot of expectation it seems.

Nagy is a seasoned international and played at a higher level than Walsh so coming from a very different place.

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

I’ll stand up say that I was obviously one of those who was a loud dissenting voice. 

1) He ran too much. By this, I mean he’s got such high energy levels he often over committed, or closed down areas where he wasn’t supposed to go, and lose his shape discipline. 
2) He often acted like the ball was a hot potato and couldn’t get a touch or a pass, particularly when facing his own goal he didn’t seem to have any composure when under pressure. 

I’m definitely much more impressed now that he’s not haring off all over the pitch leaving holes in the middle. That was the biggest issue for me, and he’s cut it out, so hats off for improving. 
He said himself in his interview when he joined that he needed to run more intelligently, and not chase the ball everywhere, so hopefully he’s now learnt that he looks a much better player for it. 

Fair play on this mea culpa - his pedigree was exciting from the off. His first few performances showed that and then his performances really fell away. Injuries / in and out of the team / different systems etc. No doubt he was disappointing.

That he is now playing to a level we thought he could achieve doesn’t make pointing out how bad the last 18 months has been wrong 

BUT - wow he is that player after all! Yes 

so many of the fringe players now at theirs best too. 

6 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

No chance Walsh will start ahead of him, Nagy is streets ahead.

I think Walsh will be in our midfield when fit, anyone who can come on as a sub against Stoke (when they had a lot of premiership players) and completely control the game has got something about him. Nagy and him plus Bakes will do me.

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I'd like to see Nagy and Walsh start in the same team, then we might have a chance of becoming a possession team

Yeah when fit - It would be interesting to see how a midfield 3 of:

Nagy - Bakinson - Walsh or Williams

Might be able to gain more control of games and dictate the play better.

23 minutes ago, Harry said:

I'm not one on here for a row, but i can't see his game has changed.

You are certainly giving him back handed compliments. Just accept he's a tidy player and you called it wrong.

27 minutes ago, Chivs said:

On this point, I'd like to point out that we have a real gem in Massengo.

Out of favour at the moment apparently, but he is a "real player".  When he slips in Wells for the playoff final winner, I promise not to say "Told you so".

I think it's more likely to be Bakinson or Vyner slipping him in from what I've seen. 

I like HNM but he just seems to play short safe balls all the time. Whether that was confidence or instructions who knows. Very rarely seemed likely to get many assists. However he is still very young and I believe has lots of ability. 

Just after we signed him he had a great game (QPR?) and  then picked up that niggling injury, compounded by that international break...when he played when unfit, and did more harm...  we only now seem to have our Nagy back. 
We are now seeing the best of him...and seeing why he was bought to the club. Fingers crossed he remains injury free. 
DH has again alluded in the media that Walsh Williams are going to play a big part in New year, and if Barkinson and Nagy  can remain fit the future looks quite exciting...keep in touch till 2021 and as DH said, the New year will be a big push...

26 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

I'm not one on here for a row, but i can't see his game has changed.

You are certainly giving him back handed compliments. Just accept he's a tidy player and you called it wrong.

Then you are not seeing what I see. 
Not back handed compliments at all. 
I have quite clearly stated the 2 main issues I had with his game and that he has improved on these. 
You’ll do well to note that Mr Nagy himself agreed with my main critique of his game. Watch his joining interview. 

His game has definitely changed, and for the better. He’s obviously worked on that specific weak area - which he also acknowledged was a weak area, not just me. What more do you want me to say?? 

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Nagy & Bakinson must play together in m/f, at least until Williams/Walsh fit. 3rd midfield place should be between Pato & COD, Brunt should only be on on the bench.

Well we finally got to see the pair of them start a league game.  For many of us playing two more conventional midfielders is something we’ve been waiting for.  Tonight it gave us good balance with and without the ball.  That ball from Bakinson inside the left back to Hunt when Semenyo missed is exactly the type of passing patterns we’ve missed.  Wells got us established possession 30 yards out left, came inside.  Bakinson on able to join in because we have good possession.  When Bakinson gets it, Hunt is confident to make a run.

In the last few games it’s been all about individuals with little secure possession.

You could see confidence to make runs.

Not saying it’s all down to Bakinson and Nagy, but it helped.

Digressing a bit.  Midway through second half Kalas had the ball 25 yards from our goal and looked like he’d have to go long.  Bakinson ran 20 yards towards the left side of the centre circle dragging Rothwell (I think) with him.  Kalas now had an easy pass to Vyner.  With Rothwell now in the wrong half of the pitch, Vyner could take the ball into space and the passing lane was now free to find Martin into feet.

Simple stuff facilitated by willing movement.  Bakinson is quite mature in that way.

50 minutes ago, Harry said:

You have been praiseworthy over the past weeks.  Some of your previous critique was spot on.  It’s possible for players to improve / start playing well and posters are allowed to change their views in response to this.  The bigger problem for me is people who won’t change their opinion in light of performance levels.

If everyone’s fit it’s got to be imo 

Bakinson    Nagy

Walsh

Semenyo    Wells       Pato

got the look on paper to be possession based which is what we’ve missed for years. Another winger/striker in jan to challenge Semenyo out wide and no more long term injuries and things will be looking good 

I’ll be honest, I was worried that the first few performances were a false dawn. The guy ran the show at Birmingham away last year and I held into it for a long time. That said it wasn’t looking good end of last season. Not sure what’s turned it around, fitness, better coaching, better use in the system, but the lad has really turned it around, and I’m delighted, him and Bakinson have the potential to completely boss the midfield for us. 

7 hours ago, Harry said:

Then you are not seeing what I see. 
Not back handed compliments at all. 
I have quite clearly stated the 2 main issues I had with his game and that he has improved on these. 
You’ll do well to note that Mr Nagy himself agreed with my main critique of his game. Watch his joining interview. 

His game has definitely changed, and for the better. He’s obviously worked on that specific weak area - which he also acknowledged was a weak area, not just me. What more do you want me to say?? 

Entirely reasonable to make a judgement on the basis of evidence and to change it when the evidence changes. The dumb thing to do is to stick to an opinion regardless.

"When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?"

John Maynard Keynes.

1 hour ago, Bassomylord said:

Bakinson is a very different player to Marvin.

I love Bakinson and loved Marv, but yeah, I couldn't think of two more contrasting players...

Bakinson absolutely oozes class every time he plays, always seems to have time on the ball and an awareness of what's around him. Seems to be contributing a lot more defensively than at the start of the season, possibly because he's less exposed by the people in front of him?

I've openly been a big fan of Nagy but didn't think he would get the opportunity again this season after being left out first few league games., however he got his chance and my god did he take it! Energy, intelligence and distribution are top notch and he breaks up so many counter attacks. Even if he doesn't win the ball he covers the space and slows it all up. As Harry mentioned, he's adapted his game well to know when to press and chase and when just to occupy the space, means he can be more effective over 90 minutes and not be blowing out his ass after 70!  I did hear though his pre season fitness levels were incredible by all accounts though...

Where he has maybe shaken the injury psychologically he's going into tackles harder and stronger and coming out with the ball. As alluded to above he seems to compliment Bakinson well and to be fair, him and O'Dowda also link up well. It's refreshing to see him and COD attacking the box when we get the ball out wide, Nagy is never going to score 10 goals a season, but if he keeps getting in those areas he will pick some up and that could be huge for us this year!

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

What exactly has Walsh ever done to justify starting ahead of Nagy, certainly nothing in a city shirt.

True, but I don’t think they’re competing for the same spot. I expect Walsh to play in front of Nagy & Williams/Bakinson. That’s where Coventry got the best out of him, as one of two behind one striker. 

Back to Nagy, I put an image up on the match day thread showing his stats from our last seven games. He was first for passes, accuracy and possession won; second for tackles and interceptions.

He’s had a season to adapt to English football, is over his injuries and looks a class act. Mental to think he was frozen out at the start of the season. 

Archived