IGNORED

Tommy Rowe - my MOTM tonight

Davefevs

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Rene Gilmartin said both he & Mariappa, who certainly aren’t the tallest for central defenders, both possess good “spring”.

If you are old (like me) you remember Donnie Gillies did, too. Someone else who wasn’t tall, but could leap to compensate.

Kalas is an interesting one, he isn’t the tallest, not the quickest (though he certainly is not slow), his distribution is good, but not great, but when it all comes together (his reading of defensive situations is excellent) & he gets into a decent run of games, he is a brilliant player.

Another was Glyn Riley, who, after his Wembley exploits, went to Aldershot.

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Rene Gilmartin said both he & Mariappa, who certainly aren’t the tallest for central defenders, both possess good “spring”.

If you are old (like me) you remember Donnie Gillies did, too. Someone else who wasn’t tall, but could leap to compensate.

Kalas is an interesting one, he isn’t the tallest, not the quickest (though he certainly is not slow), his distribution is good, but not great, but when it all comes together (his reading of defensive situations is excellent) & he gets into a decent run of games, he is a brilliant player.

I think he’s deceptively quick....because he runs smoothly / elegantly.  But like Hegeler, who was quick, albeit once he got into his stride pattern.  I think it might’ve been Swansea (h) last season where Kalas chased back what looked like a 1-on-1 and ate up the ground without looking like he was putting much effort in at all.

3 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Absolutely - appears an absolute dream of a pro

I think me or you Graham could manage a squad of a Tommy Rowes and do ok

As much as anything , Ive really enjoyed players like Wilbs , Wagstaff and Rowe at the Club in recent years - so good to see top pros at work , renews my faith in the game

I really hope that , like Wilbs , in return Rowe is enjoying every moment , as I guess he didn’t foresee himself fighting at the top end of the Championship at this stage of his career - I think I’m more pleased for him than anyone , thoroughly deserved 

CoVid May have warped the mind but I thought Kalas’s mother was a high jumper ?

Tomas was definitely into athletics at school back home....also transpires he was a goalie initially!

Weimann’s mother was the Austrian 100m hurdles record holder.

14 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

I think it was clear for all to see against QPR when he came on for Dasilva, he completely nullified the threat of Samuel - who absolutely tore Jay a new one first half.

Makes you wonder if Jay was suffering with his shins....as well as getting no help as QPR worked the ball through our front 6.

It would be absolutely perfect if we went up at the end of this season by winning the Championship play-offs. 

If Rowe played in that game it would mean he'd have won the play-offs in all 3 divisions. I doubt there's many players who have done that. 

I will admit I did consider voting for him as player of the season in last seasons Supporters Club awards but I talked myself out of it.

I thought the way he came in to the side, played in every position he was asked to, worked hard and went about his football in a very professional way was a credit to him. 

A great signing. 

6 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Bloody hell! That must have been a hell of a brave decision by someone to stick him at CB!

If I remember correctly, was only young but he always did alright there. Loved Matty Hill. 100%er and always showed his appreciation to us in the many games we played against him once he’d left us. 

Sheffield United away, under Cotterill I think it was, we lost 3-0 and were absolutely terrible, our players couldn’t get off the pitch quick enough, not one came over to thank us for being there but Matty made his way over & got a great reception.

2 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I think Rowe is a better and more reliable defender than DaSilva but DaSilva is good going forward. 

So why don't we try DaSilva in a left midfield/left wing position. 

It may just work.

Dasilva is decent around the halfway line going forward but rarely puts a decent whip in the box or gets a shot on goal. I think Rowe has done more in the opposition box than Dasilva has.

They’re both decent but have completely different styles. Very happy to have them!

Archived