IGNORED

Tonight's gripe...

Silvio Dante

34 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

I get your point but if the other parts of the ground created the atmosphere you are on about then there wouldn’t be an issue , whatever people think of the drone from s82 at least they make some noise

That is my point...you say...' at least they make some noise'. So noise for the sake of it is better than nothing? I beg to differ. So much of it is mindless and repetitive...over and over again. You think that is good...just because it's noise? Why does noise make for a better atmosphere? I simply don't understand the logic that noise is better. 

Just because the whole ground isn't chanting like the good ol' days, it doesn't mean we have to go about making a constant drone to compensate.

3 hours ago, spudski said:

That is my point...you say...' at least they make some noise'. So noise for the sake of it is better than nothing? I beg to differ. So much of it is mindless and repetitive...over and over again. You think that is good...just because it's noise? Why does noise make for a better atmosphere? I simply don't understand the logic that noise is better. 

Just because the whole ground isn't chanting like the good ol' days, it doesn't mean we have to go about making a constant drone to compensate.

Noise is atmosphere 

54 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Noise is atmosphere 

Depends what atmosphere you want to create.

The monotonous repetitive chants we have give a negative effect.

They've studied the effects of repetition and monotony and the effects it has on the mind and body.

What we hear makes the experience more boring and would have a negative effect on the players...from a study...

Introduction

Monotony was conceptualized as the result of constant, extremely predictive or repetitive stimulations. The environment in which an activity/task takes place may also influence performance as much as the monotony of the action itself [1]. It is a functional state of the central nervous system characterized by the decrease of the level of cerebral activation and is accompanied by sleepiness, a lower degree of attention and decreased vigilance [1,2].

5 hours ago, spudski said:

Come on, noise makes for a better atmosphere.

54 minutes ago, spudski said:

They've studied the effects of repetition and monotony and the effects it has on the mind and body.

What we hear makes the experience more boring and would have a negative effect on the players...from a study...

Introduction

Monotony was conceptualized as the result of constant, extremely predictive or repetitive stimulations. The environment in which an activity/task takes place may also influence performance as much as the monotony of the action itself [1]. It is a functional state of the central nervous system characterized by the decrease of the level of cerebral activation and is accompanied by sleepiness, a lower degree of attention and decreased vigilance [1,2].

I don’t think it’s the monotonous drone you make out.

3 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Come on, noise makes for a better atmosphere.

I don’t think it’s the monotonous drone you make out.

Are you one of the ones singing?

Serious question...because I imagine if you're singing/chanting you aren't hearing it from other fans perspective....or the players.

Anything done respectively will send you to sleep. It has that effect.

Spontaneous different songs/chants have a different effect.

Stick the same song on repeat for 90 mins and see how it makes you feel.

A few worded chant on repeat will be even worse.

It's no coincidence fans are wanting to turn the sound off.

Just now, spudski said:

Are you one of the ones singing?

Serious question...because I imagine if you're singing/chanting you aren't hearing it from other fans perspective....or the players.

Anything done respectively will send you to sleep. It has that effect.

Spontaneous different songs/chants have a different effect.

Stick the same song on repeat for 90 mins and see how it makes you feel.

A few worded chant on repeat will be even worse.

It's no coincidence fans are wanting to turn the sound off.

So we both agree noise makes for a better atmosphere. ?

Where we differ is whether the noise at Ashton Gate is monotonous or exciting?

Its a fair question. For the record I stand in S82 so am usually quite engaged anyway.

But yes, when I have sat in in the Lansdown, it’s difficult to feel engaged. However I would suggest it’s more of a reflection on the stand itself rather than the corner of the South Stand.

In my 25 years following city as an adult, our lot sat in the eastend, E Block Atyeo, B Block Dolman, Old Williams, and back to the east end. Wherever we sat, we sang, usually stood and generally made a noise.

I like standing in the corner of the South Stand, swearing and singing my head off, but I’d happily do it elsewhere.

I think football has killed that sense of freedom you used to get in a stand.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Introduction

How about you create the atmosphere you want then instead of crying about others who are actually trying to create something 

51 minutes ago, 054123 said:

So we both agree noise makes for a better atmosphere. ?

Where we differ is whether the noise at Ashton Gate is monotonous or exciting?

Its a fair question. For the record I stand in S82 so am usually quite engaged anyway.

But yes, when I have sat in in the Lansdown, it’s difficult to feel engaged. However I would suggest it’s more of a reflection on the stand itself rather than the corner of the South Stand.

In my 25 years following city as an adult, our lot sat in the eastend, E Block Atyeo, B Block Dolman, Old Williams, and back to the east end. Wherever we sat, we sang, usually stood and generally made a noise.

I like standing in the corner of the South Stand, swearing and singing my head off, but I’d happily do it elsewhere.

I think football has killed that sense of freedom you used to get in a stand.

Like you I've stood or sat in different parts of the ground.

As an example the Ole Ole chant sang continually does many fans heads in. It's mindless...it doesn't create a good atmosphere. It sounds plastic. If someone like Reading were doing it, we'd be taking the piss.

Funnily...the simple C'mon you Reds gets the majority of the ground joining in.

43 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

How about you create the atmosphere you want then instead of crying about others who are actually trying to create something 

I do create the atmosphere I want...I sit and watch. With like-minded individuals around me. That's my personal preference. I like to study the game.

It's called constructive criticism. I'm not the only one who's found it irritating. 

Yes...a great atmosphere adds to the enjoyment. Monotony gives a negative atmosphere. Surely you can understand that? 

8 hours ago, spudski said:

Like you I've stood or sat in different parts of the ground.

As an example the Ole Ole chant sang continually does many fans heads in. It's mindless...it doesn't create a good atmosphere. It sounds plastic. If someone like Reading were doing it, we'd be taking the piss.

Funnily...the simple C'mon you Reds gets the majority of the ground joining in.

I do create the atmosphere I want...I sit and watch. With like-minded individuals around me. That's my personal preference. I like to study the game.

It's called constructive criticism. I'm not the only one who's found it irritating. 

Yes...a great atmosphere adds to the enjoyment. Monotony gives a negative atmosphere. Surely you can understand that? 

So why moan about something if you’re not willing to try and change it 

34 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

So why moan about something if you’re not willing to try and change it 

Constructive criticism... we've all got to listen to it. 

And in my own way...I am doing what I prefer. Sitting watching and joining in the chants...not the continual monotonous ones. As do many in the ground.

It's the corner section who changed things...it was fine as it was. 

3 hours ago, Alessandro said:

@spudski - the crowd noise you hear on sky is not heard at the ground.

Thankfully the players don't have to hear it.

However...it is recordings of actual crowd 'chanting'...and that's how we sound. I guess someone's pressing buttons etc etc...but it's not the first time it's been mentioned. I've heard people say within ear shot that ' I'd wish they'd sing something different to that monotony'.

Perhaps I'm in the minority...but I just think a ' singing corner ' cringe in itself, detracts from the rest of the ground making any spontaneous noise.

24 minutes ago, spudski said:

Thankfully the players don't have to hear it.

However...it is recordings of actual crowd 'chanting'...and that's how we sound. I guess someone's pressing buttons etc etc...but it's not the first time it's been mentioned. I've heard people say within ear shot that ' I'd wish they'd sing something different to that monotony'.

Perhaps I'm in the minority...but I just think a ' singing corner ' cringe in itself, detracts from the rest of the ground making any spontaneous noise.

Yeah fair enough and i'm sure you're not alone in that view - personally not something i've been overly bothered by or thought about TBH - just feel in general football atmosphere is sadly not as it was, or I remembered, going to watch City home and away with my Dad and Brother in my yoof.

Archived