IGNORED

Beating Rotherham

Port Said Red

If we can push on and beat Rotherham on Saturday, we could take another jump up the table. Looking at the fixtures from the weekend there are a few potential banana skins, or chances of teams cancelling each other out in the top 10. I think the perfect results for us would be....

Cardiff City  V Swansea City - Draw, both sides dropping points would work best for us in the long run.

Birmingham City V Watford - Home win, I think Birmingham are capable of winning this.

Blackburn Rovers V Norwich City - Draw or home win, 

AFC Bournemouth V Huddersfield Town - Obviously a shock would be nice, but I can't see beyond a home win here unfortunately

Wayne Rooney's Derby County V Stoke City  - Can the spud faced one help us out here? A draw is the best I can see.

Luton Town V Preston North End - Draw

Middlesbrough V Millwall - Draw

Nottingham Forest V Brentford - Away win :(  I watched the highlights of Forest's game last night, and I thought they looked like they had gone backwards if anything, they looked totally disinterested.

Queens Park Rangers V Reading  - I am going Home win. No one seems to know which QPR will turn up half the time, but they are capable of raising their game. It looked like Joao limped off last night, if he is unavailable it could make a big difference.

Rotherham United V Bristol City - Away win, I just think we are starting to tick, there were some good signs last night that Bakinson and Nagy complement each other well and Semenyo is due a goal or two for all his hard work.

If all this was to happen we would have the following table and I would be heading to the shops for a last minute lottery ticket purchase. :) 

Norwich      34
B'Mouth      34
City             33
Swansea     31
Brentford    31
Watford      30
Reading      30

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

If we can push on and beat Rotherham on Saturday, we could take another jump up the table. Looking at the fixtures from the weekend there are a few potential banana skins, or chances of teams cancelling each other out in the top 10. I think the perfect results for us would be....

Cardiff City  V Swansea City - Draw, both sides dropping points would work best for us in the long run.

Birmingham City V Watford - Home win, I think Birmingham are capable of winning this.

AFC Bournemouth V Huddersfield Town - Obviously a shock would be nice, but I can't see beyond a home win here unfortunately

Wayne Rooney's Derby County V Stoke City  - Can the spud faced one help us out here? A draw is the best I can see.

Nottingham Forest V Brentford - Away win :(  I watched the highlights of Forest's game last night, and I thought they looked like they had gone backwards if anything, they looked totally disinterested.

Queens Park Rangers V Reading  - I am going Home win. No one seems to know which QPR will turn up half the time, but they are capable of raising their game. It looked like Joao limped off last night, if he is unavailable it could make a big difference.

Rotherham United V Bristol City - Away win, I just think we are starting to tick, there were some good signs last night that Bakinson and Nagy complement each other well and Semenyo is due a goal or two for all his hard work.

If all this was to happen we would have the following table and I would be heading to the shops for a last minute lottery ticket purchase. :) 

Norwich      34
B'Mouth      34
City             33
Swansea     31
Brentford    31
Watford      30
Reading      30

Good analysis, thanks for this. Nailed on Rotherham home win then.

13 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Norwich      34
B'Mouth      34
City             33
Swansea     31
Brentford    31
Watford      30
Reading      30

You’ve not seen our record at Rotherham over the last 20 years or so then....

32 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Norwich      34
B'Mouth      34
City             33
Swansea     31
Brentford    31
Watford      30
Reading      30

Great work on this Port. Surely we will win 

23 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

During my 20ish years following Bristol City, the phrase "if we could just beat..." only ever ends up going one way.

During my 40ish years following Bristol City, the phrase "if we could just beat..." only ever ends up going one way.

6 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Rotherham are rock bottom of the form league. One point from the last five games, I think.

So they’re due a win.

Hopefully we are starting to see in comparison where we were in a similar position last season at this time. The next 3 or 4 will be vital and out of the next 4 I’m going for 9 points out of a possible 12.

1 minute ago, City oz said:

Hopefully we are starting to see in comparison where we were in a similar position last season at this time. The next 3 or 4 will be vital and out of the next 4 I’m going for 9 points out of a possible 12.

Only lost 2 at this stage last season but a point fewer;

Bristol City (after 17 matches in the same league/division)
  GP W D L GF GA Pts * Comparison
2020-2021 17 9 3 5 20 16 30 -
2019-2020 17 7 8 2 25 21 29 + 1 pts
2018-2019 17 6 4 7 20 19 22 + 8 pts
2017-2018 17 8 7 2 26 16 31 -1 pts
2016-2017 17 7 3 7 23 20 24 + 6 pts
2015-2016 17 3 7 7 18 27 16 + 14 pts
2012-2013 17 3 3 11 25 34 12 + 18 pts
2011-2012 17 4 4 9 16 28 16 + 14 pts
2010-2011 17 4 5 8 17 28 17 + 13 pts

Rotherham is a difficaul game as all others in this leauge. If we are solid in defence again and let the ball and legs run fast we have a good chance to take all points. Its football and its very hard to predict this leauge. Im optimistic and think we can take all points. Its time for QPR to take 3 points. Birmingham is good at the moment and think they will win again. They beat us and Reading away, they have a good manager and good players.

27 minutes ago, ooRya said:

During my 40ish years following Bristol City, the phrase "if we could just beat..." only ever ends up going one way.

During my 60ish years following Bristol City, the phrase.......................No I just can't!    IMHO It will be a draw ?

During my 50 plus years following Bristol City , the phrase “ we now have a run of winnable games coming up” only ever ends up going the same way as “ if we could only beat...."

6 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Remarkably, our next five games are all against clubs currently in the bottom half of the table - ie Rotherham, Millwall, Preston, Wycombe and Luton.

On paper, that looks like a good opportunity.

In reality, it will probably make no difference at all!

All that means in reality is that our "happy friends" on the matchday thread who had predicted absolute carnage last night against Bayern, sorry Blackburn, now have the "can't even beat these" card to play for a few matches. These are win/win games for them.

We won't beat Preston - that's a 100% cast iron certainty!!

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

At this stage last season, Johnson had reeled me in again into thinking he was on to something.

He's such a catfish manager!

I think we then lost 6 of the next 9 (winning the other 3), sending City fans into a well known state of schizophrenia; 'oh look, we're actually good...oh, no we're terrible...good? No, terrible...agghhhhh'

2 hours ago, Baba Yaga said:

Leeds stood out as the team we haven't won away at since I started supporting City (and played a few times), but looks like I overlooked Rotherham. Hopefully that ends this weekend!

Traditionally City have rolled into the smaller club grounds with the conviction of their superiority and got their  arses kicked.

We are not that club any more but a smaller club often has a better team because they lack the means to chop and change. 

We are probably too embarrassed to highlight our poor record at the Millers ground whilst it’s acceptable to do badly against bigger clubs. 

Anyhow, yesterday’s gone we cannot change the past only the future. 

Here’s to a steely performance and three stolen points . 

Holden revolution.

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

We lost gameweek 18 of 2017-18.

It was a 2-1 defeat at Preston. We player an exciting young trio of Paterson, Reid and O'Dowda behind Djuric. Woodrow scored our consolation goal.

So, beating Rotherham would make Dean Holden the 18 games KING!

LJ did then win 4 on the trot though to take him, I presume, to a whopping 43 points after 22 games, moving City to within a couple of games of that Wolves match *shudder*

I'm thinking draw.

Don't remember the last time we won at Rotherham- we've played them every now and then in the last 20 odd years and again don't remember. Started in 1998, unsure when we last won there.

Nonetheless, quite a lot of sides in and around face off this Saturday and a number thereafter. Could be a good period- but thinking draw.

On the start point, this start is also superior at this level after 17 games even to 2007/08- ie the Playoff Final season, 2008/09 and 2009/10.

27, 25 and 26 pts respectively.

Archived