IGNORED

Beating Rotherham

Port Said Red

2 hours ago, pride of the west said:

Rotherham have had an extras days rest mind which could make a big difference bang in the middle of this block of games. That said they are pony and we should atleast try to take the game to them

Well I've looked at their home games, while not fantastic they appear to be a bit of a tougher nut to crack than that at home.

Of their 10 goals at home conceded, in 8 games:

1. 4 came within the last 10 mins.
  2. Of all the goals conceded, 3 were penalties, two were own goals.
  3. Of the ten at any time, two were after going down to 10 men- though as it happens these were both in the last 10 mins.

This is good and bad- it's bad as it shows that they're not easy to beat at home necessarily, but it also suggests they can be susceptible late on, may concede own goals- taking the game to them is one positive there, and could be susceptible to the odd red card- that'd make our game quite a bit easier.

On the other hand, 3 of those 8 games were vs Bournemouth, Brentford, Norwich- and of their wins, they were the first side to defeat Preston on the road this season- ie Preston on the road were unbeaten before Rotherham away.

36 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well I've looked at their home games, while not fantastic they appear to be a bit of a tougher nut to crack than that at home.

Of their 10 goals at home conceded, in 8 games:

1. 4 came within the last 10 mins.
  2. Of all the goals conceded, 3 were penalties, two were own goals.
  3. Of the ten at any time, two were after going down to 10 men- though as it happens these were both in the last 10 mins.

This is good and bad- it's bad as it shows that they're not easy to beat at home necessarily, but it also suggests they can be susceptible late on, may concede own goals- taking the game to them is one positive there, and could be susceptible to the odd red card- that'd make our game quite a bit easier.

On the other hand, 3 of those 8 games were vs Bournemouth, Brentford, Norwich- and of their wins, they were the first side to defeat Preston on the road this season- ie Preston on the road were unbeaten before Rotherham away.

I want to see an aggressive high press. Force errors in the defence. Torment them. Punish them.

19 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Anyone else remember playing them at home many years ago when we were doing pretty well and they hadn`t won since God was a boy? a Tuesday night in pouring rain and, of course, they dicked us 2-0. Earl Jean got both I think.

Yep. I think that may have been the game that got Joe Jordan the boot?

First half in a nutshell

Exceptionally poor half from us, we’ve created nothing and allowed them to dominate. Really fortunate it’s only 2-0, on another day the challenge from TR would have resulted in a penalty. We really have not competed and have been far too easily brushed aside in every area of the pitch.

Think FD might replace AS at half time.

Need a huge improvement in the next 45 minutes. 

1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

First half in a nutshell

Exceptionally poor half from us, we’ve created nothing and allowed them to dominate. Really fortunate it’s only 2-0, on another day the challenge from TR would have resulted in a penalty. We really have not competed and have been far too easily brushed aside in every area of the pitch.

Think FD might replace AS at half time.

Need a huge improvement in the next 45 minutes. 

Second half - more of the same ...

Archived