IGNORED

Massengo

ZiderheadTJ

Feel a bit disheartened not to see him playing hardly any football this season. Even if it’s not for the first team maybe the under 23s or a loan in January.

I’m sure he’s desperate just too play football and looked rusty when he came on the other day.

Last season against QPR at home I think, he was more box to box getting on the end of things and going for the diving headers or Fulham away where he fitted in the whole team. 

What’s changed? 
The attacking side of his game seems as if it were coached out of him.

Change in Manager, doesn’t look like he’s fancied by Holden.

The championship is a strong league and HNM seems to get pushed off the ball easily. 
Bringing the likes of Chris Brunt in hasn’t helped him in the pecking order.

Struggling to see where he fits in when Walsh and Williams come back. 

What do we think? A loan in January? A drop down to the under 23s for match fitness and minutes played? 

23's football isn't possible due to the different squads, Holden said as much when saying the 3 23's lads with the first team are now with them for a while as they can't just drop in and out anymore. Given HNM has had about 10 mins of league football under Dean, shows where the change is as to why there's less football for him.

Holden namechecked him last night when talking about players showing a good attitude despite not being involved. Acknowledged that he's probably not happy not to be playing but he's working hard and ready to take his chance if he gets it.

Ideally he'd go out on loan but he'd need Walsh and Williams to be back by the end of January to have any chance of it.

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

Ideally he'd go out on loan but he'd need Walsh and Williams to be back by the end of January to have any chance of it.

Perhaps a reason for Zac Smith's 1st team involvement as a placeholder until Williams and Walsh are back to allow HNM to go out on loan?

We barely have enough players to fill the bench as it is.

Based on Williams & Walsh’s abysmal availability records so far & the fact that Chris Brunt is 36 next week, so is definitely getting towards the end of his career, we would be absolutely mad to think about loaning him out.

53 minutes ago, ZiderheadTJ said:

Feel a bit disheartened not to see him playing hardly any football this season. Even if it’s not for the first team maybe the under 23s or a loan in January.

I’m sure he’s desperate just too play football and looked rusty when he came on the other day.

Last season against QPR at home I think, he was more box to box getting on the end of things and going for the diving headers or Fulham away where he fitted in the whole team. 

What’s changed? 

The championship is a strong league and HNM seems to get pushed off the ball easily. 

What do we think? A loan in January? A drop down to the under 23s for match fitness and minutes played? 

A loan or sold in January along with Walsh I think is most likely. Certainly doesn't seen to be in Holdens plans.

I actually think he could have done a job late in the game yesterday. His ability to get around the pitch really helps when we have tired legs trying to close out a game. If we don't want to change the midfield, put him in one of the forward roles as an extremely defensive no 10.

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

I actually think he could have done a job late in the game yesterday. His ability to get around the pitch really helps when we have tired legs trying to close out a game. If we don't want to change the midfield, put him in one of the forward roles as an extremely defensive no 10.

I believe he plays as a '10' for France?

2 hours ago, ZiderheadTJ said:

What’s changed? 

Needs a loan. Good young talent.

Needs first team football to develop 

1 hour ago, mozo said:

I thought that. Blackburn were passing it around nicely in midfield in the last 10-15 mins and Bakinson, while on the ball is excellent, was clearly out of puff by then. Swapping them over would have added some much needed energy/closing down.

6 hours ago, mozo said:

I thought that as well. Bakinson seemed to run out of steam, not surprisingly having not played a full game for several matches, so I would have thought fresh legs would have helped. I remember his first game. Swept a ball out from the centre spot to the right wing, and set off at pace tomeet the cross inside the penalty area and put it just wide. All that skill seems to have evaporated. 

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Massengo is currently too lightweight for the hurly burly of Championship midfield. He needs to beef up and that’ll happen naturally as he matures into a man.

I put that point to MA at Senior Reds earlier this year and he poo-pooed it........:cool2:

I disagree RR.  Plenty of slight players in the Championship.  Depends what role you want him to perform.  Nagy is hardly Charles Atlas either is he!

Just now, Davefevs said:

I disagree RR.  Plenty of slight players in the Championship.  Depends what role you want him to perform.  Nagy is hardly Charles Atlas either is he!

No he’s fairly diminutive but has well built upper body strength - something Massengo doesn’t have yet.

Just now, Robbored said:

No he’s fairly diminutive but has well built upper body strength - something Massengo doesn’t have yet.

Not sure I’ve ever seen Nagy’s torso.

My view is that Massengo is more a tad more physical than Nagy.  I think he’s lost a bit of agility and sharpness from bulking up over lockdown...that probably needs games to recover by playing minutes.

22 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Massengo is currently too lightweight for the hurly burly of Championship midfield. He needs to beef up and that’ll happen naturally as he matures into a man.

I put that point to MA at Senior Reds earlier this year and he poo-pooed it........:cool2:

You could say that about Nagy couldn't you? He's not a big unit, but puts himself about. 

He's a young lad, just needs games under his belt to improve. 

Edit = someone already beat me to the point! That'll teach me for not reading entire thread! 

56 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Did you expect him to agree with you?

54 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not sure I’ve ever seen Nagy’s torso.

My view is that Massengo is more a tad more physical than Nagy.  I think he’s lost a bit of agility and sharpness from bulking up over lockdown...that probably needs games to recover by playing minutes.

Absolutely so, not for the first time he is talking absolute nonsense.

The big thing for me last night was probably for the first time this season it looked like we were playing with a midfield rather than sacrificing it in some hybrid 6-0-4 formation!!

With Nagy and Bakinson in there you see a lot more of O’Dowda on the ball in areas we want him on the ball and it will help Paterson when he returns too.

I think Massengo will inevitably be involved over the next few weeks. The schedule is absolute madness (I understand it has to be) and there will be more injuries and fatigue.

Archived