IGNORED

Bents

glastonred

In all the many years I have been following City (44) I have never had so much confidence in a goalkeeper than Dan Bentley. In my opinion he is the best we've had for a long long time. His all round understanding of what he needs to do in any situation is immense. His marshalling of the defence is clearly paying off with our number of clean sheets. He only seems to concede through either deflections or hard shots or headers from close range. I hope he plays for us for years to come. He will be very hard to replace with anyone better. What do you folks think? Am I being too gushworthy?!

Not gushworthy at all and I would agree. I can't think of a better consistent keeper we've had in a long long time.

I think perhaps except Foster/Krul - he is the best keeper in the Championship. Looking back over games, he has already saved us 10+ points in my opinion.

Always rated him at Southend, then at Brentford and was personally delighted when he signed.

Had one poor (by his standards) season at Brentford and a slightly rocky start with us, but we are now the beneficiaries of it. He's clearly working hard in training and hope he is our keeper for the next 5+ seasons. 

No you're not! In my time we've had the shorter shot-stopping goalies like Welch, Basso and Fielding. Phillips wasn't very imposing either.

So to finally have a proper modern day keeper with height, reach and very good technique is a real positive.

If we're looking for flaws, he's prone to spells of low confidence. 

But, he's definitely got Premier League potential.

A bit gushing for me. He's a good keeper, and as good as we've had for a while, but there are parts of his game that sometimes concern me. I'm never totally confident when he comes to punch, he has a tendency like many modern keepers to use the awful shovelling technique to get the ball away instead of safely taking into the chest, and he takes every second available to kick the ball clear, will at some point get caught out and nearly did last night. He's good enough but needs to improve further to be close to my favourite keepers. 

As for mozo suggesting Basso was short, at around 6ft 1 he wasn't short and Bentley is barely an inch taller. 

His positioning has been absolutely top-level this season.

Some of the real basics, like the passing angles he creates for his back four/five, giving an option but meaning they don't have to pass it back towards the middle of the goal, have been top notch.

I think the big tell will be when he drops a bollock at some point. Because he will, like all goalkeepers. His season unravelled a bit last season after a couple of poor errors - though I also suspect he probably wasn't managed particularly well either. We all know LJ loved to dig a player out!

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

I still laugh when I hear a commentary of a match when JB was playing ;

’ It’s Bent... It has to be ...’

but it wasn’t. 

Poor old Junior came from the O’Dowda School of Finishing.

I’m not sure if I’m imagining this but did Junior once win the fastest footballer in England contest.

I swear every club had to put forward its fastest player and then they all Went through the heats process before Junior won the final.

or it could have been a very elaborate dream!!

22 minutes ago, James54De said:

Not like Harry at all. 

We are a little tetchy, aren’t we James. 
Stop taking me so seriously. 

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Football opinions are subjective so impossible to prove. 

Exactly Robbo. Exactly. 
Good to agree with you for once ?

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

No way, he only played 48 games, and none of them in the top tier iirc.

Got to be John Shaw with 103 successive appearances when we were in the top league.

Although Gibson never played in the top flight he was an incredible keeper, Don't know his exact height but can't remember seeing a shorter keeper down the gate.

The fans loved him for sure.

Would be my player of the season so far. Not sure you can make as good an argument for anyone else. Vyner would be next but he started a bit rougher. Everyone elses form has been too erratic or missed too many games. 

Anyway, I think he is in the mix for best in the division. Krul and Foster very experienced but after them don’t think it is that close but probably forgetting someone. At his age, there are some prem teams that should be looking at him. 

Remember Bents coming to the Gate with Brentford, even the way he walked out to warm out pissed me off. Just oozed confidence, and looked like he owned the place

Pretty sure we were linked with him when he left Southend for Brentford and feeling like we'd missed out on someone a bit special

Wind the clock on a few years, and he's all ours. Love him, top keeper. If only we could keep a fit and settled back 3 / 4 in front of him 

Archived